SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
saturn of cary -Jill
saturn of cary -Jill is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default The parts, service and warranty question

Hi All,
I noticed that there is some concern about being able to get parts for and service on your present and future Saturn vehicles. Here is the official word on that from Mark LaNeve;
General Motors Corporation
100 Renaissance Center
Detroit, MI 48265
Vehicle Warranty
Statement: GM vehicle warranty coverage is safe and sound, and GM
dealerships remain open for sales and service. GM values its customers
and we appreciate their loyalty. We are more committed than ever to
making every car and truck we build a winner and to providing the best
ownership experience in the industry.
What happens to my warranty as you restructure?
Absolutely nothing. There is no change to the warranty. General Motors
would like its millions of current and future customers to know one
thing: GM's warranty coverage is absolutely safe and sound, now and
well into the future, no matter what the GM make or model. The quality
of our products is the bedrock of our business. GM has been in business
for 100 years and we’re planning to be in business for the next 100 years
and beyond. We've always taken care of our customers and stood
behind our products -- and we will continue to do so.
As a reminder, current and new GM customers should know the
following about our vehicle warranty coverage (*except Saab, see section
related to Saab):

. GM offers 100,000 Mile / 5 Year Powertrain Limited Warranty,
which we believe is the industry's best overall coverage.
. There are no fees and no deductibles.
. The warranty is transferable from owner to owner.
. GM's warranty covers more than 900 parts, which is more than
any manufacturer.
. In addition to the warranty, our coverage includes roadside
assistance and courtesy vehicle transportation.

*Saab customers are unaffected and current Saab products are unaffected: Saab warranties for both new and certified used
are still valid, with full GM backing. Saab products still offer the progressive design, good fuel efficiency and excellent
performance that they always have. Saab has had several different types of ownership arrangements during its history -- as a
stand-alone company, partially-owned by GM and fully-owned by GM. Now, it is using the reorganization process under
Swedish law to see if it can become a viable, independent company.

Cheers,
Jill

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn of cary -Jill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn of cary -Jill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn of cary -Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
NotSaturnSales1
NotSaturnSales1 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: The parts, service and warranty question

Jill, do you have any official info on the policy regarding Saturn warranty work by chevy dealers. As you may have read on here there seems to be different answers from different people. As far as I know nobody has clearly posted what the policy is and it might be a help to numerous members if that kind of thing could be published here on Charlie's site.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NotSaturnSales1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NotSaturnSales1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NotSaturnSales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
saturn of cary -Jill

2006 VUE 3.5L

Good question, and good to ask for clarification. I do not have that information in the format of what I have posted. I know there is to be a follow up document concerning Saturn, and I will pass that on when the powers that be tell me I can.
Cheers,
Jill

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturn of cary -Jill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-29-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

starting last fall all gm dealers can do warranty work on saturns and visa versa. many gm dealers look at saturn as an odd duck and may not understand that they can do this or they may not want to but they can.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
eelfliw
eelfliw is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XE
2002 SL

Thanks for the great info, Jill from Saturn of Cary.

There's a lot of talk (including an email from Saturn stating that GM is working with Saturn to form a new independent distribution company.) My main concern is how independent is the new company?

As I said in my previous postings, I've no doubt that GM will weather the current financial storm (I believe Obama will not let Ford become a monopoly nor allow a privately owned auto company be the only competitor to Ford). And I firmly believe Saturn will re-emerge in one form or another. There is a lot of goodwill with the Saturn name as Saturn has built a loyal following with its original "different kind of car company" philosophy. Customers are willing to commit their hard earned money to Saturn products repeatedly as long as Saturn remains committed to customers by backing its products. The catch is that Saturn has to have a business model that works and that includes being sized right or nimble enough to have business costs that match or can quickly adjust to match current market conditions. This means closing dealerships and factories are inevitable and part of the business operations. But as long as customer commitment is there (eg. warranty, parts availability for 10 years, etc.), Saturn will have customers.

It with that belief that I stepped into a Saturn dealer last week to begin the search for a replacement for my tired current Saturn despite all the uncertainties (2 local Saturn dealerships closed, a third one with relatively low inventory). I will be taking a leap of faith. I just hope Saturn's new drive for independence will not leave its customers hanging.

PS. I used to have an Alfa Romeo in the '80s. When Alfa decided to exit the North American market, my local Lamborghini dealer picked up the responsibility for warranty work and parts supply. The service dept at the Lambo dealer was an experience. Of course, I didn't get any loaner cars. But service and parts availability deteriorated badly in a short time and eventually I had to get rid of the Alfa at a great loss. I hope Saturn does not turn out the same.

Last edited by eelfliw; 03-29-2009 at 09:21 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eelfliw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eelfliw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eelfliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:28 AM   #6
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSaturnSales1 View Post
Jill, do you have any official info on the policy regarding Saturn warranty work by chevy dealers. As you may have read on here there seems to be different answers from different people. As far as I know nobody has clearly posted what the policy is and it might be a help to numerous members if that kind of thing could be published here on Charlie's site.
This is posted on Oldsmobile.com-

How will GM honor the warranty on my vehicle.

Under the General Motors warranty, repairs may be performed at any GM dealership in an emergency situation. GM will assist you in making arrangements for customer service if necessary.

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:02 AM   #7
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
starting last fall all gm dealers can do warranty work on saturns and visa versa. many gm dealers look at saturn as an odd duck and may not understand that they can do this or they may not want to but they can.
This is not completely accurate, at least as Saturn is actually stating it to their customers.

As of March 2009, when I called the Saturn customer center regarding warranty service on my Aura, I was told that it needed to be performed at a Saturn dealer. When I asked about taking it to my local Chevy dealer as a hardship (save me an hour's drive), she told me that I could take my Saturn to a Chevy dealer for them to "look at it", but they could NOT actually perform the warranty work, for that, I would still need to go to a Saturn dealer.

This was most unhelpful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:48 AM   #8
L55
L55 is on a distinguished road

Jill your memo from GM does not address the big issue surrounding Saturn. Where to go for warranty work if my nearby Saturn store has closed. I know somebody who called their Chevy store (four blocks away) and asked about warranty work on their Saturn. They were told..sorry..we don't do warranty work on Saturns. The nearest Saturn dealer is an hour away.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L55's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L55 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #9
saturn of cary -Jill

2006 VUE 3.5L

I hear you 55, but that is the only official communication I have received. If anything else is released I will pass it on soonest! Pinkie promise!!!
Cheers,
Jill

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #10
steadler
steadler is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I was just informed that the local chevy dealer will do all the work needed
on my aura including warranty and recalls.

2008 AURA XE 3.5
TECHO GRAY
mfg june '08

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steadler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steadler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #11
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

saturn customer center is wrong. surprise? as of last fall any gm dealer can do saturn work

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #12
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
saturn customer center is wrong. surprise? as of last fall any gm dealer can do saturn work
Yes, and when I advised these people of warranty service info on web to contrary, they informed me that they have the "latest" information. Seems that they must have fired the guy who provides internal communication to the Saturn customer center. If there is no internal communication path within Saturn for such things, maybe Jill can inform her people via a press release?

... and we wonder why Saturn & GM are failing??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #13
L55

Well I guess Chevy didn't get the memo either. I spoke to a Chevy service manager last week who said they wouldn't do warranty work on a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L55's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L55 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2009, 04:04 PM   #14
eelfliw
eelfliw is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XE
2002 SL

As the kids would say ... "epic phail".

This colossal blunder in mis-communications is what scares customers away.

The government can promise all they want in backing GM warranties if GM declares chapter 11 or even chapter 7. But if there are no convenient dealers out there to service the vehicles, the government's backing means absolutely nothing. Who wants to deliver their vehicle to a "national service center" located 2000 miles away to get warranty service? One reason to purchase GM product is that there are parts & service centers located close by to everyone. If the service ctr network is small, I might as well buy a fleet of 15 Tatas instead of 1 Outlook because if the Tata breaks, I switch to the next Tata while the first one gets UPS'd to the service center. Whereas if the Outlook breaks, there's no one around to fix it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eelfliw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eelfliw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eelfliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #15
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by L55 View Post
Well I guess Chevy didn't get the memo either. I spoke to a Chevy service manager last week who said they wouldn't do warranty work on a Saturn.
It all depends on the particular Chevy dealer that you ask and if they want to participate. Our local Chevy, BPG dealers are more than happy to get paid for doing warranty work on a Saturn. We own two Chevy dealerships who wil do Saturn warranty work and the three other GM shops in town also come to us for parts so they can perform warranty service at their own shops. So, it all depends on who you ask and if they wish to participate.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #16
L55

So its left to the poor Saturn customer to get on the phone and canvas other GM dealers...beautiful! That's going to create a ton of customer goodwill and positive word of mouth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L55's Reputation
Old 04-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #17
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by L55 View Post
So its left to the poor Saturn customer to get on the phone and canvas other GM dealers...beautiful! That's going to create a ton of customer goodwill and positive word of mouth.
Not sure what you are saying?. Should Saturn dealers or other GM dealers provide a list? LOL.

I personally think it would be bad PR for any GM dealership that does not honor a Saturn warranty, especially in a multi-brand GM family like mine. Being my family is both Silverado owners and Saturn owners, if our local Chevy shop ever refused warranty work on our Saturns they would lose our business completely. Luckily they know how to and will do warranty work.

The great news is other than the Astra, an Ecotec is an ecotec and a GM V6 is a GM V6, so it's not like a Chevy or BPG shop has to learn anything new. I have watched some of the tech trainings and many cover all makes and models across the GM board.

I am not sure how Saturn owners will find out which alt-GM stores will participate though other than the obvious - ask. Personally I think more Chevy dealers will get with the program soon though.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

Last edited by marx404; 04-08-2009 at 06:31 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #18
L55

No...GM should adopt a cross board policy at all dealers or none at all. The customers shouldn't be left having to track down a dealer who will service a $25,000 purchase. Anyone who can't understand that from a business and customer service standpoint is a complete moron.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L55's Reputation
Old 04-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #19
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

all gm dealers can do the work. its a change and some dont like to change. the chevy service manager is throwing away money not doing it. i have heard of that happening but it is hard to understand why.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!