SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2015, 07:48 PM   #1
Ls1 saturn
Ls1 saturn is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Red Line
Default RL struts/shocks

Searching but no defenate answer. I'm wanting to replace my 100k mile shocks/struts. Does the RL use different struts/shocks than the standard VUE. What is everyone using for replacements .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ls1 saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ls1 saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ls1 saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2015, 09:52 AM   #2
deca5423
deca5423 will become famous soon enoughdeca5423 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: RL struts/shocks

The struts are the same. I replaced mine a couple years ago with Monroes and have no problems. I would definitely replace the strut mounts too. One of my mounts was clunking that's what caused me to replace them at about 120k. I went with Moog here.

This comes up a lot but I wouldn't use an all in one 'quick strut' kits from Monroe or anyone else. The lower height in the RL has to come from the springs and I don't think anyone makes one for the RL.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to deca5423's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help deca5423 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
deca5423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:26 PM   #3
Ls1 saturn
Ls1 saturn is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Red Line

My strut mounts are clunking too so I figure I'd do the struts too wile I'm in there. I won't do the quick struts either. are you happy with the monroe ride quality

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ls1 saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ls1 saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ls1 saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:12 PM   #4
deca5423
deca5423 will become famous soon enoughdeca5423 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I have no complaints. I ride it pretty hard every now and then and it feels great. But any new strut is going to be a huge improvement over the old struts with 100+k miles on them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to deca5423's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help deca5423 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
deca5423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:18 AM   #5
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

The struts and shocks supposedly had different dampening for the RL. However, nobody makes anything that is model specific for the RL, so it's a moot point. KYB and Monroes are likely a little better dampened than the stock non-RL stuff, so it roughly approximates the RL stuff.

I've had KYBs on my RL for a few years, they work fine. Strut mounts are all POS and go bad quickly. You get used to it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:22 PM   #6
05redline
05redline is on a distinguished road

according to a gm parts website i found there are different part numbers from gm.

i do have a concern with the monroe shocks though. it appears that my rear is sitting too high now. im guessing about an inch higher than before i changed them.

can anyone confirm that the monroes make our redline sit higher than stock?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 05redline's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 05redline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
05redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:52 AM   #7
Lovemyredline
Lovemyredline is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Great Forum - first time post

RockAuto Has the quick struts listed from Monroe and Gabriel and the price is only $15 more than the individual components. So is not worth it to purchase the spring compressor.

This is my first attempt on the struts, but have confidence after reading the posts. Anyone had any issues / opinions on the quick struts or suggestion on brand ? Or do I need to purchase the compression tool to keep the spring ?

Part Number 172218 & 172217 Monroe
Part Number G57101 & G57102 Gabriel

Regards

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lovemyredline's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lovemyredline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lovemyredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:54 AM   #8
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by deca5423 View Post
The lower height in the RL has to come from the springs and I don't think anyone makes one for the RL.
Megan Racing Springs (on all 4 corners) dropped my base Vue down -about3/4"- and tightened up the handling from boat mode to slot car.

CHanged them all out when I did my shocks, stuts, SB bushings and links 2 yrs ago..

The Megan's set me back $150ish to my front door.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:55 AM   #9
05redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemyredline View Post
Great Forum - first time post

RockAuto Has the quick struts listed from Monroe and Gabriel and the price is only $15 more than the individual components. So is not worth it to purchase the spring compressor.

This is my first attempt on the struts, but have confidence after reading the posts. Anyone had any issues / opinions on the quick struts or suggestion on brand ? Or do I need to purchase the compression tool to keep the spring ?

Part Number 172218 & 172217 Monroe
Part Number G57101 & G57102 Gabriel

Regards
The problem at least for the rear shocks the Monroe's are just over an inch longer. It lifts the back end up and feels real bouncy like over filled air shocks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 05redline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-02-2015, 09:04 AM   #10
Lovemyredline
Lovemyredline is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05redline View Post
The problem at least for the rear shocks the Monroe's are just over an inch longer. It lifts the back end up and feels real bouncy like over filled air shocks
Thank you for the response. So are we forced to purchase OEM parts ? All the online sites list the same front strut for the Redline and regular Vue. I am not sure what I need to order. If anyone has done the front struts if you could please provide some recommendations on what I need to order

Regards

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lovemyredline's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lovemyredline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lovemyredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:08 AM   #11
05redline

Quote:
Thank you for the response. So are we forced to purchase OEM parts ? All the online sites list the same front strut for the Redline and regular Vue. I am not sure what I need to order. If anyone has done the front struts if you could please provide some recommendations on what I need to order

Regards
Love I sent you a pm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2015, 04:56 PM   #12
topcat
topcat will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by deca5423 View Post
The struts are the same. I replaced mine a couple years ago with Monroes and have no problems. I would definitely replace the strut mounts too. One of my mounts was clunking that's what caused me to replace them at about 120k. I went with Moog here.

This comes up a lot but I wouldn't use an all in one 'quick strut' kits from Monroe or anyone else. The lower height in the RL has to come from the springs and I don't think anyone makes one for the RL.
Are you sure the lowered height isn't from dropped spindles?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to topcat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help topcat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:43 PM   #13
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

... Replaced mine with kyb's , what a difference, also found out my 06 is an early one and takes the early style 04-05 bearing plate for the struts, not the bigger one [ 06-07 ]which it calls for , DC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:18 AM   #14
JosephN79
JosephN79 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

I have a 2004 RL. I'm due also for new struts..I plan on doing mounts all the way down. I heard quick struts can mess with height and alignment. Is there a bolt on mount kit? Then I just need the strut and spring? Does anyone know a part number for these? Do you usually need to adjust alignment after installing everything?

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JosephN79's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JosephN79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JosephN79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:02 AM   #15
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
So is not worth it to purchase the spring compressor.Or do I need to purchase the compression tool to keep the spring ?
I had delivered Megan Racing SPrings~$160, to my doorstep. Howza your springs?

From the local O'REilly FLAPS $0 rental cost for the compressor tool-
whatchanneedd2du dajaba. NO need 2 buy.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:01 PM   #16
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

...joseph, you don't need to align the car after , if you scribe the hub assembly bracket where it bolts to the strut you'll see it stays the same when you put a new strut on , the bolt holes are not elongated, they are round. keep your RL springs , buy new top mount plates ,struts [ KYB ]and buy a spring compresser tool ,or rent one , took me 2 hrs to change my struts taking my time, watch the u tube video to help, just my .02, DC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:17 PM   #17
JosephN79
JosephN79 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

Thank you

Keep my springs and buy all new parts otherwise? THis has been a chore making sure I have the right parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JosephN79's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JosephN79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JosephN79 is offline   Reply With Quote