SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 07:57 PM   #1
MDSaturnSL2
MDSaturnSL2 is on a distinguished road

Default Coolant Temp Sensor

Hello Saturn fans, Im a newbie, I own a 1997 saturn sl2. The most I have ever done is change the oil, and do my air filter. Other than that, nada. So my first official "repair" job was me trying to replace my Coolant Temp sensor. However when trying to get the wire cap off of the Sensor, my long nose pliers slipped and caught one of the wires, pulled it out (the yellow wire) So am I screwed, and if so how much money am I out?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MDSaturnSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MDSaturnSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2003, 08:12 PM   #2
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Did you break anything?
If not, you're fine.
If the wire is cut, then you just need to connect them back togather, ask somebody you know that can help you.

It'd be a LOT easier if you take off the intake tubing before you get to the ECTS.

Here's a how to.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...threadid=24003

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-13-2003, 08:17 PM   #3
MDSaturnSL2

I can't really tell if its broken, because now it's nightfall and I don't have adequte light. I don't think its broken though, I think the wire just came out, I'll know tomorrow morning when I have good light, thanks for the link BTW

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MDSaturnSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-13-2003, 08:21 PM   #4
amazinghl
Master Member

If you indeed broke it, chances are that your car will not start.

You'll need another connector to replace that one... but we'll see.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-13-2003, 08:41 PM   #5
MDSaturnSL2

Well it started, and I let it idle a bit, so I don't think is broken.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-13-2003, 09:25 PM   #6
Saturn-Eh!
Saturn-Eh! is on a distinguished road

If the wire came out with the terminal attached, then it can be re-inserted. If the wire was pulled off of the terminal, then the connector will need to be replaced, and costs roughly $25 at a Saturn retailer.

The car will start without the coolant temp sensor, as the pcm will read -40 and give the engine way more fuel than required (unless it is actually -40 where you are). It will do this for about 5 minutes, and then ignore the temp sensor reading, and approximate the temperature from there on in, as well as turn on the SES light.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn-Eh!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn-Eh! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-13-2003, 09:32 PM   #7
SL1-WNY
SL1-WNY is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1
1995 SL1

Ya whoops...

I did something stupid today too. I saw the coolant sensor for the gauge, saw it was a green and yellow striped wire, and mistaked the yellow stripe for a second wire...

and replaced that sensor with the ECTS...

I was wondering why the connector had such a tough time gettin on...

And then when I put it back of couse the coolant wasn't very cold (ow)...

I thought "well I don't need a deep well socket, what was he thinking...". Guess i do need one

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL1-WNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL1-WNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-14-2003, 01:21 AM   #8
amazinghl
Master Member

You need a 13mm deep socekt.. and i hope you didn't throw that dash coolant temperature sensor away...

00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-14-2003, 12:25 PM   #9
MDSaturnSL2

Well the good news......

I got the ECTS replaced.....

The Bad News.....

The wire WAS indeed pulled out of the terminal, so im gonna set up an apointment with Saturn on Monday. Hopefully this won't cost much, seing as how I just need the wires, and Tedrmial replaced, since I already replaced the ECTS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-14-2003, 01:05 PM   #10
amazinghl
Master Member

$36 min, that's only counting labor... but you might have bettery luck.

00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-15-2003, 12:22 PM   #11
MDSaturnSL2

Mad 72.88!!!!!! WTF!?

yeah so I called saturn today, the Wire terminal is only 27 bucks, but the Labor to replace the terminal, is gonna run me 72.88. Thats Ridiculous, all they are probably going to do is solder the wires into the new terminal, so that being said, Im gonna try and soder it myself. I was wondering if anyone on here could verify my assumption, that if I have the new wire terminal, that all I have to do is solder the wires into it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-15-2003, 01:11 PM   #12
amazinghl
Master Member

Yes. Then you put electronic tape around it.

00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-15-2003, 09:42 PM   #13
Saturn-Eh!

