SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
swagnutz
swagnutz is on a distinguished road

Default now that saturns gone what happens????

I been trying to find a thread that relates to my question but i tend to keep finding the questions skipped...

Now that Saturn has been laid to rest what will happen? i currently own a 1999 saturn and was wondering are parts going to become rare if anything were to go wrong? should i be expecting to pay more now for future problems? is my car now considered an antique and more valuble if i sold it? or is it worth as much as a piece of paper practicly?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to swagnutz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help swagnutz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
swagnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: now that saturns gone what happens????

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagnutz View Post
Now that Saturn has been laid to rest what will happen? i currently own a 1999 saturn and was wondering are parts going to become rare if anything were to go wrong? should i be expecting to pay more now for future problems? is my car now considered an antique and more valuble if i sold it? or is it worth as much as a piece of paper practicly?
Since Saturn isn't, say, a Pontiac, Oldsmobile, HUMMER, or <insert other dead car company excluding Geo and Eagle here>, it's worth as much as a piece of paper, sadly.

Antique status happens 25 years after production. your car is 12 years old; you have 13 more to go.

Some parts will no doubt get rare and the aftermarket will be $hi++y (if it already isn't now), so you might be paying more for certain parts. All you can do is stock up on good known parts, fix as needed, and when the time comes stick it to G.M. by getting some other brand instead .

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
swagnutz
swagnutz is on a distinguished road

so would it be worth more my while now to try selling or traden my car in for another one before anything could go wrong??? and would it possibly sell for more because of the part issues out there becoming a little more rare? my girls mom was telling me today (this is why i got my questions now) that her brother or something like that tranny went in there saturn. (even tho i know this is a common problem with saturn one of my ex's blew in front of me a couple snowstorms ago) and now they cant get it fixed because saturn is gone and they have not been able to find new parts to fix the tranny. i told them with a saturn it is not worth fixing because its like 8 years old but still..??..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to swagnutz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help swagnutz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
swagnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:45 PM   #4
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagnutz View Post
so would it be worth more my while now to try selling or traden my car in for another one before anything could go wrong??? and would it possibly sell for more because of the part issues out there becoming a little more rare? my girls mom was telling me today (this is why i got my questions now) that her brother or something like that tranny went in there saturn. (even tho i know this is a common problem with saturn one of my ex's blew in front of me a couple snowstorms ago) and now they cant get it fixed because saturn is gone and they have not been able to find new parts to fix the tranny. i told them with a saturn it is not worth fixing because its like 8 years old but still..??..
Honestly I'd check on blue book and on your local craigslist to see how well Saturns are priced before trading it or selling it. I doubt part issues will help with the resale value though.

What kind of Saturn is it? you could scour the junkyards for a new tranny.. also what went wrong with the tranny in the first place?

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

A 12 year old Saturn is not a hot commodity. Drive it till it starts costing you money. There were never any Saturns that were destined for collectible status - no convertibles, no muscle cars, no wicked turbos except for the Sky.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

I also have a 99. Many parts are readily available like brake parts, water pumps, etc. The problem is Saturn specific parts may by harder to get. When my slider on a window broke, I purchased two before my Saturn dealership became a used car lot. I was not sure if it would easy to get in the future. If you can do repairs yourself that makes a big difference. If I get a two or three more years of use I will be happy. Piney has a realistic outlook. I have failed to the throw in the towel on other vehicles and wasted a lot of money.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to behold

1993 SW2

A lot depends on the following the cars have going forward. Another orphan car that GM sadly dropped the ball on was the Chevy Corvair, of which I have one. Nearly as soon as they stopped being produced, people started collecting them. One enterprising fan of them, Cal Clark, who was a high school teacher at the time started amassing parts for the cars and eventually built it into a bustling business. Eventually, he got the official parts business from GM who really wanted nothing to do with the cars and continues to this day as the world's largest supplier of Corvair parts (Clark's Corvair Parts in Shelburne Falls, Massachussetts). In addition to used parts, he carries hundreds of reproduction parts and still has "NOS" (new old stock) parts from GM, though the NOS supply is dwindling.

Perhaps some enterprising soul, even someone on this forum might be the Cal Clark of the Saturn story. I don't know how many "old car" buffs or car collectors frequent Saturnfans.com, but I for one intend to keep my 1993 SW2 indefinitely. The 2001 LW300, while a car that I do like a lot, will likely be replaced by a minivan in the next few years, since my wife probably won't be too supportive of a fleet of entirely antique orphan cars. My 1993 is already 18 years old and on it's way to being an antique car officially. It is also among the first wagons made by Saturn. But my main reasons for wanting to keep it are,

1) it's an art car and as such I have an attachment to it.
2) its polymer body panels make it the perfect winter car to drive when my Corvair is put away for the snow season here in the salty north.
3) Sadly, Saturn is the last "new" car that I had any faith in and felt an attachment to. Keeping one of my Saturns is a way to preserve that memory. Not all collectibles have to be muscle cars or convertibles; sometimes just being old is enough to make a car cool, though at other times, being significantly different than the other cars available at the time (and both the Corvair and Saturn fit this bill, though in very different ways).

P.S. to those of you who are unfamiliar with the Corvair, or have been otherwise ill-informed about the car and its history, I have a post about it in my restoration blog here:

http://www.chezhawk.com/VairBlog/?p=19

Karl in Boston
2001 Saturn LW300
1993 Saturn SW2
1966 Corvair Monza Convertible (project Car)
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
DAWINNINGS
DAWINNINGS is on a distinguished road

Please, I wish that Saturn community will move on,I have a wonderful saturn that I need to get rid of, Move on folks, move on, thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DAWINNINGS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DAWINNINGS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DAWINNINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #9
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

one possible collectable in time may be the ion redline. fast and rare.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #10
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to behold

1993 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWINNINGS View Post
Please, I wish that Saturn community will move on,I have a wonderful saturn that I need to get rid of, Move on folks, move on, thanks
You are free to move on and do whatever you wish with your Saturn, but some people may choose to do differently.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:52 AM   #11
mattachuz
Advanced Member
mattachuz is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

i paid 1600$ cash for my 00' LS1 with 169k miles on it, its at 180,500 miles now and the dealerships all are willing to give me 1500 to 2000 dollars for it on trade in. So I have no loss, but the people that bought the 00' LS1 and paid 18 grand for it off the lot, and now are getting a offer of 1500 to 2000 dollars for it on trade in. I'm sorry guys.

Honestly any car im buying will probably have a ecotec engine and be a GM car.

mi: 199,xxx

trips:

X = dest
O = ON way

home- Clovis, ca

Pismo Beach: xx
Morro Bay: oo
San Francisco: x
Los Angeles: ooo
Anahiem (disneyland): xxx
Tulare: o,(x-atleast 15)
Visalia: x

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattachuz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattachuz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattachuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #12
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

I can only think of two Saturns that may become collectors' items over time:

ION Red Line
SKY Red Line

other than those, the car is probably worth as much as paper.

Eventually, Saturn-specific parts will be harder to find as the number of older models still drivable diminishes. It may be easier to find parts for the Outlook and Aura, as these Saturns had more commonality with other GM vehicles.

Most Saturn owners have likely made their decision already and generally fall into two groups; either they've moved on, or will drive their current Saturn until it no longer runs. Chevy (and Buick) hopes the former will give them a chance, but it's too late for me, since I have had two Nissans since totaling my SL2 in an accident four years ago.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #13
SaturnIONSLVUE
Advanced Member
SaturnIONSLVUE is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2006 VUE 3.5L

When my Saturn ION dies i hope a long time away, or sooner when I get rid of a 2005 jeep liberty that someone gave to me, I'll be going back to Ford. I am done with GM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnIONSLVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnIONSLVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnIONSLVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #14
mike08vue
mike08vue is on a distinguished road

Since the '08-'10 Vue will be "cloned" as the 2012 Chevy Captiva,there should be no problem with parts for the forseeable future. I think we will keep the Vue for some time. However, when the time does come, I will look at something other than GM. My wife likes the Mini Countryman and I kind of like the Subaru Outback.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike08vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike08vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike08vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #15
hoggman
hoggman has a spectacular aura abouthoggman has a spectacular aura abouthoggman has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL1
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Down Re: now that saturns gone what happens????

this is a touchy subject for me.gm made a terrible decision for killing the brand.every day you see saturns of all types new and old on the road.yes these cars have their quirks but im very happy with my two cars.fuel efficient,easy to work on and the polymer panels keep the car looking nice.i personally will never understand the logic but we have to move on eventually

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoggman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoggman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #16
txsaturn
txsaturn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike08vue View Post
My wife likes the Mini Countryman and I kind of like the Subaru Outback.
Stick with the Mini. I'm a former VUE owner and a current owner of a 2010 Outback. Just browse the Outback forums, the new ones are POS's. Would much prefer my old high mileage, base model 2003 VUE over the new Outback...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to txsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help txsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
txsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote