SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
bachands
Advanced Member
bachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to behold

2002 SL2
Default High Beams will not stay on after clicked

This just happened tonight. AFAIK, to engage the high beams I pull the lever toward me until it clicks, then I release. The high beams should then stay on by themselves. But now they will only stay on if I hold it. I do still hear the click, but the high beams turn off right away when I release the lever.

My assumption is that one of my high beams is out, and that's why this is happening. If not, I do not know what the problem is and I haven't found any info through searching.

Any thoughts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bachands's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bachands reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bachands is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: High Beams will not stay on after clicked

Check the lights, get an observer or flat white wall. If the lights work then suspect the switch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:16 PM   #3
bachands
Advanced Member
bachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to behold

2002 SL2

With the high beams on, I couldn't tell the difference between the headlights. So it appears that both are working just fine.

Regarding the switch, I believe this function is governed by a relay of some kind. Any possibility the relay is in the UHJB? Or is it definitely part of the multifunction switch itself, which requires me to remove the steering wheel?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bachands reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

It is all in the switch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-29-2014, 11:33 PM   #5
KingRex
Advanced Member
KingRex will become famous soon enoughKingRex will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2

New switch time. Happens sometimes when you click it, and it the switch for the high beams won't stay engaged so they just click right back off. Seems to be an issue in 1998 and early 1999's. Only ever seen it break in those two years.

"The Homecoming King"

Saturns Saved: 18

Saturns Owned: 2

1999 SL2 HCE 175K
1994 SL2 HCE 135K
1999 SL2 Silver 125K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KingRex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KingRex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KingRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
bachands
Advanced Member

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRex View Post
New switch time. Happens sometimes when you click it, and it the switch for the high beams won't stay engaged so they just click right back off. Seems to be an issue in 1998 and early 1999's. Only ever seen it break in those two years.
Unfortunately for me and my $$, it appears you are correct. I removed the upper and lower steering column covers to see what was going on.

First off, no frayed wires, no bad contacts, and the connector is in great shape. I followed the wires all the way down to where they connect into something near the brake pedal. Everything looked just fine to me.

While pulling the lever back and forth, I could see behind the switch where the connector was. There is this small "pintle" that moves in and out right next to the connector. But it appears that all the contact actions are occurring inside.....between two plastic halves held together by 3 small screws. Since there's no way I'm getting those screws off without removing the steering wheel, I'll just have to wait until I can afford a new switch.

Oh well......at least my headlamps and turn signals still work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-30-2014, 03:33 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

96-02 fits and they are cheap at the pick and pull. The prepulled JY price is 30-40 so figure the P-N-P will be about 1/2 that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-30-2014, 05:45 PM   #8
bachands
Advanced Member

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
96-02 fits and they are cheap at the pick and pull. The prepulled JY price is 30-40 so figure the P-N-P will be about 1/2 that.
Great plan for saving $$, but I just can't stand going to the salvage yards in this weather....way too cold for me to concentrate on what I'm doing.

You want to go there for me? I'll give you $20.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Should have gone last Friday or Saturday or later this week, it will warm up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-30-2015, 05:29 AM   #10
bachands
Advanced Member

2002 SL2

I came across this old thread of mine and decided to conclude it.

I DID fix the problem on the switch. The fix required no special tools really. However, I had to purchase a used one to learn how it works first, so it still cost me some $$.

Below is the post explaining the fix with some pictures:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...&postcount=150

Shattered windshield glass gets everywhere

REWARD EXCELLENCE!