SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
Midnight13
Midnight13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Finished fixing my bodykit AGAIN!! (pics)

Well it's been a few weeks since I finished fixing my front bodykit and put it back on.

I live in the sticks in WNY so i've hit everything including rabbits, raccoons, frogs, possums, a fox, and even a deer! Not to mention my stupidity hitting a curb. A store curb, I just came up too close.A 10 inch field drift in the winter claimed a few more bits of the bottom of the bumper too. And the last straw being a careless driver in an Aveo who made a triple car pass, and hit me while getting back in the lane, made me take it off for the winter.

It's been taken off and fixed numerous time, and this is the 6th time I've fixed the bumper. I love the way it looks, but wish I would of sprung for a urethane kit at the time I was looking opposed to the fiberglass. Just not a good idea being on a daily driver, and driving the distances I do in it. Everything is at least a half hour from where I live!

Well it's fixed..painted at my hubby's shop, and is back on now!!! Until the next animal crosses my path

May not be some of yours thing when it comes to cars, but I like it, and think I did a pretty damn good job! I think it turned out great!

Top,under the light-before

Top,under the light-after

side-before

side-after

bottom-before

bottom-underneath

bottom-after

Totally forgot to get pics of the bumper after it was primed

Back from paint.
Repainted the mesh and the license plate cover.

Stock bumper off, waiting for kit to be put back on

Had to get under to screw bumper to fenders

Repainted the front badge,was a little faded

Back to her old self!

"Not for human consumption!" - Peas in the Pod

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Peas-in-a-Pod/160649663950771

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Midnight13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Midnight13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Midnight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
Saturnboy2002
Saturnboy2002 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default Re: Finished fixing my bodykit AGAIN!! (pics)

wow looks good

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturnboy2002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturnboy2002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturnboy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:25 AM   #3
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

I'm curious, if you didn't have the connections to the shop & stuff, and were just taking it to someone else's shop & paying the full bill, what do you think you'd have to pay for each repair? This is the kind of stuff that people need to understand before they put a kit on their car... it's not just $400 for a kit and then the car is awesome, there's paint, there's careful driving, and even with that there's often still repairs...

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:31 AM   #4
Midnight13

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy View Post
I'm curious, if you didn't have the connections to the shop & stuff, and were just taking it to someone else's shop & paying the full bill, what do you think you'd have to pay for each repair? This is the kind of stuff that people need to understand before they put a kit on their car... it's not just $400 for a kit and then the car is awesome, there's paint, there's careful driving, and even with that there's often still repairs...
Well, let me start off by saying this thread was months ago, and this work was done April 28th as the dates say.

After putting the kit back on, and between the flexing of it in general on normal roads, and not to mention a bird hitting the lower grill and causing that bottom part to split...yet again, it will need to be fixed a 7th time!!! It was reinforced thicker and STILL cracked!!

I can't imagine what the costs would be everytime I had to pay a shop to just paint my bumper. I know a gallon of just singlestage red paint for my camaro a few years back was $80, base coat/ clear coat is going to be much more. with labor rates, i can see just a bumper job being a good $200 in itself. Not something i would of wanted to pay $1200 for already for my repairs over the years.

My kit cost $500, and this was a few years back, they can go easily $7-$800 for a full bodykit.I know, I've looked recently to see if my kit was still even made and what it goes for. Then add the cost to have it painted to match. I can't tell you how many kits are slapped on cars that aren't painted and look effin terrible! It's a halfarse job and everyone looking at it knows it. It doesn't make the car look "cool" at all, it makes you look stupid! And random rattle can jobs that don't match the car look just as stupid. The color being slightly off is just as bad as not painting it at all. Thinking we won't notice is stupid too!

My car looks like this, i'll get mistaken for the punkarse kid all the time! the fact is I have a 2 yr old now, and even since having him, I've been ticket free, and drive alot better and more cautiously then I did years ago. That being said, my careful driving doesn't stop animals and other people hitting me from causing some sort of damage year after year to the front bumper.

I love the look of my car, don't get me wrong, it doesn't look like herself at all in the winter when she has her stock bumper back on. Something else not realized. Winter driving. Even I caused more damage to cracks already there because of unplowed roads that had snow higher than my bumper. It was an unexpected situation that I had to drive in it. Your front bumper acts as a plow in the road!!

If it's a daily driver, not just Saturn, but any car anyones thinking of putting a bodykit on, I advise against it! Kits are for show cars that don't get driven or trailored.