The new terminal will come with crimp connectors that seal with heat - much better than soldering.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn-Eh! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2003, 10:41 PM   #14
FrozenPilot
FrozenPilot is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

I was able to put on a new connector last winter. Had to use a good butane lighter for the shrink tubing, but it turned out good.

Its all about the coffee...

'06 Mazda 6i & '95 Saturn SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FrozenPilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FrozenPilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2003, 10:48 AM   #15
David R
Advanced Member
David R is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
1997 SW2

hey Saturn-eh!

I'd appreciate hearing what dealer has the connector for $25. I was just at a dealer and they quoted (with a straight face) $50. I'm looking at wiring in a hack on the sensor. Every winter I go through this. In the three years that I've owed my SW2 I've replaced both sensors, replaced the thermostat three times and cleaned it twice. I've even rigged a hot air draw on to the filter box. My fuel economy has dropped to 21mpg (cdn) in the city, for +2's to -3's C. If I don't let it warm up some, it gets as bad as 15mpg(cdn).

David R

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David R's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David R reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2003, 10:51 AM   #16
FrozenPilot
FrozenPilot is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

I know i paid $30 US for my connector with tax, so $50 CDN doesn't sound far off.

Its all about the coffee...

'06 Mazda 6i & '95 Saturn SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FrozenPilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FrozenPilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2003, 04:58 PM   #17
Saturn-Eh!

Quote:
Originally posted by David R
hey Saturn-eh!

I'd appreciate hearing what dealer has the connector for $25. I was just at a dealer and they quoted (with a straight face) $50. I'm looking at wiring in a hack on the sensor. Every winter I go through this. In the three years that I've owed my SW2 I've replaced both sensors, replaced the thermostat three times and cleaned it twice. I've even rigged a hot air draw on to the filter box. My fuel economy has dropped to 21mpg (cdn) in the city, for +2's to -3's C. If I don't let it warm up some, it gets as bad as 15mpg(cdn).

David R
I tend to "Americanize" my quotes for parts, as most of the people who frequent this site are south of the 49th. I think the To retailers have all agreed to sell parts at list +10% As a side note, I have recently chopped up my SL2 parts car, and the connector (perfectly good, no green terminals, just a little dirty) is yours for a 12 pack of A&W root beer if you want it - I live in Hamilton.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2003, 08:32 PM   #18
David R
Advanced Member

2009 Astra XE
1997 SW2

Saturn-eh, give me a couple of days on this.

I've faked a connector with some gold terminals from a mini-D off a computer card. I'm running a 5K ohm resistor in parallel with the sensor. Looks good so far, the temp gauge is a little above 3/8ths after 10 minutes with +5 C temperatures.

The car is real fussy, if that gauge is anything less than 3/8ths the engine is idled-up.

Best

David

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help David R reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-18-2003, 11:14 AM   #19
David R
Advanced Member

2009 Astra XE
1997 SW2

Saturn-eh.

Thanks for the offer, but the resistor only works for near zero temperatures.

Today it was -5C when I started the car, by the time I finished scraping the windshield it was at the 1/4 mark. Unfortunately the 15-20 minutes of stop and go weren't long enough to get it to 3/8 position.

Logically I should replace the thermostat, except I just did that. It seems like when I do this, everything is good for a couple of drives then it goes back to "normal". I've read that oil will screw-up this style of thermostat, but there isn't any oil in the coolant.

Looks like I'll be using the plastic panel in front of the Rad again this winter.

Best

David

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-23-2003, 08:23 PM   #20
MDSaturnSL2

Thumbs Up Fixed

So I finally had the time to sit down and fix my Coolant Temp Sensor. I got the wire terminal from Saturn, for about 27 bucks. No soldering was needed, just strip the wires, place them in the splice, crimp the splice, heat-seal the splice with butane lighter, and thatís it! So I just wanted to say thanks for the advice, on my first ever Saturn Repair Job. I know it was simple, but there is no greater satisfaction than fixing something by yourself your fist time!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread