SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
Sliverstreak02
Sliverstreak02 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
Default Converting rear drum brakes to disc brakes

Does anyone or has anyone out there converted their rear drum brakes to a disc brake system in the rear? I was just wondering cause a buddy of mine, we were sitting at show this weekend coming up with ideas to do to my Redline.
Also has anyone upgraded their brakes systems to better system like brembo brake package?

2005 Saturn Vue Redline Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sliverstreak02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sliverstreak02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sliverstreak02 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Converting rear drum brakes to disc brakes

SSBC makes one. It's like $800 for the conversion. They also make a BBK.

it's highly likely that you could make the rear discs from a newer Equinox fit and work no problems. The only possible issue that could arise is mounting the caliper. There might be a mount point, there might not. Nobody knows for sure. At worst, you might have to fab up a bracket to hold it. At best, there's a mounting point for it already. Nobody's ever bothered to really try it.

You can swap rotors and pads though, a lot of people have done that. But if you want more pistons and bigger rotors and calipers... not much out there for that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
newbievueowner
newbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the rough

2006 VUE Red Line

Have a look at the Equinox. I saw one the other day that had disk brakes (factory). Maybe get the package from a wrecker and put in on the Vue. The front brakes do 75% of the braking anyway.

Saturn Vue: The 250 HP tupperware

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to newbievueowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help newbievueowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
newbievueowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
Sliverstreak02

2005 VUE Red Line

Thank you for you thoughts so far. I going to check into all that and also check with my mechanic to see they are able to do such a job and the cost. Thankful with no warrenty on my Redline vue I can do whatever I want with out worrying affecting my warrenty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Sliverstreak02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2010, 11:15 PM   #5
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/SSB...A160_4/565047/

Warning... I've heard that people have had problems with their emergency brakes not working well enough after conversions.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
Venomized
Venomized is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

The question is why?

As stated already, almost all the braking is done by the front so converting the rears to disc is not the best bang for your buck application.

It is not like the rear drums wear very much either. I have 95K miles on mine with the original rear brakes. Mechanic was in there last weekend to change an ABS wheel sensor and said the shoes are still in good shape as well.

06 Vue AWD V6
01 Grand Cherokee
05 Gulfstream Conquest 28 foot class C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Venomized's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Venomized reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Venomized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
Sliverstreak02

2005 VUE Red Line

Mainly I was just wondering, I see all vehicles coming out with 4 wheel disc brakes. Plus I like the look of disc brakes of drum brakes. If going to possible cause large issue in the future it is not worth it.

2005 Saturn Vue Redline 8000k HID 9006, Pioneer 4000DVD raido w/ipod connection, carbon fiber tail lights, black out saturn emblems
Mid Atlantic Customs
Co-owner James G. Benn Jr

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
D C
D C is on a distinguished road

If you consider altering your ABS performance (probably not for the better) to be a "large issue" then I would definitely consider it one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to D C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help D C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
D C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #9
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

I don't see how changing to rear discs is going to screw up your ABS performance. The ABS sensors are going to detect wheel lock, and the rear discs likely aren't going to have a huge amount of grab to lock the rear wheels up anyways.

Is this a great performance mod? Probably not. But it does fix GM's obsession with uber cost cutting on a model that most DEFINITELY should not have had this setup in the first place. Then again, considering that it's a cheap vehicle, its not surprising nobody has tried it yet. Purely visual gains, the SSBC kits aren't exactly cheap, and the 'nox retrofit is uncharted territory, so there's risk of it not working or being a royal PITA. If one were to make it work, I doubt it'd cause any issues though. There's a few people who have SSBC kits on their Vues with no problems, so a 'nox retrofit should be the same way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:50 PM   #10
Vue2Tow
Vue2Tow is on a distinguished road

Default Converting rear drum brakes to disc brakes-due to SHUDDER

I wanted to know the same think BECAUSE my 2006 Vue (not Redline) V6 AWD has a real Brake Shudder in the front, after new pads and rotors. Not all the time, but definately under load down hill. Anyone know why? I have checked several Blogs, but got no real answers. It is NOT the lines, ABS System, Not sensors, etc.

