SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2017, 09:38 PM   #1
sc2 saturn
sc2 saturn will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2
Default service&sercuriy light issue

i have a 2001 saturn sc2

sometimes when i drive my car the service n security light comes on and stays on until i turn off my car and start it again is this caused by a ground issue on bcm? cause isn't that what the sercuirty hooked up too?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2 saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2 saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sc2 saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: service&sercuriy light issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc2 saturn View Post
i have a 2001 saturn sc2

sometimes when i drive my car the service n security light comes on and stays on until i turn off my car and start it again
Is the light "service engine soon"? If so, get the code read and post back the number.

Are you saying that after you turn the car off, it does not come back on the next time you start the car?

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:37 PM   #3
sc2 saturn

2001 SC2

wrench light then >.>

if i turn off car and start the car again its stays off its weird cause it can stay off for month or months and then all a sudden when im driving it comes on

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sc2 saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2017, 10:29 AM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
wrench light then >.>
It actually makes a difference The service engine soon codes can be read by auto parts stores or cheap OBDII readers. The service (wrench) requires more sophisticated tools. If you are going to have it read, should be done while the light is on, though a good tool can look at the history

It might indicate something major, or might be something minor like a fuse or bulb. Here's an example of a fuse causing it.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=145858

Here's a couple examples of a bulb causing it:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115852

So, I would start with checking bulbs and fuses - odd that yours is intermittent but sometimes, you have intermittent bulbs (bad contact, corrosion) or something.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-16-2017, 08:32 PM   #5
sc2 saturn

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
It actually makes a difference The service engine soon codes can be read by auto parts stores or cheap OBDII readers. The service (wrench) requires more sophisticated tools. If you are going to have it read, should be done while the light is on, though a good tool can look at the history

It might indicate something major, or might be something minor like a fuse or bulb. Here's an example of a fuse causing it.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=145858

Here's a couple examples of a bulb causing it:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115852

So, I would start with checking bulbs and fuses - odd that yours is intermittent but sometimes, you have intermittent bulbs (bad contact, corrosion) or something.
my security light and wrench light comes on both at same time it has nothing to do with bulbs cause if it was a bulb my wrench light would of came on right away when i turn car off and start it back up its fine im thinking it could be a ground issue maybe?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-19-2017, 03:25 PM   #6
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
my security light and wrench light comes on both at same time it has nothing to do with bulbs cause if it was a bulb my wrench light would of came on right away when i turn car off and start it back up its fine im thinking it could be a ground issue maybe?
Sorry, I keep getting confused by "security light" - do you have an aftermarket alarm or remote starter? Or is the Service Engine Soon light flashing?

I'm not trying to be fussy about the terms, but not understanding exactly what you are seeing or is happening, which means I am shotgunning guesses

Could be a bad ground/ connection

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175733

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2017, 02:38 AM   #7
sc2 saturn

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Sorry, I keep getting confused by "security light" - do you have an aftermarket alarm or remote starter? Or is the Service Engine Soon light flashing?

I'm not trying to be fussy about the terms, but not understanding exactly what you are seeing or is happening, which means I am shotgunning guesses

Could be a bad ground/ connection

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175733
sometimes when im road tripping like example i was like 45mins away from home looked down to see my speed and notice both service ( wrench light) and security light was on and check engine soon light but i know that code already something to do with evap and but when i turn off car and start it back up only light that comes on is my evap code thats on CEL nothing is flashing i have factory alarm no remove start

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2017, 02:54 AM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ground is not triggering security. The three wire Passlock sensors in the steering column surrounding the lock cylinder/ignition switch may be faulty. There are no parts to align, just replacement of the sensor assembly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:33 PM   #9
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I owe you a big apology. I just noticed for the first time a couple of days ago, it appears third gens do have a "security" light at the bottom of the tachometer. Been driving a 3rd gen for 6 months and never noticed it coming on during bulb check. Just happened to notice it after starting up a few days ago.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-29-2017, 03:17 AM   #10
sc2 saturn

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Ground is not triggering security. The three wire Passlock sensors in the steering column surrounding the lock cylinder/ignition switch may be faulty. There are no parts to align, just replacement of the sensor assembly.
its the whole ignition/lock cylinder and sensor into one piece? or can i get just the sensor ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-29-2017, 05:01 AM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There are individual parts; ignition switch, lock cylinder and Passlock sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote