SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
mysaturn99
mysaturn99 is on a distinguished road

Default p0172 and hard start after timing chain replaced

ok here is some back ground on the problem. I replaced the timing chain in the car and when i went to start it the car would fire and just stumble and barely idle then stall. The first thing i thought of was the timing was off. So i pulled the valve cover off and put a long screw driver in the number 1cylinder.Whenever the number one cylinder was at TDC the mark on the timing gears were straight up or down. So i figure the timing was ok. so i put everything back together.
I try and restart it. If I hold the pedal to the floor it fires and then stumbles for a little bit. Then revs up and then idles ok. I take the car for a drive and it is low on power and holds the shifts alot more then normal. This is when the p0172 comes up. I have been driving the car this way for a week. When the engine is warm it will fire up and idle ok, but still lacks power. When it has been stting all day and is cold I have to hold it to the floor to get it to start. Here is what I have checked

1.fuel pressure with key on not running is good and didn't seem to leak down
2.Pulled the injectors and turned the key on. the one injector had a dime size wet spot under it. I wouldnt think that would be enought to do it.
3.checked the plugs and all 4 are black.
4. pulled the oxgen sensor and tried starting it but got the same results, so i figure the exhuast isnt pluged
5. vacum is right at 19 or 20 at idle is pretty steady
6 the coolant sensor is about one year old and is brass. The conector was kind of dirty, but when i tried to clean it I broke it. new one on the way
7.The live data with code scanner shows the timing at idle around 15 but it does jump around like up to 17 or 18.

I have read the alot on the p0172 code and I know it can be a pain to figure out,but i think what ever is causing that is the samething that is causing my starting issue. I keep going back to the timing chain. The car always started perfect before i did the timing chain and the p0172 was never a problem before that.

Could it still be a timing issue or did something else just happen to go bad while i had it apart.

99 sl2 185,000 (motor rebuilt 181,000)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mysaturn99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mysaturn99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mysaturn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: p0172 and hard start after timing chain replaced

Usually when something comes up wrong after fixing something the cause is what you fixed last. All indications are the engine is out of time. Where did the timing chain come from and did you replace just the chain or all the parts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Was the timing set replaced along with a rebuild or later? Time line of maintenance is what I am asking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysaturn99
coolant sensor is about one year old and is brass. The conector was kind of dirty, but when i tried to clean it I broke it. new one on the way
I'm a little confused - do you have a broken connector on the ECTS then? Or is it just something minor, like a tab or something broken on the connector?

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
mysaturn99

I rebuilt the motor a year ago this past summer. About 2 weeks ago the new timing set I had put on when i rebuilt it streched and started making a noise. So I e-mailed rock auto and they sent me a knew one.

I wasn't looking forward to pulling everything back apart, but it looks like I am going to have to.

The ECTS connector had some green on the termanals so i sprayed some cleaner in them and was trying to use a small screwdriver to scrap it off when I broke it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mysaturn99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I wonder if the stretched chain caused damage or the green ECTS is the reason it would not start. I would wait for the connector and be sure to actually solder the splices. Crimp connectors fail.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-29-2011, 09:52 PM   #7
mysaturn99

The car was still starting great with the streched chain when I took it apart, so i am hoping there wasnt any damage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I suspect the ECTS is the problem. The engine starts rich and a defective ECTS can flood it right out and it will not start.
The 172 tells you it is swimming in gas...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
mysaturn99

All fixed and runs like a top! I put the new ECTS on and it didn't make any difference, so i broke down and took the front cover off. I was dead on with the 2 cam gears, but I was 2 or 3 teeth off on the crank sprocket. I fixed the crank sprocket, put everything back togther and it fired right up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Well, that will make it run rich every time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2011, 01:21 AM   #11
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Two or three CRANK teeth off??!? It's a wonder it didn't mangle a valve or two, let alone that it started.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:07 AM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It was probably retarded direction so they miss.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #13
mysaturn99

Yeah i got lucky that is wasn't alot worse. I know i am getting way to good at pulling that front cover off. lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!