SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
dah97765
dah97765 will become famous soon enoughdah97765 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL
Default Where to go now that Saturns are no longer sold?

So I am curious about what everyone's thoughts are about other auto brands for future car purchases?

In the next year or so I would like to give the Saturn to my brother, at which point I will need to get another car.

I realized this is a loaded question, but this is my early research phase

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dah97765's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dah97765 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dah97765 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
alanredd
alanredd is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Where to go now that Saturns are no longer sold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dah97765 View Post
So I am curious about what everyone's thoughts are about other auto brands for future car purchases?

In the next year or so I would like to give the Saturn to my brother, at which point I will need to get another car.

It's a toss-up between Saturn and .. er .. um .. Honda.

GM really sort of shot themselves in the foot I'm afraid .. as there are other brands that could've been eliminated long before they ever got to Saturn ..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alanredd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alanredd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alanredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
AnalogGuy
AnalogGuy is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dah97765 View Post

I'm not trying to be snarky, but what about another Saturn? I have been driving used Saturns for years. I'm on my third used SL2. It's a 1995 and runs great. I figure they end up costing less than $100 a month since they are so cheap to acquire and pretty reliable if you know how to take care of them. You will save so much money in the long run if you keep driving Saturns. I don't think a new car is worth the cash.

Carl

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AnalogGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AnalogGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AnalogGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I hope to get a used pre 2000 Subie Impreza, or an AWD DSM. Need something that'll spin all 4 wheels anyway

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
dah97765
dah97765 will become famous soon enoughdah97765 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogGuy View Post
I'm not trying to be snarky, but what about another Saturn? I have been driving used Saturns for years. I'm on my third used SL2. It's a 1995 and runs great. I figure they end up costing less than $100 a month since they are so cheap to acquire and pretty reliable if you know how to take care of them. You will save so much money in the long run if you keep driving Saturns. I don't think a new car is worth the cash.

Carl
Agreed on the new car. I should have made more emphasis on not buying "New", but 'another' car. I doubt I will ever buy a new car unless I win the lottery.

My only concern about getting another Saturn for future years is availability of parts. Admittedly, my Saturn is the only car that I have ever worked on, so I lack the experience to know how interchangeable parts are with other GM vehicles.

So I guess the question becomes: If I get another Saturn - especially a newer one (currently have a 99 with 170k) - will there be parts easily available in a few years should I need to work on it?

It may be a legitimate solution for the next few years. I am just wary about buying a brand that is being phased out and not invested in anymore, ya know?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dah97765's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dah97765 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dah97765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

in no particular order:

1. Ford
2. VW (only for the TDI)
3. G.M. (used ones; they won't ever get a "cent" out of me for a new one)
4. Toyota (mostly for a column shifted Avalon)

...that's about it.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #7
Timguy1008
Timguy1008 is on a distinguished road

I'm also in the same exact situation. I have a 2000 SL1 with about 82k miles on it. I plan to give it to my cousin as her first car this year. Therefore, I'll be in the market for a new (NEW) car.

I've heard good things about the Mazda 3 and Ford Fusion.

Any advice?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Timguy1008's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Timguy1008 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Timguy1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #8
cavalier
cavalier is on a distinguished road

If I had to buy a new car today.....definitely the Nissan Altima.

Drove one while me Saturn LS1 was in the shop for a timing chain replacement and was amazed and...as much as I love my car....didn't want to return the Altima.

I also like the Ford Fusion (which I never drove) but there are lots of reports of transmission problems with those.

The Mazda 6 is also a sweet-looking ride that seems to get rave reviews at www.carsurvey.org

Also looking forward to seeing the new Ford Focus that's coming out later this year. Looks great in photos taken at various auto shows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cavalier's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cavalier reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #9
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

I got a 2011 Ford Fiesta. 5-door SES. 5-speed manual.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:17 AM   #10
redkees@msn.com
redkees@msn.com is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
2008 AURA XE

I bought a used Buick LaCrosse 2006. I still have my Saturn Vue. If I run across another used S-series I might buy it.
If you can find a good used Saturn go for it. If you see a good used Buick LaCrosse check it out--great car, comfy ride, strong engine with punch.

Previously Owned 98 SL2, Sold
98 SL, Sold
When your Saturn is well kept YOU are well kept.

