SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2015, 04:06 PM   #1
Glen Williams
Glen Williams is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Severe Loss of Power mode (2003 LW300 3.0L V6)

Car would not start...diagnosed as crankshaft position sensor. The shop wanted $300 to replace it on top of the diagnostic fee...i had the car towed home and popped the hood..they left the sensor unplugged so i plugged it in and just tried starting it for kicks and it started right up...was going to replace it anyway since i had already bought the part but i had a wedding to get to.

4 hours of driving that day and no issues. Started up fine the next morning as well...went to 711 that night and when i got back in the car and tried to start it, back to the same issue with a hard crank but no start.

Unplugged and re plugged and it started up...about half a mile down the road the car went in to Severe power loss mode..pulled over and turned it off and back on and it went away until i got to 4000 rpms. parked the car overnight and would not start in the morning...tried unplugging and re plugging and it still would start so i replaced the sensor and it started right up.

Went for a test drive and car still goes in to power loss mode with the light that looks like a CEL except it has a down arrow in the middle of it...the car idle higher than normal upon start up will not go below 1500 rpms...when i press the pedal above 3000 rpms it takes longer than normal for the rpms to drop. If i go above 4000 rpms it goes into power safe mode. If i am driving and don't go above 4000 rpms i can drive it...until i let my foot off the gas and it goes into power safe mode.

I looked into other things the shop may have left undone since they didn't plug back in the sensor... my airbox was not clamped on and the air hose leading to the throttle body was not tightened at all....it was barely on there. Re did all of that properly but still same issue. Checked for any un plugged wires etc and couldn't find anything. Throttle body looks pretty clean...I checked engine codes and they are as follows

P0727
U2105
P1810
P1887
PO638
P2101
P1551

Any help would be greatly appreciated, my car has been out of commission for over a month now with all these issues back to back to back...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Glen Williams's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Glen Williams reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Glen Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2015, 11:48 PM   #2
Glen Williams
Glen Williams is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: Severe Loss of Power mode (2003 LW300 3.0L V6)

I just tried the throttle body recalibration by turning key to on with the engine off for 1 mintute and it didnt do anything. Butterfly plate didnt move at all

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Glen Williams's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Glen Williams reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Glen Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:53 AM   #3
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Severe Loss of Power mode (2003 LW300 3.0L V6)

Just an aside comment. Check the integrity of the connectors and the wires to the sensor. If you have a loose or broken connection, that may give you these readings...I guess.
My wife's car had no ac for nearly 1 year. We checked everything and were about to replace the compressor. my mechanic found by accident a very tiny break in a wire going into the connector for the AC compressor. Chopped it off, soldered in a replacement from the junkyard. Hey presto, AC never missed a beat after that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote