SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
Toastymoose
Toastymoose is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn SL1 2000 issues

Recently I went to get my car repaired, and they came to a conclusion that problem was the starter and the transmission range signal they fixed those problems and as soon as i left the dealership the car wouldnt go above 25 mph, but the rpms would keep going up. The car also slams into reverse ever so often and i though it would be the valve body, but i didnt see anything anywhere about the symptom being not shifting into gears. The reverse slam has been happeing for about 7 months but it happens so rarely that i didnt notice it so much. Im just very curious about what it could be and any help would be appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Toastymoose's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Toastymoose reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Toastymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: Saturn SL1 2000 issues

Good chance they didn't adjust the trans switch properly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
Toastymoose

Could there be another issue other than that?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Toastymoose reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
lamping.ap
lamping.ap will become famous soon enoughlamping.ap will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2

How about the manually shifting? If you put it in '2' does that work for you?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lamping.ap's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lamping.ap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lamping.ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Toastymoose

Do you mean putting it into second gear when the car wont go over 25mph?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-31-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
codyheil1988
codyheil1988 is on a distinguished road

Its an auto shoulda went manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to codyheil1988's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help codyheil1988 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
codyheil1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
el diablo viejo
el diablo viejo will become famous soon enough

1994 SW1
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastymoose View Post
Do you mean putting it into second gear when the car wont go over 25mph?
I think he means from being stopped, put shift lever down to 2 and start accelerating. Then manually move the lever to 3 and then D as you keep accelerating. See if you get all the gears that way.

97 sl2 a/t 104 K
1989 GMC 3500 454 129 K, 1969 442 455 rat rod

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to el diablo viejo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help el diablo viejo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
el diablo viejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
magtec
Advanced Member
magtec will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastymoose View Post
as i left the dealership
take it back and make them fix it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to magtec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help magtec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
magtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
Toastymoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by el diablo viejo View Post
I think he means from being stopped, put shift lever down to 2 and start accelerating. Then manually move the lever to 3 and then D as you keep accelerating. See if you get all the gears that way.
Yeah if I do that I hit all the gears

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
lamping.ap
lamping.ap will become famous soon enoughlamping.ap will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2

If your're going to troubleshoot this yourself, I would verify the range switch has been adjusted properly. Below is the procedure for the adjustment from the FSM. Before loosening the switch-to-case bolts as if you were going to adjust it, just remove the connector and verify continuity with the selector in D. If that's good, disregard the adjustment procedure.

Quote:
Important: While adjusting the transaxle range switch, always rotate the switch towards the engine to achieve continuity. A diagnostic trouble code DTC P0706 could result if this procedure is not followed.

Important: Digital volt/ohm meter (DVOM) with audible continuity test is preferred. Do not stick the probe in the transaxle range switch terminal hole; use male terminals on the transaxle range switch or faulty readings could occur.

•Place the transaxle in Drive (D). Use an ohmmeter or continuity tester to check for continuity across terminals on the selector switch. Rotate the transaxle range switch from the left fender towards the engine until continuity is achieved.

•Tighten the switch-to-case bolts. After switch-to-case bolts have been tightened, check continuity.

Tighten
Tighten the transaxle range switch-to-case bolts to 14 N·m (10 lb ft).

•Connect the transaxle range switch harness connectors.
•Install the air cleaner and duct assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Housing and Duct Assembly Replacement in HVAC.
•Using a scan tool, ensure each gear position reads correctly while manually moving through all gears.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lamping.ap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
Toastymoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamping.ap View Post
If your're going to troubleshoot this yourself, I would verify the range switch has been adjusted properly. Below is the procedure for the adjustment from the FSM. Before loosening the switch-to-case bolts as if you were going to adjust it, just remove the connector and verify continuity with the selector in D. If that's good, disregard the adjustment procedure.
Will try after i get the car back from the transmission shop, can I message you if the problem persists after I try these instructions? Thank you everybody for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #12
lamping.ap

1998 SC2

If the car is at the shop why are you trying to fix it? Why won't they fix it? I feel like you're leaving out some info...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!