SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
Sega|Saturn
Sega|Saturn is on a distinguished road

1997 SL
Default Need a new catalyic converter, downpipe or flex pipe?

Then allow me to make a suggestion. SEGA has had a hole in it's exhaust since I bought it, but I didn't bother to do anything about it for a while. My girlfriend started to complain about an "exhaust smell" in the cabin, no one else noticed it. So thus I decided it's time to fix this problem...didn't want to risk her or anyone getting CO2 poisoning or something.

A few months ago, I changed my (MT) transmission fluid to some Mobile 1, with hopes to help some hard-to-go-into-first shifting problems (didn't really fix it, going to get deeper into it later on, don't have time to tackle this now) and saw exactly where the hole was. It was an inch long and I could stick a pencil in it if I tried to, and it was located in the downpipe right before the flex pipe and there was actually another hole in the flexpipe on the passenger side. That led me to look at this thread.

I went on the ol trusty RockAuto and looked at their cats (I went to several other places but I always get a second opinion at RA). I noticed dp/flex/catalytic converters and asked if anyone had any opinions on certain brands. OldNuc chimed in (thanks man!) and I purchased Eastern Catalytic's combo. I figured i'd knock out three components at one time, the cat and the flex pipe as well as the DP. Also, I had a new downstream o2 sensor so i finally got to use it. Came in pretty quickly (maybe 3 days, standard shipping to NYC). I HAD pictures of it, but lost that memory card (ugh!) so unfortunately I can't post any up. Maybe the next time I have the car on a lift i'll snag some shots.

Now, the quality of this thing is ok. It's not like JIC or HKS quality but it's not that bad either. It's made out of aluminized steel and I think the housing for the CAT is t-409 SS. I'm not 100% on that. Crush bends, decent welding, nothing rattling inside when shaken. It's on a DD, so it's not a big deal. The only trouble I had when installing it is that the existing midpipe on SEGA, the flange didn't line up with the flange on the CAT. So my family mechanic (works on my parent's and uncle's cars, and anything I really can't do, I take it to him) cut, rotated and welded the flange off the midpipe.

All said and done, runs a lot smoother than it did before. No more *pop pop poppop pop* when letting off the gas, high RPM (though I WILL miss that lol) and zomg is it QUIET! So much so, that I had to seriously get used to it. All in all, I would recommend it to anyone needing a cost-friendly replacement for their catalytic converter, downpipe and or flex-pipe.

Cost - $199.79 (plus shipping)
Came with two gaskets, Here it is for those who want to check it out.

♪Nothing can survive the will to stay alive...'Cause if you try, you can do anything!♪

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sega|Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sega|Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sega|Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
CZECHLAGER
CZECHLAGER has a spectacular aura aboutCZECHLAGER has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL2
1995 SW1
Default Re: Need a new catalyic converter, downpipe or flex pipe?

Hi, Just chiming in on another option. Magnaflow has a mandrel bent downpipe,flexpipe, and cat all in stainless steel. Got one for my 01sl2 for $255.84 from autoplicity.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CZECHLAGER's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CZECHLAGER reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CZECHLAGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
Sega|Saturn
Sega|Saturn is on a distinguished road

1997 SL
Default Re: Need a new catalyic converter, downpipe or flex pipe?

Another great option (fully SS + mandrel bends = ). Maybe in the far future (or for the SW1/2 I'm planning to get as a second car) i'll nab the Magnaflow.

♪Nothing can survive the will to stay alive...'Cause if you try, you can do anything!♪

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sega|Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sega|Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sega|Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote