SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2019, 07:40 PM   #1
davew1
davew1 is on a distinguished road

Default 2007 Vue--ignition, new housing and keys

Daughter has a 2007 Saturn Vue. 6 cylinder, automatic. Gas only, not electric.

Ignition key over time started to get fidgety and testy. Eventually became very difficult to turn and then stopped turning altogether. Could not start car. Not an issue with rotating steering wheel at all. It is the key cylinder, not the position of the steering wheel. Tried that, doesn't work. Moved on.

Then attempted to get just the cylinder out while the housing was still attached to the steering column but no luck. Tight area and the tab or flange holding the cylinder would not "push in" to allow the cylinder to exit the housing.

So I removed the entire ignition lock housing from the steering column.
Removed the wiring harnesses (2) so the part is completely free of the car. Ignition cylinder is still inside the housing.

Tried to get the cylinder out again with more room to work. But still the cylinder will not come out. The key has to be turned to a certain spot and key now will not move at all.

Tried cleaning inside of cylinder and around it with some contact cleaner to loosen things up. Nothing. Key will not turn at all. Again, moved on.

I can not get the cylinder out. That ship has sailed. So buying the cylinder only is not an option. Moved on from that.

On the internet, I can buy the entire 02-07 SATURN VUE IGNITION SWITCH LOCK CYLINDER HOUSING WITH KEYS.

My question is if the new housing and cylinder is installed into my Vue, will the car start? Or will an anti-theft device be triggered. The keys that come with the new housing will certainly turn the new cylinder.

But is there something in my Vue that will not recognize the new housing or key as "coded" to my Vue and thus not allow it to start. And will I have to take the car to a dealer to get it coded (thus defeating the purpose of DIY).

Or is the new housing coded to the new key so it will let the car start but I will have a different key for the door.

Essentially the question is: Is the new key's ability to physically unlock the new cylinder separate from the car's "device" that looks at the key to determine if the car should start? Obviously, one is a physical issue-- the tumblers and key must work together to let the key turn. But once the key turns, is there something in the car separate from the new lock housing/cylinder that would sense that the key is new and not coded to my car.

Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated.
Regards

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davew1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davew1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2019, 12:20 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2007 Vue--ignition, new housing and keys

According to '07 Vue owner's manual info, your Vue uses Passlock, not Passkey. Passlock doesn't use rfid/chipped keys. The Passlock sensor detects lock cylinder rotation along with a discrete resistor/voltage value sent from the ignition switch to the bcm to determine a go/no go signal - allow or disable injector operation. You should be able to replace the lock cylinder without issues. Lock cylinder replacement is basically a mechanical repair. The ignition switch has an imbedded resistor that's part of Passlock security and learned when Passlock is setup at factory or relearned if the ign switch is replaced. Since you're not replacing the ignition switch, you're not changing or affecting Passlock security.

In the event Passlock triggers and indicates security locks out the engine from running (injectors disabled), the security indicator will flash quickly, requiring either a 10 minute wait leaving ignition ON until the security light stops flashing then cycling ignition off before retrying a start where security is reset or a 30 minute relearn is performed at home. The relearn procedure is posted many times within these forums and does not require a visit to GM. Normal Passlock security; blinking once every few seconds.

Passkey uses rfid/chipped keys that are excited into xmitting a discrete code when nearby GM steering columns as in starting up. Ignition keys will be stamped 'PKIII'.

Last edited by fdryer; 10-01-2019 at 12:26 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:47 AM   #3
davew1
davew1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. Just want to make sure I am understanding this and forgive me for my possible use of incorrect terms. I have attached a link of the item that I am considering purchasing for the vehicle. It is the entire lock housing, cylinder, and it comes with keys. I assume when the new key is turned in the new cylinder/housing, it will rotate the cylinder. I have attached a picture as well to show the new part. Really it is partS because it is the entire housing.

I am basically throwing away the entire old housing, and cylinder. And putting in the one like the picture. And using the new keys to start the car. (I'll keep the old keys to unlock the doors if not using a fob).

You wrote I am not replacing the "IGNITION SWITCH". Is the ignition switch not in the attached parts? See picture (I hope it uploaded)

And if it is a new ignition switch, what would I need to do (myself as opposed to a dealer) to get this part to start the car?

What is the purpose or difference of "Passlock" compared to "Passkey".

Again, thanks for the reply.

Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ignition housing with key.jpg (55.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by davew1; 10-01-2019 at 04:56 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davew1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davew1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:05 PM   #4
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura about

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

or you can go to a gm dealer and have the exact key cut. (not a copy of yours)
you need title and ID.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2 Ride's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2 Ride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:30 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

davew1, see images below, including your new ignition assembly. The replaceable ignition switch is mounted with two screws. You can reuse the original one to eliminate the 30 minute Passlock security relearn procedure or use the new ign switch and perform the relearn procedure. No GM visit needed.

Passlock and Passkey are similar in function; disabling the EFI system in one or two ways to prevent theft (driving the car away). The main difference between Passlock and Passkey III; Passlock has a resistor imbedded in the ign switch as part of Passlock circuitry. Passkey III uses an rfid chip embedded in the ign key plastic.

Passlock simply needs a plain ign key to turn the mechanical lock cylinder and ign switch for security processing. Ignition lock cylinder rotation is detected by Passlock sensors while the ign switch sends a discrete signal to the bcm. The two signals are part of Passlock security.

Passkey III uses an rfid chip, the same chip inserted into pets for identifying them with a small xmitter/receiver to excite the rfid chip into xmitting a discrete bar code signal. Vehicles with PK III do the same; xmitting a signal near the ign switch to excite the rfid chip in the key. The chip turns on and xmits its discrete bar code signal to the rfid xmitter/receiver. When received, the signal is sent to the bcm for identification. If the signal is valid, the bcm sends a signal to the ecm to allow the EFI system to operate.

Saturn 'S', 'L', Ions and Vues use Passlock security. I think Auras and Outlooks use Passkey III. Other GM models have either Passlock or Passkey III. Cadillacs and Corvettes, both high end vehicles for GM, uses Passkey III. Other manufacturers have similar anti theft systems to disable part of the EFI system when someone attempts to steal the vehicle. Think of it as smart security. Disable injectors, spark or fuel pump and no one can drive a stolen vehicle. European vehicles use the same technology. Even Tesla uses rfid security except smart thieves defeated it. Tesla added another security step using PIN access so only the owner and designated drivers can use pin access to allow driving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IS-1.jpg (48.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IS-2.jpg (56.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IS-3.jpg (44.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IS-4.jpg (101.9 KB, 2 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote