SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2016, 01:20 AM   #1
1972vsonic
1972vsonic is on a distinguished road

Default Upgrade or sell for new car

Greetings, first visit in a while.
I have an 04 Ion I bought new that has served me well and still looks very nice. It has 201,700 and even the serpentine belt is original. It has had exceptional care and in a strange way I think it is a bit retro-cool. For the past 6-8 months I have found the car low on coolant several times after idling for long periods. At my 201,000 oil change I noticed a bit of condensation in the oil. I had forgotten and left it idling after for about 30 minutes before pulling the plug. Seems it only happens when coolant pressure is high. I haven't determined if it is a head/gasket problem or a water pump yet. I am torn between buying a new/newer car and spending some money bringing mine back to newish mechanical condition. Doing so is substantially less then a new car. It's now an occasional use car must be reliable for road trips. With new bushings, shocks, and struts and and an engine head, water pump, timing and balance chain, you know, the usual 200,000 mile stuff, is there anything I should consider upgrading or any weak links to be aware of at higher mileage? Should I even consider this? I realize the financial issue of exceeding the value with repairs but I'm not taking that into consideration. Any of you with more knowledge than me please share your thoughts. Thanx!

Last edited by 1972vsonic; 02-27-2016 at 01:24 AM.. Reason: Autocorrect

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1972vsonic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1972vsonic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1972vsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2016, 07:07 PM   #2
jacek_p
jacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the rough

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Upgrade or sell for new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972vsonic View Post
car must be reliable for road trips.
looks like you have your answer here.

fixed/replaced so far: side mirror, window trims x4, trunk floor, radiator bushing, alternator, starter, LCA x2, sway bar bushings x2, end links x2, timing chain tensioner, O2 sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jacek_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jacek_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jacek_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:17 PM   #3
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

You idled it for 30 minutes with no oil? Get a new car.

That, plus the mileage is kind of high for significant yet reliable modding, plus the 04 doesn't have a programmable computer.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:35 AM   #4
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

He didn't say he ran it low on oil, but coolant. It has been losing coolant.

My suggestion would be to take it to a mechanic for a thorough going over. Explain you want it to be a reliable road car and ask what it would take to do that. That should clarify a lot of your questions and help your decision. Only then can you tell if it's worth to you or not.

And if you like the car,it will be nice to know you're starting over fresh. A very cost effective way to meet your transportation needs

I like your way of thinking. "Value" is a relative term. How much money would it take to replace your current car ? Can you be assured of not having to put X amount of dollars into it on repairs after laying out money for it?

Taking care of what you have is more beneficial financially than having the something new ?latest and greatest thing and taking on debt.

Seriously, would you be better off with a 12 Focus with the notorious Power Shift automated manual ? An early Cruze or Sonic with their mystery vanishing coolant and anti freeze smells in the cock pit, failing water pumps, sticking on center steering etc. ?

As my Dad always asked me when I wanted to do something imprudent with my money: "How does that help your bottom line ?"

If you want something newer, perhaps for a comprehensive suite of current safety features or a larger car, then that is a different discussion.

If keeping what you have and repairing it is part of your financial philosophy, the you know the answer already.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote