SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2019, 08:16 PM   #1
Jbear
Jbear has a spectacular aura aboutJbear has a spectacular aura aboutJbear has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL1
Default Length of brake line

Can any of you tell me the overall length of the metal brake line from the proportioning valve to the right front (passenger side) caliper?

I need to replace the line. I'm using Nicopp, I have all the tools for flaring and so on.
It looks like I'll have to get under the car to get the various clips loose to pull this out.

My idea (because of some physical issues, getting up and down from the ground is pretty difficult for me.) I'm thinking I might be able to pull the old line and put in the new one at the same time (bending as I go) if I know how long a piece to cut. I can put on the fittings and flare the ends beforehand.

Not sure this will work, but thought it might be worth a try. The first obstacle is the plastic holder that all the lines run through, just below the proportioning valve. I'm still looking for how to take that off to get the old line out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jbear's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jbear reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jbear is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2019, 08:32 PM   #2
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: Length of brake line

Here you go:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=236929

I pulled these lines in and as I went I bent in place. I like the bend the new line to match the old line technique better.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...&postcount=135

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:53 PM   #3
Jbear
Jbear has a spectacular aura aboutJbear has a spectacular aura aboutJbear has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL1

Thanks, Brian, I appreciate it, but, um... I needed the length of the line to the front passenger side.

I'll keep the info for the 2 rear lines in case I need it later.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jbear reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2019, 09:31 PM   #4
Jbear

1999 SL1

I kept the old line after I removed it so I could measure it. Just got around to it. The length of the line to the front passenger side is 72" (6 ft.). I allowed an extra couple of inches from the actual measurement for the ends I cut off to get the fittings.

I'll be changing the other front line in a few days, I'll post that measurement as well. Maybe that will be helpful for someone else.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-27-2019, 09:37 PM   #5
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbear View Post
I kept the old line after I removed it so I could measure it. Just got around to it. The length of the line to the front passenger side is 72" (6 ft.)
Wow, I never would have guessed it was that long. I don't know how it's routed though. Mine looks pretty crusty, and I'm a bit nervous about it.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:52 PM   #6
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Proportioning valve?

I just did the brakes on the 92 SC - and I didnt see one....

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:23 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

It is part of the master cylinder, there are 2 of them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:45 PM   #8
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Ok..thanks.

Didn't know they had one. So is it adjustable, or do they have two MCs for drum vs disc rear?

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2019, 06:29 AM   #9
Goggles Pisano
Goggles Pisano is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Stupid question time: what if the two rear lines were switched at the master cylinder, how catastrophic would that be?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Goggles Pisano's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Goggles Pisano reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Goggles Pisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:00 AM   #10
Goggles Pisano

1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggles Pisano View Post
Stupid question time: what if the two rear lines were switched at the master cylinder, how catastrophic would that be?
Once again, thanks fdryer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer
the brakes are physically split into two separate diagonal brake systems from the master cylinder making the right rear/left front one side and the left rear/right front the other side. Not the fronts as one half and the rears the other half. Having split the brake system into two diagonals has always been this way.
The search box is your friend.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Goggles Pisano reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2019, 10:35 AM   #11
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

If you had ABS, swapping the lines would be bad as the system would let up on the wheel with the most traction.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:17 PM   #12
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The ABS is cheap tri-channel, not quad channel. Fronts can be turned off individually but the rear is turned off as a pair so swapping the lines has no impact.

I understand the concept of the diagonal hydraulic brake setup but all it does is make bleeding harder than it should be...once there's a hole in any line you have no brake pressure without the parking brake. If it were a proper front/rear setup you'd only have to jack up the car once to bleed, not 2+ times.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:20 PM   #13
Jbear

1999 SL1

Quote:
Once again, thanks fdryer:

The search box is your friend.
I've seen the diagrams of the brake lines in a diagonal configuration, and another diagram where they are not. Mine are not. But I don't know if they're still set up RF/LR, LF/RR, or not.

The one I just replaced runs from the driver's side left of the MC/PV down under the dash/firewall, across to the front right (passenger side) wheel. It's a little hard to trace, most of the line isn't visible, it's tucked up above and behind things. The rear passenger side runs down the driver's side alongside the driver's side rear line, then near the rear wheel it bends and runs across to the passenger side. I replaced the part that runs across not long ago. I'm replacing both driver's side lines in a couple of days, and probably the remaining steel portion of the RR line.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-28-2019, 12:25 PM   #14
Goggles Pisano

1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
If you had ABS, swapping the lines would be bad as the system would let up on the wheel with the most traction.
Having a discussion with the father-in-law as we install these brake lines. It's an SL1 with no ABS, but he wants to not have them diagonal, with his thinking that if brakes go out the car would want to snap into a spin. I'd rather keep it the way it is, thinking the car would pull violently to one side or the other doing it that way.

I don't anticipate having brakes going out like that in my future which is why we're doing this work, but still. Also, wouldn't it throw off the order of brake bleeding?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-28-2019, 12:49 PM   #15
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Having a discussion with the father-in-law as we install these brake lines. It's an SL1 with no ABS, but he wants to not have them diagonal, with his thinking that if brakes go out the car would want to snap into a spin. I'd rather keep it the way it is, thinking the car would pull violently to one side or the other doing it that way.

I don't anticipate having brakes going out like that in my future which is why we're doing this work, but still. Also, wouldn't it throw off the order of brake bleeding?
Your father in law needs to rethink things. Dual diagonal system.

One front and one rear on the opposite side are on a circuit and the other circuit is the other front and and other rear.
This means that if one circuit goes you will get, in theory, even braking on each side rather than all of the braking on one side of the car.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:01 PM   #16
onlinebiker
Advanced Member

The diagonal braking - as I had it explained.

If the front brakes were on one side of the MC and the rear were on the other - if your brake differential light went out - if you lost the rear brakes first ( more likely too as the rear lines rust out first) you would still have 90 percent braking - and you wouldn't be aware of it. Or if the front went first - you would only have 10 percent braking. If you then lost front you have zero braking.

However- with diagonal -- you will always have 50 percent braking should one side fails - and you WILL be aware there is a problem.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-28-2019, 02:50 PM   #17
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
Ok..thanks.

Didn't know they had one. So is it adjustable, or do they have two MCs for drum vs disc rear?
Same MC for both disk or drum rear.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:35 PM   #18
Goggles Pisano

1999 SL1

It was a moot point anyhow, because if he was going to accomplish that, he would've remembered to switch the fittings to the master cylinder!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!