Second Car: Buick LaCrosse 2006

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redkees@msn.com's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redkees@msn.com reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redkees@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
Kaervak
Kaervak has a spectacular aura aboutKaervak has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

In my personal order:

Subaru
Ford
Honda

None of the other brands have anything that excite me. There is hope for Chrysler since FIAT is bringing the 500 over here at some point but if I were in the market today, they're not an option.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #12
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Chevrolet
Ford
Kia
Hyundai
Mazda

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #13
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

My next vehicle will be another small or mid-sized sedan/wagon/hatch with a manual transmission. Leading the short list of candidates is the VW GTI/Jetta GLI or TDI models. Next in line is the Buick Verano, if a manual model appears during the next nine months or so. A distant third is Ford's Fusion.

I don't like the Cruze's looks, engine choices or name. The Focus, while distinctively styled, carries too little hp for me. The Golf R will be out of my price range and sold in limited numbers while the Scirocco is not offered in NA, sadly. The Regal is too porky and also too $$$$, IMO.

I like the Verano's styling and I like the continuity factor of remaining with the Delta platform and that the Verano will offer the 2.4 engine. I'm not much taken with the name, however. Skylark, Skyhawk or Bengal would have been better choices.

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #14
wei_
wei_ is on a distinguished road

My shortlist:
Subaru Impreza WRX
VW Golf
Ford Focus/Mazda 3 5-doors

... translation, compact hatchbacks (miss our SW2)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wei_'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wei_ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #15
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethys View Post
I don't like the Cruze's looks, engine choices or name. The Focus, while distinctively styled, carries too little hp for me.
160HP is not enough? (Focus)
I love how the Cruze looks
My opinion on the new Focus will be mostly based on how the My Ford interface works for me. I'll either love it or hate it. I think the car itself will be secondary

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #16
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
My opinion on the new Focus will be mostly based on how the My Ford interface works for me. I'll either love it or hate it. I think the car itself will be secondary
So...you gonna buy one next week,david?...

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #17
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle bik View Post
So...you gonna buy one next week,david?...
No, finances won't cooperate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #18
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethys View Post
My next vehicle will be another small or mid-sized sedan/wagon/hatch with a manual transmission. Leading the short list of candidates is the VW GTI/Jetta GLI or TDI models. Next in line is the Buick Verano, if a manual model appears during the next nine months or so. A distant third is Ford's Fusion.

I don't like the Cruze's looks, engine choices or name. The Focus, while distinctively styled, carries too little hp for me. The Golf R will be out of my price range and sold in limited numbers while the Scirocco is not offered in NA, sadly. The Regal is too porky and also too $$$$, IMO.

I like the Verano's styling and I like the continuity factor of remaining with the Delta platform and that the Verano will offer the 2.4 engine. I'm not much taken with the name, however. Skylark, Skyhawk or Bengal would have been better choices.
Bengal too close to Bungle, Tethys.... Have to agree with you about the 1.8 in the Cruze: yester-tech compared to the Eco. Isn't this the same engine used in the Astra : timing belt, fussier maintenance schedule, etc ?

Adventureoflink: I am with you on something with a column shift. Side benefit: no frigging console. I wouldn't miss that stupid POS crowding my leg and stealing room in the ION, that's one thing I wouldn't miss at all.

My ION only has 47,000 miles. There won't be a need for anything "new" for many years to come and the drivetrain parts used in the Delta platform cars will be plentiful for ages yet.

Next one would be something along the lines of an HHR, Caliber/Patriot, or some right size actual mini again minivan. Used. Done with debt. Cash only spoken here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #19
Droth
Droth is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

I'd love a new pickup. I really like the Chevy Silverados. They have grown on me a lot in the past year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Droth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Droth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Droth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #20
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

Davidsky,

Our local PR flak-turned-"automotive writer" in the daily newspaper here made it sound like the Focus only has a 120-hp engine. Not being well-versed in Ford's current offerings, I took him at his word. That's why I wrote it carried too little hp for me. I'll do further investigating and perhaps the Focus will replace the Fusion on my list if gas prices climb above $4/gallon and remain there when it's time for me to replace the Ion.

Thanks for the tip.

Citation, it probably is the same engines as were supplied in the Astra; the hp and torque numbers look identical or nearly so. Also, this engine was one of two (IIRC) offered in the European Astra that mates to an automatic transmission, which was a prime reason GM brought it to the States.

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote