SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2019, 02:14 PM   #1
Tyson
Tyson is a jewel in the roughTyson is a jewel in the roughTyson is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Sealant

Anyone know of a good metal to metal sealant? Not gasket maker. Sealant?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tyson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2019, 04:34 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Sealant

What are you sealing? There's RTV for making instant gasket as machining allowed better finishes to use RTV as a sealant. Thread locker to prevent nuts and bolts from vibrating loose. Weatherproof sealant used to bridge gaps between metals to prevent water intrusion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:19 PM   #3
Tyson
Tyson is a jewel in the roughTyson is a jewel in the roughTyson is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

METAL to metal

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-31-2019, 10:22 PM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Depending just where and what you are sealing, you could easily and cheaply use silicone in a caulk tube. Inexpensive, easy to apply (wait 24 hours to cure before water exposure). Found at any big box store like Capps, Homedepot, Lowes, Mennards....etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:43 PM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
Anyone know of a good metal to metal sealant? Not gasket maker. Sealant?
The suggestion by toggenburg makes sense to me. It would be helpful to know where on the car this will be applied and what you're wishing to keep sealed out; e.g., air, water, oil, hydraulic fluid, etc...

329,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:42 AM   #6
Tyson

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Itís on the water inlet unit. Not thermostat housing or water pump. Itís on opposite side of block. I replaced this thing put correct torque on it and itís just seaping at the top. I tried gasket makers and sealant but Iím worried that if it gets on o ring itíll not allow o ring to work properly. The part is in such a tight spot that itís impossible to line it up without smearing that gasket maker all over. Do you have any advice?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-01-2019, 10:40 AM   #7
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I wet the o-ring with a good quality silicone sealant when installing parts like this. It helps seal small imperfections in the steel parts and helps prevent shearing a small piece of the o-ring.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:42 PM   #8
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

As fdryer said in one of your other multiple posts you should stick with one post for the same problem. Makes things so much easier for anyone trying to help you out.
Also as he said PICTURES.
You don't think that you can get a good close in picture then get what you can. At the very least a picture of the area so that we can guess more precisely of the "water inlet" that you are talking about.

As for today's post --- a metal to metal sealant. The type of sealant will depend on what you are sealing against because some sealants don't like certain materials/liquids. Where it is you are trying to seal. The amount of space between the two surfaces. Movement/flex.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:48 AM   #9
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Sealant: the old what one to use trick

hi sages- have used many different sealants in varied applications on cars, many successfully and others going stinko fast. to name a few good ones: seal all, gasket cement, jb weld epoxy, 3M black cement, gorilla glue. curious as hell about your opinions on applicability and effectiveness of one heavily advertised product which I have not used yet- flex seal in tubes,cans,sprays and tapes. any users here? thanks tons bob f

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfisher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #10
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really nice

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Sealant: the old what one to use trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
hi sages- have used many different sealants in varied applications on cars, many successfully and others going stinko fast. to name a few good ones: seal all, gasket cement, jb weld epoxy, 3M black cement, gorilla glue. curious as hell about your opinions on applicability and effectiveness of one heavily advertised product which I have not used yet- flex seal in tubes,cans,sprays and tapes. any users here? thanks tons bob f
I have used the Flex tape with great results. It also makes a great temp patch on my jeep to cover rust for State inspection. I also used it on a plastic 400 gallon water tank that got a crack in it. Where the crack is there is 200 gallons of water sitting on it. Not even a seep from the crack.

https://www.infowars.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:12 AM   #11
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

hi dsat- that's a good story with the tape. will get a small quantity to try and also get the flex paste sealant in the tube. nj has always had annual car inspections. seemed everybody automatically failed for emissions. they would fail you for any holes on the body from rustout. typical body shop wanted at least $500 to repair(fill hole with bondo), but if you put duct tape over the hole you passed. last time I checked duct tape was 3.00 for a small roll. what would you do with your 497.00 savings. btw duct tape repairs and rust holes in your Packard will you out of the yacht and country club. sorry. bob f

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfisher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:32 PM   #12
Tyson

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I just wanted to share my experience of changing the water inlet unit. It's not difficult changing the part out. it was difficult finding it. If anyone needs help with it you'll have to google part number 55351896. just enter that number in google but make sure you order o ring also and that part number is 13131733. a couple helpful ideas is to use a turkey baster to suck all coolant out of surge tank. then when you disconnect radiator hose hold it up and try to turkey baste as much out as you can. unless you don't mind a lot of coolant all over. then disconnect the other two hoses. tou'll need an 8mm socket unless you have star sockets. use those for sure.The reason I needed sealant is because that darn thing would not seal properly against engine block. there was one point at top middle that coolant was seeping out. Not alot but it would only get worse in my mind. And there's not enough room to apply gasket maker without it smearing onto the o ring. So I bought jb weld epoxy. The black and yelloe tube. So far so good. I seen the thread of Dsaturn about flex seal tape. That might work as well. Less mess. Anyways, I know I ask a lot of questions in these forums but i love working on this darn car. But I like getting it right! So thank you to all those that help and please stay patient with me. I don't know how to post things all the time. Especially pics

REWARD EXCELLENCE!