SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2016, 02:36 AM   #1
Saturn2002SL2
Saturn2002SL2 is on a distinguished road

Default Sky & SL2

GM needs to come out with the following:

GM Sky

GM SL2

They don't even have to have the "Saturn" name and logo. Just have the GM logo and have those 2 models (Sky & SL2) be a continuation of the Saturn Sky & Saturn SL2

1988 RX7 Manual
Bought in 2000 for $1,500 @ 108,200 Miles
Sold in 2001 for $1,700 @ 114,600 Miles

2002 SL2 Manual
Bought in 2002 for $19,895 @ 26 Miles
As of 06/15/16 @ 172,203 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn2002SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn2002SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn2002SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2016, 11:55 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Sky & SL2

GM became bloated from corporate inbreeding until it couldn't support itself from being trapped in corporate greed among its brands so the non profiting brands died. Unlike GM, Volkswagen only made one car at the beginning, the beetle, and sold hundreds of millions of them around the world until emissions controls took its toll and competition relegated the VW bug to history. GM wanted to sell any car to whatever market was there and forgot about long term steady markets to maintain their infrastructure. They decided to keep on opening new brands and lost sight over the years from corporate competition blurring profits from lies generated on promises. VW simply stayed with what sold and kept a few models that met their guidelines for long term manufacturing. Keeping it simple. In the end, GM was forced to down size in the American markets to resemble another car company that already knew not to continually expand with little returns on investments.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:51 PM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn2002SL2 View Post
GM needs to come out with the following:

GM Sky

GM SL2

They don't even have to have the "Saturn" name and logo. Just have the GM logo and have those 2 models (Sky & SL2) be a continuation of the Saturn Sky & Saturn SL2
fdryer couldn't be more corrrect. I'd add another consideration relative to those two cars - marketing. Once GM killed off Saturn it effectively labelled it a failure in the view of much of the auto buying public regardless of what your experience or mine would be with that brand's vehicles. Once something is a "failure" it's almost impossible to bring back a model or model name that at one time might have been respected.

Frankly, I think GM still has a problem with naming its car models. While the Chevrolet brand survived the liquidation process the company still chose to use at least one "less than popular" - IMO - name plate: Impala. Pray tell me who in the 21st century is supposed to find that name appealing, or what it should evoke in the mind of a potential buyer who's never considered a GM vehicle before? (In spite of the fact that they're very good looking and their quality is high in my view, one sees very few of these models on the road in California.)

GM still has a tendency to be stuck in their past (relative to model names) which was one reason, among many, why their products were no longer selling well prior to the company's reorganization. I'm not suggesting that they had no quality issues, they obviously did. However, what a company names something matters. In 1969-1970 Nissan (then called Datsun) was about to introduce a car called the Fairlady into the U.S market, but they chose not to. Their research showed that the name didn't resonate well with U.S. buyers. Datsun then changed the model name to 240Z and the rest, as they say, is history.

329,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:55 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ I bought my 'Fairlady' in 1977 (280Z) and loved it until a front frame crack disabled it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:52 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
While the Chevrolet brand survived the liquidation process the company still chose to use at least one "less than popular" - IMO - name plate:
Ahhhh, yes.

Chevy, the same division that saw fit to sell the Chevy Nova in Spanish-speaking countries without renaming it, or looking up what, "No Va" means in Spanish

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:21 PM   #6
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

^Thank you for reminding me about that Chevy model name in Spanish. My former boss told me about that problem when I was last in the automotive industry during the early 1990's. Of course, to a Spanish speaker it made absolutely no sense to purchase a car with a name meaning that it wouldn't move. Additionally, one would look like a fool in front of their neighbors and fellow countrymen for driving it. People south of our border aren't dumb. The company men marketing that car to them from north of the border, however, certainly were!

329,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:43 PM   #7
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

and when they came out with the first joint venture with toyota in 1985 they used the same nova name again. i dont understand chevy anymore. over the past couple of years they make cars you cant even buy unless you are a fleet...captiva, caprice, impala limited, etc

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote