SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 07:32 PM   #1
Popit
Popit is on a distinguished road

Happy It's possible to add Cruise Control On VUE

Yes, it's possible to had cruise control on Saturn VUE. My dealer did it on my VUE.

What he did:
- Install new steering wheel,
- Install 2 new switch on the steering (cruise on/off , res/accel/set/coast),
- Install 3 wires between IP connector (near steering) and fuses block (minifuses),
- Re-program BCM (Body Control Module) and ECM (Electronic Control Module)

The technician taked 2.3 hours.

I'm very happy of the result.

Popit

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Popit's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Popit reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2003, 09:48 PM   #2
Hobbes
Hobbes is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan

Popit,

Cooooool! Details, details, we need details!

Could you post a picture of the result? Also, if possible, would you ask the technician to write down the exact procedure he used? I'd like to take that to my dealer and see if they could do it. How much did it cost (if you don't mind my asking)?

You just made a CC'less VUE owner really happy!

Thanks!

Hobbes

2004 ION3 Sedan, 5sp auto
2003 VUE 5sp, Hitch, DIY CC
1996 SL2 5sp

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hobbes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hobbes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2003, 11:12 AM   #3
bk63
bk63 is on a distinguished road

Yes how many $$$$$ ??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bk63's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bk63 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2003, 11:55 AM   #4
Hobbes

2004 ION-3 Sedan
Default CC installation price guess

I got a private message from Popit with more information, but since it was a PM, I won't quote it here. I've asked him to post the same information to this thread. However, it should be OK to say that he said it cost almost $550 (Canadian) plus taxes.

In the U.S., I'm guessing that it would run about $200 for the steering wheel (quoted from someone else on the forum), an unknown amount for the switches (if they come separate from the wheel), and the hourly charge for doing the installation, reprogramming, etc.

Let's say $50/hr. times two hours + $50 for switches, so that brings the total to about $350 to $400 (USD) including tax. I think I'd be willing to pay that much to get "factory cruise". Plus, I'd be a lot more satisfied with my VUE since it would be much more pleasant on long trips.

Hobbes

1996 SL2 5sp

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Hobbes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2003, 01:55 PM   #5
Hobbes

2004 ION-3 Sedan
Default Cautious dealer, possible cheaper solution

It seems that my Saturn dealer/retailer is being very cautious about this whole issue. I called them this morning and asked about prices on the steering wheel and switches. The service person on the phone quoted $203.29 and $69.16 respectively. Seems like a lot just to get switches with wires routing through the steering column.

However, the Saturn guy said that they would not do the steering wheel swap because it would put it out of official specification and that there could be warranty problems because of that.

On the plus side, he said the BCM/ECM reprogramming would be very easy and didn't mind doing that at all.

Soooo, what I'm thinking about is having the reprogramming done, and then wiring my own set of switches into the instrument panel connector directly without going through the steering wheel. It seems like this could be handled using a single on/off switch and one momentary, two-way toggle switch.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram showing how the "real" switches are electrically connected to the rest of the car?

Hobbes

1996 SL2 5sp

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2003, 07:55 PM   #6
our1vue
our1vue is on a distinguished road

Popit.
You lucky stiff :-). I hope to be 1 month
behind you getting it on my vue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to our1vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help our1vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2003, 10:08 PM   #7
Popit

Default warranty problems

Hobbes,

The only warranty problem you could have is with your steering because it's the only part you modify. Do you think you will have problem with your steering ? I don't think.

Don't be anxious. If your dealer don't want to do the job, you can go to another dealer.

Bye.

Popit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Popit reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2003, 10:19 PM   #8
Hobbes

2004 ION-3 Sedan

I'm guessing since they don't know me very well at my current dealer (where I bought the VUE), they are reluctant to get involved. I may drive over to the dealer where I bought my '96 SL2. I got to know the service manager pretty well over the course of the six years that I had that car.

At the very least, I can get the BCM/ECM settings changed at my current dealer and fight with the switches later.

Hobbes

1996 SL2 5sp

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2003, 09:51 AM   #9
Hobbes

2004 ION-3 Sedan

The following information was originally sent to me by Popit in a private message. He said that I could post it here. Thanks!

Quote:
Hi Hobbes,

What kind of detail ? All I know it's what I written on my first message. But maybe this could help you.

First, I check the manual shop with the technician of the VUE to search what I need. We saw the cruise control detail and looked that I needed a new steering (with hole) and the two switch (on/off and SET/COAST/ACCEL/RES). The switch are sold separately of the steering. After, the technician looked for the switch on the break pedal and it was there.

Finally, the technician told me that he has to re-program the BCM and ECM (I supposed it would be easy for him).

The technician completed the job and made a first road test. It does'nt work. He looked on the Electrical manual of the VUE and made some test to find that my VUE does'nt have the cable between the IP connector (a connector at the end of the steering) and the minifuses block (3 wires). He installed and connected the 3 wires and made another road test. The cruise worked correctly.

The technician told me that it was the first time he installed a cruise control on a VUE.

