SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
deacon20
deacon20 is on a distinguished road

Default Coolant Issue

My coolant light flashed on and off and the coolant level looked low so I added coolant and now the car gets into the red in a hurry and is overheating. Previous to adding coolant I did not have any issues. Any suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to deacon20's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help deacon20 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
deacon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: Coolant Issue

Year/Make/Model of your car?

sounds like it could either be the water pump going sour, or the infamous chocolate milkshake in the coolant.

In any case, get a pressure or UV test done on your car.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
deacon20

It is a 99 Saturn SL2. Thanks for the help. The coolant I added is about 2 years old. Could that be a factor?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help deacon20 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon20 View Post
It is a 99 Saturn SL2. Thanks for the help. The coolant I added is about 2 years old. Could that be a factor?
I dunno... usually coolant is good for up to five years (dunno about shelf life though).

Elephant in the room: you DID make sure your serpentine belt is on nice and tight, without any cracks in it, right? without the S-belt, the engine will overheat quickly (in about three minutes or so) due to the water pump not turning.

Also, when was the last time you flushed your coolant? (Redundant I know, since you're losing coolant somehow, so yeah still get a pressure or UV test done. Somehow I still suspect the water pump is going bad though.)

Also, you should replace the ECTS if you haven't done so (although even if everything besides this sensor was working, it wouldn't overheat quickly). Instructions are in the how-to library.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
deacon20

Thanks for the help. Probably been 50,000 miles since coolant was flushed. My fault on that one. Will look into the water pump and belt issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2010, 02:06 AM   #6
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

It would be a good idea to get the car up to temp and look for any leaks. The coolant is low for a reason.

If the water pump is going that will cause excess heat, and if the thermostat is going or gone that could cause the same. The excess heat will often cause a leak due to the higher pressures of that heat.

Check the upper part of the radiator inlet side below the hose really well when it's hot. The radiators are subject to cracking in that area.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote