SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2017, 10:18 PM   #1
Dman12ny
Dman12ny is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
Default 95 head onto a 02 block

I have an engine in the machine shop right now getting built, my guys tells me he needs all new timing componets from the older style heads to make
It work. Does this make sense to anyone? From the swap guide it said nothing about the timing stuff not being compatible just some electronics and the egr. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dman12ny's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dman12ny reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dman12ny is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2017, 12:09 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: 95 head onto a 02 block

Timing cover and 91-98 complete timing set. This is what you need.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:59 AM   #3
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

The 1995 Cylinder head will bolt to the 2002 cylinder block without issue. GM used the same block for all years. Differences are pistons and internal balancing.

The timing cover and timing chain set, as Nuc stated, are different from 1999-2002, as GM changed the cylinder head casting designs.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:02 AM   #4
Dman12ny

1994 SC2

Ahh awesome. Glad I have a 91 DOHC with 17 miles, yes 17 miles (it was in a museum for the last 26 years) I can use the parts out of! Now when putting it into a 97 what issues am I likely to face?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Dman12ny reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-11-2017, 08:44 AM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Shoulda left the '91 in the Museum where it belongs
The valve cover bolt pattern is all fubar up compared to '93+
The engine mounting is all fubar compared to '92+ (don't think it even has the top engine mount on the timing cover like '92+)
Can't use the block and ICM without swapping the crank, the timing is fubar compared to '93+
Need an EGR adapter or custom EGR valve (easy to customize it with a drill).
Rest of the car should be fine in a '91-'95.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:38 PM   #6
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman12ny View Post
Ahh awesome. Glad I have a 91 DOHC with 17 miles, yes 17 miles (it was in a museum for the last 26 years) I can use the parts out of! Now when putting it into a 97 what issues am I likely to face?
Leave that 1991 S-Series in the museum, where it belongs. Hemming's just did an article, last year, and 1991-1992 Saturn S-Series are now considered "antique" status, which means their value is increasing much faster than the value of newer year/models of the S-Series

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #7
Dman12ny

1994 SC2

Any timing cover will fit over all the new timing stuff correct?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #8
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

What? No, it has to be from the correct range of years. And for the engine and head combo you are installing, of course. That was all covered above, so maybe I'm not understanding your question correctly?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:22 PM   #9
Dman12ny

1994 SC2

I put the 91 timing cover on and realized no place for the top mount, so my question is would a 92-98 timing cover work? Sorry I should have been more specific.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-17-2017, 06:06 PM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Yes, and a 97-98 would be the best bet as the oil pump cover has a modified oil hole for the chain. When shopping for a timing cover before installing it replace the oil pump gears and verify the timing cover recess is not all gouged up, must be perfectly smooth if possible. You can use the updated oil pump cover on the earlier timing cover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:11 AM   #11
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

You destroyed a classic, that had only 17 ORIGINAL MILES on it, to rebuild a car that is worth less than the car that was destroyed?

I can't even begin to wrap my head around the logic of this thread, anymore......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-18-2017, 09:41 AM   #12
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
You destroyed a classic, that had only 17 ORIGINAL MILES on it, to rebuild a car that is worth less than the car that was destroyed?

I can't even begin to wrap my head around the logic of this thread, anymore......
I call troll at this point. You can't take even a quick look at a '91 without realizing the mounting is way different let alone pull the strut-mount (not the suspension strut mount...the engine strut-mount, '91's are THAT "wack" lol) off to get the timing cover off.
Lane has the only pictures I can find at the moment of '91 mounts, and they don't even show how they go on the car http://www.evilplastic.com/mounts-a.htm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #13
Dman12ny

1994 SC2

I would never have pulled apart a 91 like that.
It was already done, I saw an ad on craigslist drove 600 miles round trip to pickup the engine, automatic tranny, 4 struts and steering rack that the guy pulled from it for $200! Guy was a moron he popped the valve cover off and cut the timing chain getting metal shavings down into the motor in an effort to pull the head for scrap before I came along. I was going to rebuild this motor and throw it in my Saturn circle track car but after doing my research I learned to stay away from the 91 so instead I used parts off of it. I would have bought the entire car from the guy but he had already cut it into pieces to get it out of the museum and scrapped it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!