All the job for 548$ (Canadian Dollars) + tax.

I hope you will have enough information.

Bye

Popit

Hobbes

1996 SL2 5sp

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2003, 08:11 PM   #10
Hobbes

2004 ION-3 Sedan
Default BCM reprogrammed

I took my VUE in to the dealer this afternoon to have the BCM reprogrammed so that it thinks I have cruise control. The programming system was pretty cool. The technician plugged a hand-held controller into the computer port under the dash, and connected what looked like an Ethernet cable to it. Then he used a Windows based program to bring up the current settings and switch the CC option from No to Yes. Everything else stayed the same. Finally, he sent the new program to the BCM.

He was very curious if all this is going to work, and wanted to know how everything turned out. One thing he was concerned about was that he didn't see a cruise-disable switch on the clutch. I think the break pedal had one. I'll find out later if I need one on the clutch.

Once I figure out exactly what kind of switches I need (I'm probably not going to buy a new steering wheel and "official" switches), and where they tie into the electrical system, I should be all set.

Hobbes

1996 SL2 5sp

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2003, 10:08 PM   #11
Popit

Default clutch switch

Hi Hobbes,

If I remember what I saw in the Manual Shop of the VUE, you will need a clutch switch. Ask to your dealer to look in the manual at the section Cruise-Control.

Let me know.

Bye.

Popit

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2003, 10:55 AM   #12
Hobbes

2004 ION-3 Sedan

Hi Popit,

Thanks for the tip. I'm expecting to get some wiring information from Our1Vue in a few days, so I'll see then where the clutch switch fits into the whole thing. It's probably a very simple switch that Saturn will charge a bundle for, but which I can make for $5.00.

Hobbes

Hobbes

1996 SL2 5sp

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2003, 12:42 PM   #13
03VUEAWDVTI
Advanced Member
03VUEAWDVTI is on a distinguished road

Hey Hobbes, have you thought of grabbing a wheel out of a wrecked VUE? You would then have your wheel and switches for cheap that way. If the bag is popped, so what, transplant yours into the "new" wheel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 03VUEAWDVTI's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 03VUEAWDVTI reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2003, 04:30 PM   #14
Hobbes

2004 ION-3 Sedan

Hey 03VUEAWDVTI,

That has crossed my mind, but I didn't really know how to proceed. Do I just call a junk yard, or is there a better place to get spare parts like this? Also, I'm afraid that in a wreck, the steering might get bent if the driver was holding on to it tightly. Although, I bet the switches would still be in good shape.

I found out that even if you order a new steering wheel, the $200 only gets you the wheel. No switches or air bag! So I would have to transplant my air bag anyway even to a new wheel.

Thanks.

Hobbes

1996 SL2 5sp

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2003, 04:38 PM   #15
our1vue

Hobbes,
There is no clutch switch. All you have to do is
monitor the RPM. Big jump in RPM, means clutch pushed in, means turn off cruise (or on very slippery surface :-)) Sounds like just the wires
are needed. I do remember the dealer saying that
there were two different UHFB for cruise vs non
cruise. Sounds like popit had the right one or
the dealer made a mistake. Guess we'll find out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help our1vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2003, 04:41 PM   #16
our1vue

Hobbs,
Did they just "change" the BCM ? Popit talks
about reprogramming the ECM. But I thought I read
that the ECM gets the options from the BCM at
power on time. Which would mean only the BCM
needed to be changed. So much info, so little
time

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2003, 06:05 PM   #17
Hobbes

2004 ION-3 Sedan

They reprogrammed the BCM with the new settings. Once he chose the new cruise control setting, he had to send about 50K of data back to the BCM. He didn't mess with the ECM at all, and asked another technician there if he had to do that on BCM changes. The other tech. said "no", so just the BCM got touched. I hope they were right!

Quote:
Originally posted by our1vue
Hobbs,
Did they just "change" the BCM ? Popit talks
about reprogramming the ECM. But I thought I read
that the ECM gets the options from the BCM at
power on time. Which would mean only the BCM
needed to be changed. So much info, so little
time

Hobbes

1996 SL2 5sp

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2003, 06:54 PM   #18
our1vue

As for my UHFB comment. Why run the wire though it? Just run the wires from the Steering Wheel switches right to the ECM. Then you don't care about which version of the UHFB you have. Unless
I'm missing something ????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-29-2003, 05:29 PM   #19
our1vue

Popit
Are you still here ? You've been real quiet
lately and we hope you are enjoying your curise
and note having a terrible system failure :-)
Is everything still working ?? I still owe you
a dinner for being the first to get a cruise working. Thanks Our1Vue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-29-2003, 08:27 PM   #20
Popit

Thumbs Up Cruise working very well

Hi Our1Vue,

I was working very hard last week, it' for this reason I were quiet. My Cruise work very very well. No problem at all. Last weekend, I drove 400km still on cruise (around 105km/h), crossing big hill. The cruise (and the VTI) worked very smooth and accuracy. I'm very satisfied.

Bye

Popit

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread