SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
gruelens
gruelens has a spectacular aura aboutgruelens has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
Default Transmission advice please

Hi,

I am new to this forum and am grateful to have found you. I first posted this in the "general" section, but was advised to move it here.

I have a '99 SL2 w/ 115,000 miles. About a month ago while in the shop, the mechanic said my transmission fluid was burnt and he changed it along with the filter. I had not noticed any problems other than occasionally a hard downshift from fourth to third when a lot of gas was applied on a hill.

Fast forward to yesterday. My SL2 now clunks a little bit occasionally when shifting. The RPM's are higher than normal for given road speed. Example: at highway speed cruising it is about 300-400 more RPM than before (like it is slipping.) I have not detected any issues yet in reverse.

I have read some info about faulty valve body and input shaft nut. Any opinions would be appreciated.

George in PA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gruelens's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gruelens reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Transmission advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
I have a '99 SL2 w/ 115,000 miles. About a month ago while in the shop, the mechanic said my transmission fluid was burnt and he changed it along with the filter.
When was the fluid last changed before this?

Quote:
Fast forward to yesterday. My SL2 now clunks a little bit occasionally when shifting. The RPM's are higher than normal for given road speed. Example: at highway speed cruising it is about 300-400 more RPM than before (like it is slipping.) I have not detected any issues yet in reverse.
No SES light or codes?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
Woodpecker
Woodpecker is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Just 300-400 rpms above normal at cruising speed has me suspect of the torque converter clutch (the clutch itself or the solenoid, or fuse, etc on that system).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Woodpecker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Woodpecker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Woodpecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
gruelens

1999 SL2

In response to the two questions.

The previous transmission fluid had 50K miles on it. It was Amsoil synthetic, advertised to go 150K.

Yes my SES light is on. I do not have a code reader.

Thanks,
George

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help gruelens reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Yes my SES light is on. I do not have a code reader.
Do you have an Autozone or some other FLAPS that can read your codes? They will provide some clues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
ssewall
ssewall is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Quote:
occasionally a hard downshift from fourth to third when a lot of gas was applied on a hill.
Bad line pressure solenoid.

Testing and fixing the LP solenoid isn't too difficult. Here's the testing procedure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tDmBlKn2jI

It's unlikely changing the fluid broke anything, unless he used the wrong fluid (it should be an aftermarket brand universal dexron III/mercon, not dexron VI).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssewall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssewall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
campus189
campus189 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssewall View Post
Bad line pressure solenoid.

Testing and fixing the LP solenoid isn't too difficult. Here's the testing procedure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tDmBlKn2jI

It's unlikely changing the fluid broke anything, unless he used the wrong fluid (it should be an aftermarket brand universal dexron III/mercon, not dexron VI).
If your going to be checking the solenoid, then check connector on top of transmission while your at it.
Heres the video.

1997 Saturn SL2 144,000 Miles
1997 Saturn SL1 254,000 Miles
1997 Saturn SL1 157,000 Miles
1996 Saturn SL1 97,000 Miles

Also known as FiremanCV on YouTube

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to campus189's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help campus189 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
campus189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
gruelens

1999 SL2

Thanks to all forum members for your help and advice. Here is the final info, hopefully someone can learn from this.

My codes were :
PO732 incorrect gear ratio
PO741 torque converter clutch stuck off
PO764 shift solenoid intermittent
PO782 2-3 shift problem

I purchased a rebuilt transmission valve body from ebay seller "dink2954". I spoke with him twice on the phone and he was very helpful.

Installing the rebuilt valve body (also changed trans fluid and filter) fixed up my car's transmission and all is working well now.

George in PA.
============================

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
Do you have an Autozone or some other FLAPS that can read your codes? They will provide some clues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!