SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2011, 01:27 AM   #1
diplomat1
diplomat1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
Default Why does my car start with high rpm's everytime?

Hello there. I have a 94 saturn sl2 and i wanted to know the reason it starts and goes to high rpm's (round 2000) then drops to 1300 until it warms up? It only does it when i start the car when its sitting over night but when i use the car and get out and get something from the store and come back and start the car it doesnt do it. What can it be? I replaced the thermostat couple of months ago so i dont think thats it. Thanks guys

EDIT: I algo have code 26 if that matters.

Prince

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to diplomat1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help diplomat1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
diplomat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2011, 01:42 AM   #2
colonelhogan44
Master Member
colonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SL2
Default Re: Why does my car start with high rpm's everytime?

That's normal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:18 AM   #3
desertrat
desertrat is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1

That's about normal for lots of cars. It has to do with cold start. As it warms up, or goes through it's cycle, or loop, the RPMs start dropping. It checks outside temp and elevation, too I think. Hope this helps. I always let my car warm up for about 5 minutes before I start driving. Gives me time to take off my work shoes at work and switch to my normal shoes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to desertrat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help desertrat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
desertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

A high idle when cold warms your engine more quickly, to get it into closed loop more quickly for fuel economy.

My Honda CRX had a cold idle of 3,000+ rpm; I almost took it back to the dealership, before I read the info on the emissions sticker under the hood - said 3k~3.5k was normal cold idle

Some reading on your 26 if you are inclined
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284

edit: just noticed your warmed up idle is 1300 - that is high, I think normal is 800~950. Has your ECTS been replaced, and where do your engine temps sit at when the engine is warm? Last hrottle body and IAC cleaning?

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
just noticed your warmed up idle is 1300 - that is high, I think normal is 800~950.
OP said it's 1300 until warmed up. That's normal. Idle can be as low as 750 with an auto in gear. As long as it's over 700 and less than 1000 when warmed up, don't worry about it (there's a more specific range, if you go by the FSM, but analog tachometers like yours are not all that accurate, so I wouldn't be worried about seeing the exact number the FSM specs, without a more accurate way to determine rpm).

Should work on that code 26, though...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticCarsRock View Post
OP said it's 1300 until warmed up.
Thanks, skimming posts and missed the "until it's warmed up" part.

My tach is off by 50 rpm high

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
diplomat1

1994 SL2

So i did some research and found out that alot of people fixed this problem by replacing the egr valve solenoid/egr valve/evap soleinold. My car is a 94 sl2 with an ELECTRIC egr ( no soleinoid i believe). Will a bad egr valve cause code 26 to go off? The code come and goes. Only comes when the car is warm and sitting idle for like 5 mins. When the car moves the light goes away.Will the evap solenoid fix this code? DO i even have that? Thanks guys

Prince

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help diplomat1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

What's idle rpm when its fully warmed up? Normal cold start idle would be closer to 1200rpm and 800-900rpm after warming up.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #9
diplomat1

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
What's idle rpm when its fully warmed up? Normal cold start idle would be closer to 1200rpm and 800-900rpm after warming up.
Exactly what i thought. Usually before this problem happened it went up to around 1500 when i started the car then go to 1300-1200 until warmed at 700-800. Now it goes straight up to 1900 rpm's the gradually goes down until the idle it around 700-800 fully warmed. It just happened when i start it after an over night or a couple of hours pass. Thanks

Prince

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #10
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Check out the Richpin videos on youtube for both TB and EGR cleaning. If you do both there's a 99% chance it will go away. Easy to do and something you can do in maybe an hour or so (the first time).

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:02 AM   #11
diplomat1

1994 SL2

Cleaned both already 100% bout couple of months ago? I replaced plugs and wires but i think the valve cover where the plugs go i think is leaking and puttin oil on the plugs. Could that do anything?

Prince

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-15-2011, 03:32 AM   #12
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Oil would introduce misfiring and lower idle. A vacuum leak would allow more air to raise rpm across the entire rpm band. A leaking/sticking egr valve allows exhaust gases that reduces rpm.

A worn out throttle position sensor can raise rpm until the engine is shut off and restarted. Usually this occurs after warm up while driving and restarting drops idle speed back. Only a replacement tps will cure erratic high idling. Whether this corrects your situation is debatable.

Checking for intake manifold gasket leaks would be difficult as a cold engine will expand parts that can seal off vacuum leaks..............

