SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
mudawg
mudawg is on a distinguished road

Default Need Help Determining if its my fuel pump

Other morning my 2001 2.2 l series 150k wouldnt start. It craked fine but just wouldnt turn over. These are the things ive done and noticed and also it was a cold night around 20 degrees in Chicago.

Made sure security light went off and was ok
Check for spark and was ok
Jumped the car and plenty of starting power
Check the valve for fuel with a screw drive no fuel came out
listened for pump to turn on and didnt hear it which I always do
Checked fuses and relays and both ok
Have over a half tank of gas.

2 days later its 50 degrees and nice out and the car fires right up. I drive it 10 miles with no issues.

Im wondering if I could of bought bad gas or something but the pump wouldnt come on at all so is that possible that the gas freezed? Now the temp is better its thawed? Is it possible that the fuel pump can work intermittent?

Ive searched the forums and would like some help if anyone can.... Im thinking I should replace anyways just dont want it to be something else!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mudawg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mudawg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Need Help Determining if its my fuel pump

Great troubleshooting!? The best effort made by posting fuel and spark results narrows down a problem quickly. With no fuel spray from the fuel test valve and no sounds of the fuel pump heard, the only test not done was spraying starting fluid into the throttle body while starting. Not many will go this far but two out of three (fuel) tests tends to point to a fuel issue.

Fuel filter replaced at 100k miles?

Its unusual and troubling for the fuel pump not to run in freezing weather but suddenly working fine in warmer weather, throwing a wrench in isolating this problem. As it is, the fuel system consists of the fuel pump fuse, pump relay, pump, all associated wiring and pump ground. Substituting a fuse and/or relay is simple to do and helps troubleshooting. A more helpful test would be to borrow or buy a fuel pressure gauge (Autozone?) to monitor pressure immediately whenever the ignition switch is turned to the ON/RUN position; fuel pump comes on for 2-seconds with an immediate pressure indication. Another test would be to carefully familiarize yourself with the pump relay pin outs; jumpering relay socket terminals 30 and 87 will send 12v to power the fuel pump immediately, regardless of ignition switch position. This jumper bypasses most of the wiring to help send power to the pump as this isolates wiring between fused 12v and pump ground. Pump ground is in a splice pack by the rear brake light wiring.

A search should turn up a wiring drawing for the L-series.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
mudawg

thanks for the reply... Im going to drive around next couple of days and if it doesnt start again im going to do the starting fluid trick.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mudawg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
mudawg

it ended up being my fuel pump. It was a time consuming job for sure. About 4 hours in my driveway. I dropped the exhaust and had my car backed up on ramps so that helped. It would of been tough on jack stands etc. thankfully mine still started sometimes

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I have a question for you, mudawg, as I'm curious about something: did you notice a reduction in overall fuel economy-at some point-occurring prior to the starting problems and replacing the fuel pump?

329,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
mudawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
I have a question for you, mudawg, as I'm curious about something: did you notice a reduction in overall fuel economy-at some point-occurring prior to the starting problems and replacing the fuel pump?
Not at all... one morning it wouldnt start when it was cold. When it warmed up it would. Thinking the electronics were going?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!