Just because of your post..and your questioning Purdue, i hope my response will shed some light on those thinking about a bodykit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Midnight13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2011, 03:30 AM   #5
Evil_SL2
Evil_SL2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I totally understand what you are saying. A bodykit on a daily driver is a huge mistake. I bottom out all the time, and scrape everytime I pull into a parking lot. Your works looks great, and i really love those rims on it. lol you are about to catch up with me. I have fixed my bumper 14 times so far. As for the shop charge, I got hit in the rear, and took it to the buick dealer, and they charged me almost $700 just for the rear bumper. I'll upload some pics of my SL2 later on today.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Evil_SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Evil_SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Evil_SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
Midnight13

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_SL2 View Post
I totally understand what you are saying. A bodykit on a daily driver is a huge mistake. I bottom out all the time, and scrape everytime I pull into a parking lot. Your works looks great, and i really love those rims on it. lol you are about to catch up with me. I have fixed my bumper 14 times so far. As for the shop charge, I got hit in the rear, and took it to the buick dealer, and they charged me almost $700 just for the rear bumper. I'll upload some pics of my SL2 later on today.
Pheww..I feel better, i'm not the only one! For $700, I think I would of gotten a whole new kit!! I hope at least their insurance covered that little repair. They're just never the same after the first break.

It was coming in the Advanced driveway and I guess was just steep enough to flex the bottom crack enough to break it back open..then a stupid bird made it worse! I just can't win!

Looking forward to seeing pics of yours, I've only ever seen 2 other SL's with a kit in the 5 years i've owned mine!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
djsmoove
djsmoove is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2

man i can tell u this car looks very nice.. bro i dig the kit too. question did u lower the car any with the kit. and as for self install. was it easy? just wanted u to know the kit is clean man!!! awesome job bro

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djsmoove's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djsmoove reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djsmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
Evil_SL2

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight13 View Post
Pheww..I feel better, i'm not the only one! For $700, I think I would of gotten a whole new kit!! I hope at least their insurance covered that little repair. They're just never the same after the first break.

It was coming in the Advanced driveway and I guess was just steep enough to flex the bottom crack enough to break it back open..then a stupid bird made it worse! I just can't win!

Looking forward to seeing pics of yours, I've only ever seen 2 other SL's with a kit in the 5 years i've owned mine!
Yea, I want to install a flamethrower on her or those ****ing birds lmao. I was coming home from the girlfriends place and smacked right into one lol. Yea, it seem that all the advance lots have really bad "valleys" when you pull in. I also have a question I forgot to ask. Is this color a rose red metallic and did you use a flat black as a base coat? Mine is the exact same color lol. When i make my thread it will be called My kitted SL2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Evil_SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
Evil_SL2

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsmoove View Post
man i can tell u this car looks very nice.. bro i dig the kit too. question did u lower the car any with the kit. and as for self install. was it easy? just wanted u to know the kit is clean man!!! awesome job bro
I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in on this question lol, for me the kit was kinda hard to install, but may been easy for some one else. The indented holes are off a bit and you have to drill your self. Midnights looks perfect, as for mine still needs some work to line up better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #10
Midnight13

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I lowered it about an inch, I used the spring compressor things found at Advanced, for like $10 pair. It threw my camber off, and didn't know it, til I went in for an inspection and the belts were showing on my low pros!!

I had to have an alignment. However if I take the compressors off, it will need it again.

The kit is not hard at all to install. The first time i put it on it looked the best,lol!!

With the breakages and repairs, it needs to be tweaked a little, as in screwed in from underneath, from the kit into the fender. Hard to explain.

I also screw the very edges of the top of the kit, like the corners...to the fender. I'll have to take pics one of these days of that.

It looks good in pics, but if you get up on it, you can see the imperfections. It's no where near as perfect as it used to be, but it's pretty darn close.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #11
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

Quote:
do not kit your car or use spring compressors to lower the car

'02 SL1 [w/ a snail-shaped muffler]
'06 Vue RL
Saturn Night is Special ED.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #12
Midnight13

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexofNazareth View Post
do not kit your car or use spring compressors to lower the car

I would advise AGAINST Kits and using the compressors as well. I'm just gonna end up removing the compressors, and realingning it next spring.

They just aren't worth it for a DD,imo.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2011, 12:45 AM   #13
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight13 View Post
I would advise AGAINST Kits and using the compressors as well. I'm just gonna end up removing the compressors, and realingning it next spring.

They just aren't worth it for a DD,imo.
Spring compressors aren't the way to properly lower a car anyway, lowering springs are.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:42 AM   #14
Midnight13

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy View Post
Spring compressors aren't the way to properly lower a car anyway, lowering springs are.
It's not getting lowering springs, i want it back at normal height. Should of had them in the first place, but didn't have the knowledge i do now years ago when i did that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!