SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2020, 02:57 PM   #1
Ccrussell
Ccrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL1
1999 SC2
Default Transmission repairs

Hi,
I purchased a 400 dollar sc2 a few months ago, automatic, would barely move under its own power. I recently torqued the input nut and got that out of the way. Didn't seem too loose but did turn a bit until the torque value was reached.
Next is a new valve body with the sonnax upgrades.
I pulled the old filter while draining the oil and was horrified to see small metal particles suspended in the oil. BTW there was no magnet under the filter.
Is this the kiss of death? Otherwise so far things looked clean inside.
Still hoping for a 5 speed to swap in its place but this is it for now.
Thoughts? Car had barely had any movement forward or reverse gear before I started tearing into it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ccrussell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ccrussell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ccrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2020, 04:00 PM   #2
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Transmission repairs

Junkyard tranny - out of a matching car with a connecting rod stuck through the engine block.... That way it's a high probability that the transmission worked at the car's demise.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:12 PM   #3
Ccrussell
Ccrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL1
1999 SC2

Yes but will this trans still work?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Ccrussell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-11-2020, 08:15 PM   #4
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Dunno.

My crystal ball broke..

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2020, 02:49 AM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

They didn't work from the factory. I used to have dealer documentation to prove it from a '97 SW2 that got a rebuilt unit at 22k miles and when I got the car at 114k miles...it needed ANOTHER MP7 (only about 90k on it this time)!
Screw that, throw a manual trans in it and be done with problems.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:45 AM   #6
Ccrussell

1999 SL1
1999 SC2

Yes probably true. Working on finding a donar car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2020, 02:04 PM   #7
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

The bulk of my 20 + vehicles have been automatics, and only with the Saturn S's did I need to change fluid every 30K miles.

However; that being said: Look, not everyone of us wants to clutch their way through bumper to bumper traffic. It gets weary.

My daughter has a Nissan Versa Note hatchback automatic trans, gets 44 mpg consistently, her hubby has a Nissan Versa Sedan with a 5 speed, he gets about 35 mpg.

If you like clutching, go ahead.
If you don't miss clutching, go ahead.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:06 PM   #8
onlinebiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
The bulk of my 20 + vehicles have been automatics, and only with the Saturn S's did I need to change fluid every 30K miles.

However; that being said: Look, not everyone of us wants to clutch their way through bumper to bumper traffic. It gets weary.

My daughter has a Nissan Versa Note hatchback automatic trans, gets 44 mpg consistently, her hubby has a Nissan Versa Sedan with a 5 speed, he gets about 35 mpg.

If you like clutching, go ahead.
If you don't miss clutching, go ahead.
I have both...

It occasionally gets confusing - stomping on the brake to shift.....

It was worse going from.Harley to Norton or Triumph....

HD had left foot shifting - Norton and Triumph had right foot.... Except the 77 Triumph - that was on the left......

All time worst - the 68 Triumph chopper I built.

Left hand throttle (that worked backwards) - left hand front brake. Right hand tank mount shifter - right foot.clutch - left foot rear brake.....

You got used to it after a while...

Bonus - thieves couldn't ride it....

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2020, 10:00 PM   #9
Mister_Cee
Mister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2

"Bonus - thieves couldn't ride it...."

That's pretty much why, in addition to a car alarm (and the fact that there are more enticing theft targets out there) the "passive theft deterrent system" in my SW2 IS the manual tranny lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mister_Cee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mister_Cee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mister_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote