SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2019, 02:46 PM   #1
Tinyfat
Tinyfat is a jewel in the roughTinyfat is a jewel in the roughTinyfat is a jewel in the rough

Default SOHC cam removal

Iím new to these saturns. I was given a 99 sl SOHC 5 speed because the clutch was out. Iíve replaced the clutch and fixed a few other issues and still working on a couple. Iíve gotten a ton of info from searching this forum and was able to fix most things from that info. So this car is going to need a cam pretty soon. Iíve found plenty of info on how to pull the head and remove the cam. Someone mentioned pulling the cam with the head still on the car but a pita to do. Is this possible? If I could pull it without pulling the head it would save me some time and money. I searched but couldnít find a write up on it. If youíve done it or know of a write up on it point me in the write direction.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tinyfat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tinyfat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tinyfat is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2019, 04:48 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: SOHC cam removal

You have to liftup the right end of the engine so the cam clears the fender.

Why do you want to replace the cam?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:42 PM   #3
Tinyfat
Tinyfat is a jewel in the roughTinyfat is a jewel in the roughTinyfat is a jewel in the rough

It has a little upper end noise a lot like the tensioner noise. I popped the valve cover off and the cam has some grooving and scaring to a couple of the lobes. One of the lobes is starting to flatten. It almost looks like the rollers on the lifters were stuck at some point.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tinyfat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-30-2019, 05:51 PM   #4
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

You could pop the end plug out on the driver side of the head, might have to remove the battery too to gain clearance, maybe not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:21 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinyfat View Post
It has a little upper end noise a lot like the tensioner noise. I popped the valve cover off and the cam has some grooving and scaring to a couple of the lobes. One of the lobes is starting to flatten. It almost looks like the rollers on the lifters were stuck at some point.
If they have never been replaced then they are still stuck or out of line.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-31-2019, 04:34 PM   #6
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

Cam is tricky to slide out- all journals are same size.

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:35 PM   #7
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

Crap. Just realized I installed cyl. head without cam. Sure hoping for the best here I would even take out the engine before removing the cyl head again!

08 Burgman 400

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-31-2019, 06:15 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

This is why I put all nuts, bolts, and parts into labeled plastic bags all in either tubs or boxes. Timing cover has to come off and probably still is as the chain must come off to extract cam. Be real careful and don't bend any valves.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-02-2019, 04:43 PM   #9
MikeNW
Master Member

1997 SL

Yessir, learned the baggie and tag method from Poor Richard's Rabbit Book about 40 years ago.

I didn't have the front cover on yet, just the bare head installed. I popped out the rear plug and slid the cam in. Cleaned the plug and put some loctite on it- tapped it back home.

I was so excited to get the head back on that mistakes were made....

08 Burgman 400

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #10
Tinyfat

Figured Iíd do a update to this thread. I forgot all about this post. I hate doing a search and finding a post on what Iím looking for and it never says the outcome lol. So after watching richpinís video I tackled this job. Iím new to saturns but not new to turning wrenches. I was able to knock the cam plug out and pull the cam out the drivers side. I got a new cam plug at Oreillyís for $1 and some change. All in all I have about 6 hours into it but I also cleaned the egr valve, changed the icm and added power steering. Pick n pull had a 50% of sale so I grabbed a new rack, pump and lines total cost was $55 for everything to add power steering. I was having some misfire and hesitation under load and lack of power after driving the car for about 20 min. It also sounded like a popcorn popper under the valve cover. 3 of the cam lobes were starting to flatten most of the rest had bad pitting and a few lifters had bad scaring and pits. The car was bought at a auction and Iím guessing sat for a while and was just started dry causing the damage. The car now runs perfect with no issues and is super quiet. I have about 4000 miles on it since the swap and Iím getting reliably 37-39mpg mixed hwy and city driving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-12-2019, 12:01 AM   #11
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Good news. Nice that you now have power steering as an added bonus.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote