SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
raffy
raffy is on a distinguished road

2000 SL
Default Occasional Intermittent High Idle When Slowing Down or Coming to a Stop

I couldn't find any info specifically on this when doing a search. Once in a while, the idle on my 2000 Saturn SL will go up to 2000 rpm or so instead of dropping down to about 900-1000 rpm or so when crawling or 750 rpm when at a dead stop. This only happens occasionally; the vast majority of the time the idle will drop to 750 when coming to a stop like it is supposed to. I put in a new ECTS sensor a little over a year ago and the car has had its intake manifold gasket replaced due to the "drunken robot" that crimped it during manufacture. The car also has new spark plugs although it probably is time to replace the wires. There's no Service Engine Soon light on (at least so far), so no DTC codes. If I turn the engine off and then restart it, the problem always goes away (so far) and the engine idles normally at 750 rpm. A rather weird intermittent problem that's been happening once in a while for the last couple of weeks or so.

Otherwise, car runs fine, has plenty of power (for a Saturn S-series) and I'm getting 36 to 40 mpg driving to and from work and a little around town. There's 88,xxx miles on the clock so it's fairly low mileage. It's an SL so it has the SOHC engine.

So what do you think might be causing this intermittent problem? IAC valve? EGR valve? Or something else?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to raffy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help raffy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
raffy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
td1238
Master Member
td1238 will become famous soon enoughtd1238 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
Default Re: Occasional Intermittent High Idle When Slowing Down or Coming to a Stop

TPS make sure that new part number matches old.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to td1238's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help td1238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
td1238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
raffy

2000 SL
Default Re: Occasional Intermittent High Idle When Slowing Down or Coming to a Stop

Thanks, td! Is the throttle position sensor pretty much the only thing that does this or should I also look at the IAC and/or EGR?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help raffy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

The self-correcting on shut off and restart almost always points to the TPS.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
td1238
Master Member

1999 SL2

You can test the TPS with a volt or ohmmeter. Richpin has a youtube video for the voltage method. For resistance, unplug sensor and probe between the center terminal and each of the end terminals. Move control through its range. If resistance or voltage change isn't smooth, replace sensor. Jumping around or moving forward, backward, and forward again, or dead spots indicate wear.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help td1238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

Definitely sounds like the TPS to me. I would suggest cleaning the throttle body/IAC valve (probably overdue anyway) and testing the TPS. If the TPS tests bad, replace it.

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
fm2200
fm2200 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
Happy Re: Occasional Intermittent High Idle When Slowing Down or Coming to a Stop

I had a 1991 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3.1 that did the same thing and it was the TPS, fast forward 7-8 years later the TPS had to be replaced again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fm2200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fm2200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fm2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
raffy

2000 SL

Thanks, guys! I think I'll go ahead and change the TPS since it's only about $30 or so. I did clean the throttle body a little while back using Amsoil Powerfoam while the engine was running. Might also need to look at the IAC valve and clean it as well. Like I said, so far it's a rare intermittent problem so it may take a while to figure out if it's really been solved by changing the TPS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #9
td1238
Master Member

1999 SL2

While I'd bet money on the TPS, you should still test it, and get into the practice of testing parts before you replace them. This prevents unnecessary replacement and gives you a better understanding of things.

Not all tests are definitive, but the TPS test is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #10
Eninety2
Eninety2 is on a distinguished road

TPS more likely.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eninety2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eninety2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Eninety2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:41 PM   #11
strnlvr
strnlvr is just really nicestrnlvr is just really nicestrnlvr is just really nicestrnlvr is just really nice

2000 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by td1238 View Post
You can test the TPS with a volt or ohmmeter. Richpin has a youtube video for the voltage method. For resistance, unplug sensor and probe between the center terminal and each of the end terminals. Move control through its range. If resistance or voltage change isn't smooth, replace sensor. Jumping around or moving forward, backward, and forward again, or dead spots indicate wear.
guys - i have the same problem. lets say when i am driving at normal speeds around 40 miles and about to come to a red light or a stop sign, when i apply the brakes the RPM jumps up and then comes down.

i changed the TPS "ACDelco 21024706 GM Original Equipment Throttle Position Sensor" but that did not help. any suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to strnlvr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help strnlvr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
strnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote