SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
Matt4572
Matt4572 is on a distinguished road

Default Another Coolant Issue

After browsing the forums for some time now and finding some great information, I am still at a loss on an issue I have with a coolant leak.

After experiencing a constant but small leak of coolant under my 1998 SC2 1.9L, I had started putting water in the radiator to keep it full due to a lack in funding to fix the problem right away or to even keep purchasing coolant. After about 1 week of running the car with only water (in very cold weather conditions), the leak then started to pour out, not holding any water what so ever.

I then replaced the water pump... which was bad, and the thermostat. Thinking that this was the cause of the leak, I was hoping all would be ok. It seems that maybe the initial leak may have been from the water pump, but now the leak was pouring from a different location.

It seems the leak is coming from the head, near the exhaust manifold. It may even be leaking from the engine right before the coolant hits the thermostat. I am hoping this is not a crack in the head due to the car running really hot on a few occasions due to the lack of coolant or maybe even due to water freezing in the system, but maybe just a gasket that needs to be replaced. Has anyone had this issue? Any insight on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Matt4572's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Matt4572 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Matt4572 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
92SC2
Advanced Member
92SC2 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Another Coolant Issue

Anti-freeze lowers the freezing point of your coolant in addition to helping aid in its boiling point.

You may have a cracked block or T-stat housing due to having just water in your system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 92SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 92SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
92SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2
Default Re: Another Coolant Issue

I agree with 92SC2.. You really have to narrow down where the leak is coming from. All people here can do is speculate unless you find the problem. If it indeed is coming from the head area, its a lot of work, and a new (used) engine might be your best bet.. If it's something else, probably not too hard. If your climate goes below freezing even at all, you cannot use 100% water period, or there will be consequences.

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote