SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
bbyers
bbyers is on a distinguished road

Default Is this the correct location of my temp guage? please see pic

this is a picture after car is fully warmed up, its always stays at this location, do i have something that i needs fixed or is this location normal.

2002 saturn SC2 5 speed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg temp guage.jpg (49.8 KB, 63 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bbyers's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bbyers reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2
Default Re: Is this the correct location of my temp guage? please see pic

Not quite.

It's usually the Thermostat, but can be the ECTS.

How old is the Thermostat?

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
bbyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcher View Post
Not quite.

It's usually the Thermostat, but can be the ECTS.

How old is the Thermostat?
im not sure how old the thermostat is, i just got the car and noticed the heats not that great and than noticed the temp guage seems alittle low.

Im not sure what the ECTS is...?

Im getting 36mpg, so i thought maybe the motor was heated up enought and guages in these cars ran low.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bbyers reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
bbyers

just called about a new thermostat, but was told by sales person the stant14279 wont fit my car. I thought i read that this is the on to use??? im confussed now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyers View Post
just called about a new thermostat, but was told by sales person the stant14279 wont fit my car. I thought i read that this is the on to use??? im confussed now.
Many people swear by the stant here, for whatever reason, despite many members reporting issues with it. I went with the thermostat the Autozone guy brought out and, in January, it will be in longer (and more miles) than the original that came with the car. Ultimately, you must make your own decisions.

You must remember that almost all opinions have a bias.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
proveniebam
Advanced Member
proveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2

Same location for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to proveniebam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help proveniebam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
proveniebam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
bbyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSaturn02 View Post
Many people swear by the stant here, for whatever reason, despite many members reporting issues with it. I went with the thermostat the Autozone guy brought out and, in January, it will be in longer (and more miles) than the original that came with the car. Ultimately, you must make your own decisions.

autozone in my area only has the 180 degree.....is that the one your using?

2002 SC2 Manual 166,XXX miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
autozone in my area only has the 180 degree.....is that the one your using?
I can't remember the brand. I do remember it was made in Germany and it came with the entire housing (not just the thermostat). It has worked well - I believe coming on 6 years old now. It was labeled "85" on it - I assume that meant 85 degree celcius which translates to 185. It has worked very well.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:50 AM   #9
mizzly
mizzly is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

That is where my needle runs and i just changed my thermostat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mizzly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mizzly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:11 AM   #10
Gostlrs
Gostlrs is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSaturn02 View Post

Love that...You are so correct yet some people can't take it when someone else say's something different....

This seems like a very common issue on these. Mine does it as well but reads below the 1/4 mark. I plan to replace the thermostat & Temp Sensors because mine will raise when at idle but the fans won't turn on. (they work with A/C on though)

IMO if you are going to replace the thermostat why not swap out the temp sensors as well, only cost a few more bucks & the car is already drained to do it. A little preventive maint can go a long way sometimes.

Current Rides
2006 Pontiac Grand Prix
1994 Nissan Hardbody
1994 Mercury Capri XR2 (#350 of 366 Made)
1993 Saturn SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gostlrs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gostlrs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gostlrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
this is a picture after car is fully warmed up, its always stays at this location, do i have something that i needs fixed or is this location normal.

2002 saturn SC2 5 speed
If you have adequate heat from the heater and it moved quickly to that position then it is normal for the 2000+ Saturn temp gauge.

How these thermostats perform and last is a function of the external environment so what works in Houston Texas may be a dismal failure in Minneapolis.

If you have a 1st gen car the normal point is 1/2 not 1/4. The correct OEM replacement thermostat is the STANT 14279 or the equivalent in setpoint and physical construction from the other sellers.

Saturn 96 model year and newer temperature gauge reading vs. actual temperature as read from the ECTS.

GAGE Reading..........ECTS Temperature..........Event
.....1/4.................................150 F
.....3/8.................................192 F...................T-stat cracks open
.....3/8+................................195 F
.....1/2.................................212 F
.....9/16................................221 F...................Fan ON
.....7/16................................210 F...................Fan OFF coast to 205 F

The installed thermostat is marked as 87 C

Add 1/8 to the gauge reading column to obtain the corresponding gauge indication for Saturn 95 model year and older.
NOTE: 2000+ will read just above 1/4 and this is correct.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

If your car is not hard to start and you get decent MPG, your ECTS is probably OK. If you look at the wiring for the ECTS and notice shrink-wrap on it, it probably has been replaced already. If you see electric tape on it, it probably has been replaced but with some kind of mechanical connector that may be trouble in the future.
How to find/replace the ECTS

The Stant 14279 will fit and work (I've had two in my car, a little shy of 50k miles). The first one only lasted 3 years; several others who did the tstat replacement around that time also had earlier than expected failures. Parts stores guys aren't always right. BTW, many of us are using larger oil filters than the OEM one; if you aske the parts stores, they will either say it won't fit or don't know

Since the car is new to you, and you suspect the t-stat, and about 2/3 to 3/4 of the coolant will come out of the car when you replace the tstat anyway... now would be a good time to drain and flush out the system, and refill with a gallon of pure long-life Universal antifreeze and top off with distilled water.

Don't take it to a shop for this work; if you have some basic tools and a garden hose, you can do this yourself in an easy afternoon for about $25 total.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #13
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

For your year, that is on the low end of normal. I would say the thermostat is just tired, if you replaced you would probably get slightly better heat.

The readout on my '00 SW2 was just like yours and when I replaced the stat, the heat got a bit better and the gauge went another few needle lengths toward the middle.

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #14
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Just noticed, your car is a 2002 - those came from the factory with the brass tipped ECTS.

Plug in a code reader that can read live data and see what temp is being reported, or put a thermometer in the return stream of the reservoir when the engine is warmed up (careful not to get burned). Many Saturn gauges are inaccurate.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #15
shortchevy
shortchevy is on a distinguished road

my 01 used to run below 1/4 so I changed the t-stat and ects (plastic tipped) now it will sit right where yours is but only at idle. if I drive the car at 70mph for 5 min it will be a little below half. a bad ECTS will be obvious, like a hard start no temp reading (ive gone through 2 in 20,000 now, soldered new plug on both times and applied grease)

Seems like your t-stat is stuck open. not a pressing matter, cheap fix and easy to do. you'll need a 10mm wrench or socket a razor, scotch-brite, or piece of sandpaper and some Vaseline.

get a new t-stat and a (1) jug of dex-cool.

take apart
take out old
clean mating surface with razor or scotch-brite or sandpaper
put in new
put new o-ring in and use the Vaseline to hold it in place
install
top off coolant
DONE!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shortchevy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shortchevy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shortchevy is offline   Reply With Quote