It is like the old "torque Steering" with the front wheels wobbbeling back and forth, but caused by braking. not acceleration.

Any ideas??? I was thinking about putting a high priced kit on the fronts with new calipers, and all to see if was the FIX.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue2Tow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue2Tow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue2Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #11
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Converting rear drum brakes to disc brakes-due to SHUDDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vue2Tow View Post
I wanted to know the same think BECAUSE my 2006 Vue (not Redline) V6 AWD has a real Brake Shudder in the front, after new pads and rotors. Not all the time, but definately under load down hill. Anyone know why? I have checked several Blogs, but got no real answers. It is NOT the lines, ABS System, Not sensors, etc.

It is like the old "torque Steering" with the front wheels wobbbeling back and forth, but caused by braking. not acceleration.

Any ideas??? I was thinking about putting a high priced kit on the fronts with new calipers, and all to see if was the FIX.
The shudder could be due to an excessively inconsistent brake rotor material. This means that metal at one part of the rotor may absorb/dissipate heat at a slightly different rate than the metal at another place on the same rotor within the pad contact area because the metal itself is slightly different. The effect is more noticeable during hard braking when rotor temps are higher. This is one of the major non-visible differences between an "economy" rotor and a "premium" rotor. The premium rotors are made with better metallic consistency which in turn yields more consistent braking.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 195K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 47K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:25 AM   #12
reyrotor
reyrotor is on a distinguished road

Hey guys I've done the rear disk on a vue.....the 07 Chevy equinox complete subframe was a direct bolt on . I had it on my fwd 5peed vue and I'm going to be swapping it in to a redline just waiting on the equinox Axels because the end toward the disk brakes do change

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to reyrotor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help reyrotor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
reyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:50 AM   #13
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Converting rear drum brakes to disc brakes-due to SHUDDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vue2Tow View Post
real Brake Shudder in the front.
get new pins and Silglyd ,or something like that, silicone brake grease for them. THrow away the old pins- .

get two sets- for bothcalipers

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...06&make=Saturn

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:23 AM   #14
04RDLN
04RDLN is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

any idea if the rear disk brakes from the caddy will work since they also share the same platform?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2241358

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04RDLN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04RDLN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
04RDLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:45 PM   #15
ebenditt
ebenditt is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I was looking at this for a future project and wanted to know if anyone actually was able to fix the nox on to the rear or not. I know this thread is old but can any said if this worked out?

This is the conversion kit I think they were talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/SSBC-A160-4-Re...art/B001EEW60S

Saturn Vue 3.5L v6 FWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ebenditt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ebenditt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ebenditt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:23 PM   #16
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebenditt View Post
I was looking at this for a future project and wanted to know if anyone actually was able to fix the nox on to the rear or not. I know this thread is old but can any said if this worked out?

This is the conversion kit I think they were talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/SSBC-A160-4-Re...art/B001EEW60S
Holy crap that's expensive..

Just hit a u-pull type junkyard for calipers, parts store for pads and rotors.. I never even had to convert lines on mine.. just remove old crappy drum stuff and install caliper brakes and calipers and call it a day.

Sub $100 job probably?

sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2Sick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2Sick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:56 PM   #17
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2Sick View Post
Holy crap that's expensive..

Just hit a u-pull type junkyard for calipers, parts store for pads and rotors.. I never even had to convert lines on mine.. just remove old crappy drum stuff and install caliper brakes and calipers and call it a day.

Sub $100 job probably?
I think you need to swap over the whole rear suspension from an Equinox or Torrent- not just calipers

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:10 PM   #18
Ls1 saturn
Ls1 saturn is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Red Line

Hmmmm

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206964

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ls1 saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ls1 saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ls1 saturn is offline   Reply With Quote