SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
DJCannon5
DJCannon5 is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1
2007 ION-1 Sedan
Default 1995 Good year or Bad year for S Series

Is 1995 a bad year for S Series. my logic being it has emissions and still uses OBDI. Seems like it falls at a turning point for the S. Would be nice to have an S Series with no emissions and OBDII.

"1995 SL2 Manual" Red
"1995 SC1 Manual" White
"2007 Ion-1 Automatic" Midnight Blue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DJCannon5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DJCannon5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DJCannon5 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Default Re: 1995 Good year or Bad year for S Series

The 1995 is a mix of both worlds....the 95 model year is the 1st gen exterior and the 2nd interior. 95 Model year also went to MPFI (Multi Port Fuel Injection), which hadn't previous been around. 95 model year also moves from vaccuum powered EGR to Electronic EGR valve operated by servo motors.

These are the main things I can think of off the top of my head.

If you are looking for OBD II engine, I would go for 96 model year, but that is the year that the 96 model year went to the 2nd gen exterior as well.

Really is your call

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

im sure this is a dumb question but why would you care if its ob1 or ob2?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCannon5 View Post
.... Would be nice to have an S Series with no emissions and OBDII.
Not sure what you mean as every USA car since the '70's uses one form or another of emissions controls with continuous improvements along the way to what we have now; before and after O2 sensors on each end of the catcon with closed loop engine management running emissions controls while still allowing Corvette muscle car power. There isn't a car that's imported that doesn't have emissions controls unless it was brought in illegally. Every OBD II car runs the latest emissions controls.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
DJCannon5
DJCannon5 is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1
2007 ION-1 Sedan

Someone outside the forum must have thrown me off. They told me the 93s ran faster because of slacker emissions standards.

As for OBDI I was told its harder to find tuners for it and they are not as good.

I am trying to find out info outside of forums on how people tune with the OBDI's I heard that the parameters are so open its pointless. If i am misinformed or not understanding whats going please feel free to correct any wrong ideas I have.

If OBDI is as good as OBDII and the emissions on a 1995 arent a hp killer Id love to hear that since I already went and bought another 1995 S Series.

"1995 SL2 Manual" Red
"1995 SC1 Manual" White
"2007 Ion-1 Automatic" Midnight Blue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DJCannon5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DJCannon5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DJCannon5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #6
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

MY '95 has performed well overall, with no unusual issues or problems.

OBDII provides more potentially useful diagnostic information than OBDI.

If deciding whether or not to get the car, I suggest you let other factors related to the condition of the car drive weigh more heavily in your decision than just the model year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
95 Model year also went to MPFI (Multi Port Fuel Injection), which hadn't previous been around. 95 model year also moves from vaccuum powered EGR to Electronic EGR valve operated by servo motors.
This only applies to SOHC engines. DOHC's were always MPFI. And 1994 California emissions DOHC's had the electronic EGR valve too.

Quote:
If you are looking for OBD II engine, I would go for 96 model year, but that is the year that the 96 model year went to the 2nd gen exterior as well.
There is no such thing as an OBDI or OBDII engine. OBD is in the programming in the PCM. The engine doesnt care what PCM is controlling it. 1993-2002 engines are cross swappable. There wil run perfectly and pass emissions. There is very little difference between 1993-2002 engines. And the only difference in the 91/92 years is a slightly different crank.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Someone outside the forum must have thrown me off. They told me the 93s ran faster because of slacker emissions standards.
Untrue

Quote:
As for OBDI I was told its harder to find tuners for it and they are not as good.
Untrue

Quote:
I am trying to find out info outside of forums on how people tune with the OBDI's I heard that the parameters are so open its pointless. If i am misinformed or not understanding whats going please feel free to correct any wrong ideas I have.
You can do the same stuff on a OBDII controlled S-Series as you can on an OBDI.

Quote:
If OBDI is as good as OBDII and the emissions on a 1995 arent a hp killer Id love to hear that since I already went and bought another 1995 S Series.
If you're getting a DOHC, HP was the same every year they were produced.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
This only applies to SOHC engines. DOHC's were always MPFI. And 1994 California emissions DOHC's had the electronic EGR valve too.

There is no such thing as an OBDI or OBDII engine. OBD is in the programming in the PCM. The engine doesnt care what PCM is controlling it. 1993-2002 engines are cross swappable. There wil run perfectly and pass emissions. There is very little difference between 1993-2002 engines. And the only difference in the 91/92 years is a slightly different crank.
I meant to say that the 95 was OBD II PCM...not sure why I threw the Engine thing in there.

Sometimes I get carried away when I respond....

My 94 SL2 has a vacuum powered EGR valve (I'm in Ohio). I guess that is ONLY for 94California cars, that they have the electronic EGR valve?

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #10
Low Saturn

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
I meant to say that the 95 was OBD II PCM...not sure why I threw the Engine thing in there.
1995 is OBDI

Quote:
Sometimes I get carried away when I respond....
We all do it from time to time.

Quote:
I guess that is ONLY for 94California cars, that they have the electronic EGR valve?
Yep, California emissions DOHC have the electronc EGR valve. Thats how I get all those EGR adaptor plates I sell.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-13-2009, 03:30 AM   #11
saturnsl293
Advanced Member
saturnsl293 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

I know Gm was playing around with obd2 in some 94 and 95 vehicles but I think they were mostly S-10s (or at least some were as I went to school with someone who had a 95 S-10 with obd2) but they have a different connector then the universal connectors all cars have now so an adapter is needed for those selected vehicles as I think they have a different pin order and plug

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsl293's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsl293 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsl293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:05 PM   #12
purepwrSL2
purepwrSL2 is on a distinguished road

My 94 SL2 has a vacuum powered EGR valve (I'm in Ohio). I guess that is ONLY for 94California cars, that they have the electronic EGR valve?[/QUOTE]

I have 94 SL2 that has electronic EGR valve as of California emissions I bought in 1993 (November that time) in NY state ! Those DOHC 94 SL's with electronic EGR sells In California, NY and Mass. Not sure in other states as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to purepwrSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help purepwrSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
purepwrSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote