SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2016, 10:41 PM   #1
SweetT
SweetT has a spectacular aura aboutSweetT has a spectacular aura aboutSweetT has a spectacular aura about

Default L300 Intermittent Hard Transmission Shift

I've done lots of research on this issue (that many seem to have) and it seems that it comes down to the pressure control selinoid. My husband wants to try and replace it himself, has anyone done this? Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SweetT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SweetT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SweetT is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2016, 11:22 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: L300 Intermittent Hard Transmission Shift

This isn't a diy project with simply replacing a part without procedures. Is there a reason this conclusion is the only solution? Are there any error codes, symptoms? Any history of this car (mileage, maintenance, parts replaced, mods)?

You might be able to search within these forums for procedures for separating engine from xmission for access to the valve body where the solenoids are located. Access is limited if done at home if engine and xmission aren't removed for better access.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:56 AM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Welcome to SaturnFans, SweetT! There are many members here who are happy to provide their ideas and be of help.

I, too, have had intermittent problems with the pressure control solenoid several years ago. It was on three different occasions spread out over approx. five years. Since then it's been non-existent and there's been no need to attempt a repair.

As has been asked above, what is the mileage and maintenance history of this vehicle, and of this problem in particular? How frequent, or infrequent, is this intermittent problem?

Should your husband attempt to replace this part himself? I think not. However, he would do well to thoroughly research what is required to replace the PCS. It is a big job. Some local libraries have repair manuals in their holdings as mine does. If you cannot find a library with a Chilton or Mitchell manual available to consult and research then you can purchase a subscription to an online repair manual such as Alldatadiy or Mitchell online. These are professional quality manuals as near as one can get to the factory repair manuals, especially since they're based off of them.

http://alldatadiy.com

http://www.eautorepair.net/Marketing/Default.asp

329,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:19 AM   #4
soulsurvives
soulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

It's not a big job, just time consuming. The left strut assembly must be removed along with some stuff on the left side of the engine bay. The left drive shaft might have to come out as well. The engine cradle needs to be lowered some. There is a cover on the left side of the transmission that comes off to get access to the pcs. Disconnect the wire, pull the old one out, install new one, connect wire and put it all back together. Not an easy job and it is very time consuming.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to soulsurvives's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help soulsurvives reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
soulsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:22 AM   #5
soulsurvives
soulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
This isn't a diy project with simply replacing a part without procedures. Is there a reason this conclusion is the only solution? Are there any error codes, symptoms? Any history of this car (mileage, maintenance, parts replaced, mods)?

You might be able to search within these forums for procedures for separating engine from xmission for access to the valve body where the solenoids are located. Access is limited if done at home if engine and xmission aren't removed for better access.
Separating the motor and trans is not needed and this repair is done with motor and trans in the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help soulsurvives reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-30-2016, 11:38 AM   #6
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

So there's enough clearance to be able to lift the valve body cover off of the transmission while it's in the vehicle. Is that correct?

BTW, a big job for me is also time consuming. That time consuming work is the reason why those who've had the job done for them have had to pay a significant labor charge.

A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-30-2016, 02:39 PM   #7
soulsurvives

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You remove the cover just enough to get to the solenoid or you can lower the cradle far enough to remove the cover completely. Definitely not easy...maybe on par with timing belt/water pump or thermostat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-31-2016, 02:24 PM   #8
SweetT
SweetT has a spectacular aura aboutSweetT has a spectacular aura aboutSweetT has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the responses. I a little history on my Saturn. It's a 2001 L300 sedan. I use synthetic oil and take very good care of my car. Just a year ago I had the transmission serviced and just a month ago I had the timing belt changed and while they had it in there I had them go ahead and replace the tensioners and water pump so I wouldn't have to pay that labor cost twice. My car has 134,000 on it and is serviced as needed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SweetT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-31-2016, 03:17 PM   #9
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The information about the transmission service is helpful. When this was done was the transmission flushed or drained? A flush would use about eleven quarts while a drain would take no more than seven.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-31-2016, 06:07 PM   #10
SweetT

The transmission was flushed. I was told it was in incredible condition.

Last edited by SweetT; 12-31-2016 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: Adding

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-31-2016, 07:52 PM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Are you sure this is a xmission problem when it may be engine related? One example from the S-series forums; the infamous engine coolant temperature sensor failed in almost every S-series engine from the entire production, '91-'01. The problems caused by this one faulty sensor (and posted throughout the S-series forums); rich running, flooding startup failure, oil dilution with excess fuel use, damaged piston rings, higher than normal fuel consumption, fouled spark plugs, blacker than normal exhaust, oil everywhere from poor engine running, lost heating from continuous cold engine running, overheating, and erratic xmission shifts. All corrected when the coolant sensor was replaced. No error codes were ever generated from faulty coolant sensors.

Can you describe in more detail the symptoms that lead you to believe this xmission is faulty? And if asked already, does the repair shop that did the timing chain, water pump, and other work give you their diagnosis?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-01-2017, 11:31 AM   #12
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

So at 134K the transmission was flushed. Hmmm?

You may want to read on the internet about the difference between flushing and draining/refilling on high mileage transmissions. There are some horror stories out there.

Some will say, well a flush simply replaces all of the old fluid and that is true BUT what a flush can do is move about crud that is sitting in the transmission to places in the transmission you don't want it to be.