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #13
diplomat1

1994 SL2

UPDATE: So i replaced the TPS sensor and still same issue. Here is a video of when i start the car and how high the rpm's go (in this video the car was a little warmed up from the drive before so thats why it fell low so quick)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZUR1aXdggQ

You see how it hits around 2k rpms i havent seen the car ever do this ever before a couple of weeks ago. Here is how i thought the car should start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJUgYzJMa-U

I know the rpm's feel down quick (cause it was warmed up) but before even if the car was cold from sitting overnight, it would still start up at the same rpm's it started up when the car was warmed. Please any help would be appreciated. Also i pulled a spark plug out and the plug was SOAKED in oil. Does that mean i need a new valve cover? Thanks

Prince

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Those two videos show a normal start up. Since the rpm hits a peak of 2k or less and quickly drops down to below 1k its presumed the engine was warm each time. There's nothing to be concerned about. Normal cold engine starts might have the initial rpm high but if it quickly drops down to 1200-1500rpm while warming up, this is normal behavior.

Oil soaked plugs means the valve cover needs new plug gaskets to seal around the cover to engine block and keep oil from seeping into the plug area. Next time you pull any plug, look into the plug opening and check for oil covering the lower part of the plug. Oil covering the plugs before removing them is a valve cover gasket leak.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-20-2011, 12:29 AM   #15
diplomat1

1994 SL2

Yea thats what i said it was already a little warmed up fdryer but my question is in the first video see how it goes to 2000 rpm's when started. it never did that until lately my questions is why. Is that normal? Also today i started my car (it was warm already i ran in the store for a second) and the idle went really low around 500 but when i turned the car off and turned it back on it was back to around 700-800. Any idea why?

Prince

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-20-2011, 12:54 AM   #16
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You may be obsessing a little more than necessary as nothing seems out of the ordinary. The car starts and runs without staying at high rpm's unless the engine is cold and then its only running around 1200rpm until the engine warms up. A little higher rpm and dropping immediately won't harm the engine.

If you want to go further then start checking fuel pressure for possible leaks in any injector (not likely) or fuel pressure regulator (not likely). Read all you can about electronic fuel injection and how each sensor sends data to the pcm to act on it to develop air fuel mixtures. Then when you're armed with all the information, determine when a sensor or two changes the behavior of EFI systems. By the time you absorb all the information and become experienced you'll have moved on to other cars...............................

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-21-2011, 11:14 PM   #17
rowdydog
Advanced Member
rowdydog has a spectacular aura aboutrowdydog has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line

try cleaning the IAC, mine was carboned up its below the tps

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rowdydog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rowdydog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rowdydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #18
Rand0m0sityxX
Rand0m0sityxX is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

If its just start up I think it's normal.

Mine (a '99 sl2) start up used to go up to 3,000 rpms then drop to 1,000 rpm once warmed. BUT it also jumped around when I go to stop and stuff on the road.

I haven't figured out what it is tho, my husband unplugged the Idle Air Control Valve, which I don't know if its good or not. I want to say its the EGR or something like that but he won't listen to me because they're "expensive".

1999 Saturn SL2- Maria- 134,000

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rand0m0sityxX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rand0m0sityxX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rand0m0sityxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:49 PM   #19
98 Rider
98 Rider is on a distinguished road

My daughters 98 Saturn's rpm would always raise up to 2500 rpm and drop down to 1100 at start up. No matter if the engine is cold or hot, same thing. I replaced the IAC valve. This is the idle air control valve. Problem solved. I got the iac valve from Ebay for $10 bucks brand new. For those of you who are experiencing this same problem, replace your iac valve. For us the iac valve is located at the rear front portion of the throttle body facing the firewall. Two torx head screws which are a little tricky to get at. Be sure to place a rag under the throttle body in case you drop the screw it will fall on the rag. Other wise you will never find it if you drop it without something to catch it. Clean out the throttle body with throttle body spay cleaner. You can purchase a can at any automotive parts store. After you remove the old iac valve, then clean the throttle body. Again, place an old rag under the throttle body to catch the dirty liquid that will drip out while spraying. You will see black liquid drip out, that is the carbon that had build up over time. Make sure that you spray the inside of the throttle body real good. Especially around the round throttle plate inside the throttle body. Keep spraying and wiping with a clean rag until you don't see anymore of the black carbon on the rag. Then install the new iac valve. Before you start the job, disconnect your negative battery terminal. Good luck, Tommy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98 Rider's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98 Rider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98 Rider is offline   Reply With Quote