SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2015, 02:30 PM   #1
IT_Architect
IT_Architect will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 3.5L
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Thougts on Timing Belt Replacement 2006 Vue 3.5

I'm getting close to the 105,000 miles. I'm thinking of getting the 105,000 mile inspection. I was a mechanic on cars and airplanes a number of years ago. I have the tools but not the time or facilities anymore. The local Honda dealer will do it for $900. It runs perfectly. There is risk to anything. Is 105,000 still the recommended or do they go a ton more than that? When I see them for sale with a lot of miles, I wonder what percentage of them have had a new timing belt and the odds of having a problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IT_Architect's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IT_Architect reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IT_Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2015, 04:13 PM   #2
Enjoyingthevue
Enjoyingthevue is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Thougts on Timing Belt Replacement 2006 Vue 3.5

Everyone here mentions the 100K mark. Countless people write, "Get your timing belt done and you'll be good for another 100k miles." Hope that helps.

I've got 195k miles and have no clue if it's been done to mine (bought at 192k).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Enjoyingthevue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Enjoyingthevue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Enjoyingthevue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
topcat
topcat will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L

I believe it's 100K or 84 months whichever comes first; so unless I was thinking of getting rid of it soon (say before 120K) I'd get it done. Nine Hundred is not small change, however these days it's maybe 3 months worth of car payments.

Best.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to topcat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help topcat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:38 PM   #4
IT_Architect

2006 VUE 3.5L
2006 VUE 3.5L

I probably will. It's more the risk of getting parts that aren't as good as they put in them at the factory, and them not lasting as long.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help IT_Architect reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-05-2015, 07:43 PM   #5
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT_Architect View Post
It's more the risk of getting parts that aren't as good as they put in them at the factory, and them not lasting as long.
The factory used Aisin parts. This is the number for one kit > Aisin TKH-002

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:51 PM   #6
IT_Architect

2006 VUE 3.5L
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
The factory used Aisin parts. This is the number for one kit > Aisin TKH-002
That's something I can use. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2015, 07:52 PM   #7
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT_Architect View Post
That's something I can use. Thanks!
'How to' here > https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9S...eGc/edit?pli=1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:18 PM   #8
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Honda dealer I used to work at charged 4 hours labour to replace the belt, crank and cam seals plus parts.

Compare the cost of replacing the belt to replacing bent valves.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:23 PM   #9
Mr Toad
Mr Toad has a spectacular aura aboutMr Toad has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 3.5L

It depends. If you like the car and want to keep it, get it done and donít worry about it for another 100,000 miles. If you donít care about the car, drive it until it breaks and walk away.
100,000 it the recommended mileage for the timing belt.

I got mine done for $800 and recently put $1300 into the air conditioner and itís in the shop right now for $3000 worth of transmission work. Obviously I like the car and plan on keeping it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mr Toad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mr Toad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mr Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:06 PM   #10
monte0
monte0 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

Do it at 100k cause on mine at that mileage I had my belt pretty loose. And do the water pump and idlers. And go for the Aisin kit

2005 Vue Redline Black on Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to monte0's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help monte0 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
monte0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:06 PM   #11
flyingj
Advanced Member
flyingj will become famous soon enoughflyingj will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 3.5L

It's time to do it.

For what it's worth, I did it on mine at 110K and the belt had stretched a little. I used the Gates kit with the water pump and all has been well for the last 20K miles.

2001 L-200 2.2l
DOB: 05/08/01 Owned: 07/01/07 to 10/30/18

2006 Vue 3.5L AWD Mileage: 145,000
DOB: 08/24/05 Date Acquired: 12/15/06

2019 GMC Acadia (aka Saturn Outlook)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flyingj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flyingj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
flyingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:22 AM   #12
jco35
jco35 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

I used the AC Delco kit and couldn't be happier. Some say it's a rebagged Aisin kit. Amazon has them for a good price.

ACDelco TCKWP329 Professional Timing Belt and Water Pump Kit with Idler Pulley and 2 Tensioners https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004JB7AWW..._35SqwbVN25J6Y

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jco35's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jco35 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jco35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:09 AM   #13
IT_Architect

2006 VUE 3.5L
2006 VUE 3.5L

The Honda deal will do it for $739 and that includes the belt, tensioner, and water pump, and new anti-freeze or $1045 and do the 105,000 mile inspection, which includes oil change, spark plugs, tire rotation, and analysis.

I bring my own oil, 0W20 Mobile 1, and filter, Purolator PureOne PL14610, and my own antifreeze, Dexcool, so they are going to drop out the cost of the oil and antifreeze. This one has 104,??? and I just brought it in. The Red Line has 99,???. I'll see how this goes before I bring that one in.

I asked them about setting the valves. They said we do only what Honda tells us to do on the 105,000 mile inspection, and the only ones they do valves on at 105,000 miles today are the 4 cylinders. The valve adjustment on a V6 is $600.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-03-2015, 12:41 PM   #14
MY FYN 79
MY FYN 79 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

I actually just delivered an 06 Odyssey that I did the timing belt job on yesterday.

What does Honda recommend for valve adjustments on the V6? I checked the lash on my 06 Vue when I did the timing belt at 106,000. Uncommonly as I'm reading, all my exhausts were in spec but the intakes all needed to be tightened up a bit. A lot of people mention there exhausts being tight around the 100k mark. 600 bucks seems a bit excessive for the job, but I guess you do need to peel apart a bit of stuff on top to get to them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MY FYN 79's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MY FYN 79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MY FYN 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:10 PM   #15
IT_Architect

2006 VUE 3.5L
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY FYN 79 View Post
What does Honda recommend for valve adjustments on the V6?
Good question, but I do know it is not before 210,000.

Quote:
I checked the lash on my 06 Vue when I did the timing belt at 106,000. Uncommonly as I'm reading, all my exhausts were in spec but the intakes all needed to be tightened up a bit. A lot of people mention there exhausts being tight around the 100k mark.
And that's my fear. When you tear an engine apart, it's the exhaust faces that are bowed in and tend to sink, and with OHC, and everything being roller, there aren't many opportunities remaining to supply the wear necessary to compensate.

Quote:
600 bucks seems a bit excessive for the job, but I guess you do need to peel apart a bit of stuff on top to get to them.
If I bothers me too much I'll do it myself. It's time consuming, but not difficult.

I went with the full 105,000 mile inspection for $1045 and my transmission change was due in another few thousand miles, so I had it done at the same time for ~$80. When I picked up my vehicle, they surprised me with a bill for $996. The service manager applied an $85 web coupon. The reason the math doesn't work is I brought my own Dexcool, 0W20 Mobile 1, and Purolator PureOne PL14610 oil filter. I have one more Vue that is due now and another in 6,000 miles. He said call in the VINs and he'll reserve those coupons for them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!