I am not saying that this is the case here, but flushed on higher mileage transmissions can do more harm than good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:07 PM   #13
SweetT

The issue started before the transmission was flushed, that wasn't the first time I had it flushed but I had it done because of the hard shift when going from 1st into 2nd...once in a while. This is not an everyday problem, this is intermittent and can be after a long drive (over an hour) to just tooling around town. My car never does it right away, only after the engine warms up or is under pressure from climbing hills.
What leads me to think it may be the pressure solenoid is lots of research from others that have had the exact issue I have. No one can get an error code unless I can get the light to come on and run it in somewhere, and it's so intermittent that is almost impossible to do because I work the same hours they're open. I have no oil problems, my gas mileage is on target for a 3 liter (26 mpg). The only problem is the hard shift. From what I've read, the problem could lead to more transmission issues if not addressed.
Thank you for replies, it really helps to really narrow it down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-02-2017, 12:02 AM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

So you have seen the check engine light from time to time only to see it extinguished before having a chance to retrieve the code(s)? There are three suggestions to consider; buy or borrow a reader or visit a store like Autozone for free readings. The only thing you can do in each situation is to refrain from shutting off the engine when the cel turns on. Whether or not you buy a reader or borrow one or visit a store for a free scan, don't shut off the engine, period. Plug in a reader and retrieved the error code. If you can do that, it can be the first steps in troubleshooting to minimize guessing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-12-2017, 07:14 PM   #15
SweetT

It's not the check engine light, it's the Wrench light and I have both. I guess most places don't have the scanner for the wrench light.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-13-2017, 12:53 AM   #16
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Check engine lights are read by most generic readers. Wrench lights are specific to each manufacturer so generic readers won't decode them. When a check engine/service engine soon light/malfunction indicator light turns on, one or more error codes are stored for immediate retrieval from a reader. You can try calling around and ask if their reader will decode wrench light codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #17
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you have the wrench light coming on and off plus you have erratic operation of the transmission, it's probable that the wrench light is about the transmission issue.

In that case I would head to a trusted auto trans shop as they would be most likely to have the Tech II diagnostics. That's what we did on my son's L300 which did the same.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-22-2017, 10:20 PM   #18
SweetT

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasl22002 View Post
If you have the wrench light coming on and off plus you have erratic operation of the transmission, it's probable that the wrench light is about the transmission issue.

In that case I would head to a trusted auto trans shop as they would be most likely to have the Tech II diagnostics. That's what we did on my son's L300 which did the same.
So did it end up being the transmission?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-23-2017, 11:06 AM   #19
floridasl22002

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetT View Post
So did it end up being the transmission?
All I can tell you at this stage was that we took it to the Tranny shop who hooked it up to their Tech 11. The guy had said previously it could be as little as a solenoid or as big as a rebuild. After hooking up the laptop he said that it was a rebuild (the car has 135K on the clock and we don't know its history prior to our purchase but we don't think it got a lot of love). He told me that the tranny was compensating for the wear by keeping the pressure high and as a consequence ti would hard shift.

The car will not always hard shift and tend to do its party piece when fully warmed up. My son has it for school primarily which is 30 miles each way. Sometimes it will hard shift, other times it will not.

The tranny tech said that if the car was used for local journeys we could drive it like that for a long time, but if we were using it for longer journeys, it might simply go into limp mode and that would be its way to say rebuild me. He gave me a verbal quote of $1900.00 for a rebuild. I paid $2100.00 for the whole car, so it's questionable if I want to invest that much.

Like you, I'd researched here and elsewhere and felt it might be the pressure solenoid. If it were a simple job to do I might be tempted to have a go myself (my own truck is a suburban and you drop the tranny pan and the solenoids are staring at you). However, with this Saturn to get to these solenoids, you have to remove the front drivers side suspension strut and drop the tranny a way in order to allow access to the side panel where the solenoids are located. By all accounts it is not the simplest or quickest of jobs. So the jury is out on that. I have a Haynes Manual, but they skirt over the auto tranny apart from routine maintenance. Because of that you are reliant on Forums like and someone who has done the job and perhaps posted either pics or good follow notes.

Hope this makes it clearer. Oh and by the way.. I researched the Lucas oil treatment to lessen hard shifting as well. I thought $10.00 against $1900.00 it was worth a shot. We added it and it worked for about a month.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-23-2017, 05:54 PM   #20
floridasl22002

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

What is so galling about the hard shifting is that I can find NO video online of anyone who has done this job. There is one video that portends to be the Saturn, but I don't know what the guy was on, but it is just a blurry few minutes with muffled commentary.

What I did determine though is that the L series Strun has the GM 4T-40-E and 4T-45-E boxes installed. From what I can deduce the 45 version is the beefier unit and meant for the V6, so I am guessing the 40 is fitted to the 4 banger engine version.

Knowing that I googled to see if anyone had done this job using the GM tranny box reference and there was a good video from a guy who was doing this job on a Pontiac G6 which has that box. Unfortunately he was doing the solenoids on a unit he had already removed from the vehicle.

The combined total of solenoid parts comes to about $100.00 to $150.00 tops, so if the solenoids ARE the issue and you can swap them yourself then you save money big time compared to going to a tranny shop. The downside is that you would need to know 100% that the solenoids were the culprit(s), otherwise you have spent probably a weekend or so doing the job and not solved the problem - but you would have new solenoids in!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!