SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
EileenSC2
EileenSC2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
Default 98 sc2 downpipe diameter (flex pipe)?

Hi, n00b to the forums.....long time lurker. This place has helped me out of a few binds and saved me some serious money! Especially when my ects went. Stupid me thought my clutch was going.

Anyway on to my issue at hand. My flex pipe is toast. I'm basically running open header. Dumb I know but I'm broke. My downpipe is salvageable so I don't want to buy the whole dp/flex assembly for 90 bucks. I was planning on getting a ten inch section of flex at advance for 30 bucks and clamping it on for now until I can afford to get it welded.

What diameter universal flex pipe should I get? I've read several different sizes so I'm a bit confused. Is the dp and cat the same diameter? I've tried measuring it with a tape, but I don't trust myself.

My car is a 98 sc2 manual without the precat. Cat is original as far as I know. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EileenSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EileenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EileenSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: 98 sc2 downpipe diameter (flex pipe)?

Pretty sure it's 2.5in, that's the size Walker use's for their parts at least.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by EileenSC2 View Post
Hi, n00b to the forums.....long time lurker. This place has helped me out of a few binds and saved me some serious money! Especially when my ects went. Stupid me thought my clutch was going.

Anyway on to my issue at hand. My flex pipe is toast. I'm basically running open header. Dumb I know but I'm broke. My downpipe is salvageable so I don't want to buy the whole dp/flex assembly for 90 bucks. I was planning on getting a ten inch section of flex at advance for 30 bucks and clamping it on for now until I can afford to get it welded.

What diameter universal flex pipe should I get? I've read several different sizes so I'm a bit confused. Is the dp and cat the same diameter? I've tried measuring it with a tape, but I don't trust myself.

My car is a 98 sc2 manual without the precat. Cat is original as far as I know. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks
I used the ROL 520010 on my '95 DOHC, which is 2" ID.
It looked like this . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...7&d=1285879756

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:38 PM   #4
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Look at Amazon for "Lawson flex"

First part is "FT",
Second part is diameter, 200 is 2 inch, 225 is 2 and 1/4, etc...
Third is length, 6 is six inch, 8 is eight inch...
Fourth is "N" for neck, adds two inches to each end, hence a 6 inch pipe is ten inches long...

Measure your existing flex pipe length, just the flex part, to get the right length.

Needs to be welded, but a high school or community college Vo-Tec shop will usually do it (and other work too!) for free if you buy the parts...

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:49 AM   #5
EileenSC2
EileenSC2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
I used the ROL 520010 on my '95 DOHC, which is 2" ID.
It looked like this . . ]
Thanks, I ended up using the same part. I clamped it on for now and it's much better. I'm going to have a friend weld it in a few weeks. I still have a CEL but it runs way better. Hopefully the weld will take care of that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140424_151244.jpg (157 Bytes, 22 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EileenSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EileenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EileenSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote