SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
dinocoblue
dinocoblue is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Good Price?

Buying an XR 2 Door. 18k and 18 months left on bumper to bumper. Flawless inside. One small ding that I will have fixed outside. No curb rash on the 17"s. Pretty much looks brand new. I do not think it has the up-level stereo or heated seats. Cloth. California car bought new 8/09. Will be going in my garage with my Outlook XR. Is $10,500 good?

Thanks.

Chris

My other car is a jet...

http://www.cessna.com/citation/citation-x.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dinocoblue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dinocoblue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dinocoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
dinocoblue

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Good Price?

Supposed to pick it up on Tuesday but really need to know if this is a good deal. Anyone?

C

My other car is a jet...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dinocoblue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
MGGDTW
MGGDTW is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Id say YES. Thats pretty low mileage. And the remainder of the bumper/bumper warranty is nice too. I say offer 10k and use the other $500 for something else!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MGGDTW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MGGDTW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MGGDTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
fueled
fueled is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

that's about right. just don't plan on selling it! it's a fun car, enjoy!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fueled's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fueled reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fueled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:25 AM   #5
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Sounds about right to me too. If you compare the Astra to other used cars right now, they are a very good deal (especially when you look at the level of equipment the Astra has). Just be prepared to deal with long waits on some parts, and know that if you have much more than a minor fender bender, it's probably going to be totaled because the parts are pricey and take a long time to get (get gap insurance and rental car reimbursement). I'm not trying to be a downer... just being honest. I love my Astra and enjoy my commute in it every day, even after over 2 years of ownership.

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
dinocoblue

2008 Astra XR

Thanks for all the feedback. I have been a GTI owner for a long time and thought I would try something different. A used GTI with the same specs would be over 20k so this is a no brainer. Picking it up on Tuesday.

Thanks again.

Chtis

My other car is a jet...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enoughTom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

i have a blue manual 3 door with 13k miles on it and i would list it for 12k and see what happens hoping to get 11K. 10.5 is about right if it is a manual. everything was standard on the three doors (17" wheels, stability, traction, sport suspension) except for three options besides the automatic - 18" wheels $500, cd changer $500 and leather/butt warmer package $700. msrp was 19000 before those options.

Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom S2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
SPM
SPM is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

I love the car but the real question might be how much will we be paying for parts a few years from now and also how available will they be?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SPM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SPM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
Tom S2
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPM View Post
I love the car but the real question might be how much will we be paying for parts a few years from now and also how available will they be?
35 years ago that was an issue. with the interwebz you can get anythign you need from europe, and dont forget the dna it shares with the cruze.

im not worried.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
SPM

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S2 View Post
35 years ago that was an issue. with the interwebz you can get anythign you need from europe, and dont forget the dna it shares with the cruze.

im not worried.
Sounds nice in theory, but when this is your main vehicle and you are waiting on a shipment from Europe that can take weeks, it doesn't sound as nice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SPM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SPM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-23-2011, 11:18 PM   #11
Tom S2
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPM View Post
Sounds nice in theory, but when this is your main vehicle and you are waiting on a shipment from Europe that can take weeks, it doesn't sound as nice.
if say a clutch is starting to go, I should have enough warning to order one from wherever and have it shipped. same for things like shocks, brakes, and even a water pump which i bet is stocked at napa etc.

if my motor blows up, the few extra days to get parts is the difference bety really screwed and very screwed. either way screwed is screwed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #12
SPM

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S2 View Post
if say a clutch is starting to go, I should have enough warning to order one from wherever and have it shipped. same for things like shocks, brakes, and even a water pump which i bet is stocked at napa etc.

if my motor blows up, the few extra days to get parts is the difference bety really screwed and very screwed. either way screwed is screwed.
My intake manifold took nearly a month, and this was when the Saturn dealer was still around and it took me calling GM directly to get a push on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SPM's Reputation
Old 04-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #13
ohiost90
ohiost90 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

FWIW -

I'm picking up a XR 5 door w/36k. Auto, roof, TC, and butt warmers.
So more miles on it than yours but better optioned. I'm paying 10,800. I feel I got a pretty good deal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ohiost90's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ohiost90 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ohiost90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #14
strz
strz is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

emg77 is right:
- got into (what seemed like) only a "fender bender"
- $6k later, it is still in the body shop (since the 1st week of Feb)
- I have gap insurance (and wasn't at fault), but my insurance company refused to total the car (I "warned" them, that it will tough as nails to get parts, but they wouldn't listen)

Bottom line- I love my 3 door hatch, 18" wheels, tight handling, and 30 mpg....but I'm stuck with a bad deal/loan on this car.

Good luck with your decision-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to strz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help strz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
strz is offline   Reply With Quote