SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
smailmanstn
smailmanstn is on a distinguished road

Default Cruise/Transmission update for '08 Vue

Even though I've had my Vue since January, I, like others have complained about the cruise/gear hunting issue. I have the XE 4 cyl. FWD. I'm satisfied with the vehicle, even with the poorly designed cruise, which I considered useless.

Note that my Vue was an earlier production model (Manufactured 10/07), so later models may already be updated, but I'll pass this along anyway, in case it helps.

I asked my local Saturn service department, if anything could be done about the flaky cruise. The local service advisor ( a pretty decent guy, by the way) told me to bring it in one day to have it checked out. Yesterday was that day.

After checking it out, there IS a transmission update!

The only problem with installing it was that the vehicle's computer had communication problems, so the local service guys had to call GM Tech support. I own a Scangauge, so I was concerned that it might have messed up the computer, as it seems to block the monthly Onstar diagnostic email check. My service advisor reassued me that he didn't think that was the problem, that he'd seen this problem occasionally, and that he was sure it would be solved with the right steps.

So he had to keep the car most of the day. The dealership issued me a loan vehicle. Later that day, he called to tell me the update was successful. The scangauge is fine, and the vehicle accepted the new update.

So, I took it out for a road test. How's it working? Not perfect, but MUCH improved! It's now usuable. It still gear hunts some, but in a much smoother way, less intrusive, and seems to hold the speed solidly.

I drove it here in the flats, at varying speeds up to 75MPH, and seemed to hold solid for the most part, with and into the wind. Then I took it into some hilly terrain, and it geared down up the steeper slopes, but without the severity it did before. Also, the MPG is better than before ( but of course, not as well as you'd hope, gently driving it manually still ups the MPG significantly).

Bottom line: Not perfect, but drastic improvement; not 'smooth as silk', but now usable instead of useless. I'm now completely satisfied!

A byproduct of the upgrade seems to be improved acceleration and less sluggishness from a stop-noticeable when merging into rush-hour traffic on the local freeway.

If you check out this upgrade for yourself, if your dealership doesn't claim to know about this, you might want them to call the service department of Saturn of Fargo in Fargo, ND. as (701) 281-9165. Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smailmanstn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smailmanstn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
smailmanstn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2008, 10:55 PM   #2
Brad LeBosse
Brad LeBosse is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
Default Re: Cruise/Transmission update for '08 Vue

Thanks for this post. I will bring mine in and see if it also helps with the delay in down shifting I am experiencing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brad LeBosse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Brad LeBosse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Brad LeBosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
Warren
Warren is on a distinguished road

Do you know if the update applies to V6s. While perhaps not as bad as the 4 cylinder Vues, the transmission on the V6s (mine is the 3.6) also does a lot of "searching".
Thanks for your post.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Warren's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Warren reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by smailmanstn View Post
The only problem with installing it was that the vehicle's computer had communication problems, so the local service guys had to call GM Tech support. I own a Scangauge, so I was concerned that it might have messed up the computer, as it seems to block the monthly Onstar diagnostic email check. My service advisor reassured me that he didn't think that was the problem, that he'd seen this problem occasionally, and that he was sure it would be solved with the right steps.
My OnStar communicates at least weekly with Big Brother. It has to send your mileage and diagnostic data for the email report. They graph your weekly driving averages on their web site. Log onto OnStar's website and look at all the data they've been collecting.

My VUE's radio always goes to the last preset on the radio after OnStar polls my VUE. Let's me know they've been talking. I keep the last preset on a country FM radio station.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:52 PM   #5
Brad LeBosse
Brad LeBosse is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

I brought my VUE in for the transmission reprogramming and I can not believe how dramatic the power improvement is. Saturn should perform this upgrade on every Vue that is brought in for service. That will make for a lot of happy customers. Most people will likely just think that the VUE was intended to perform as originally programmed, but I suspect that it was a fuel saving algorithm that was set up at the factory. The new update make the VUE so much more fun to drive. Just amazing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brad LeBosse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Brad LeBosse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Brad LeBosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #6
saturnd00d
saturnd00d will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 2.4L

Guess I'll be bringing mine in soon as well. Thanks for the tip on this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnd00d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnd00d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnd00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:05 AM   #7
Bunshaw
Bunshaw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad LeBosse View Post
I brought my VUE in for the transmission reprogramming and I can not believe how dramatic the power improvement is. Saturn should perform this upgrade on every Vue that is brought in for service. That will make for a lot of happy customers. Most people will likely just think that the VUE was intended to perform as originally programmed, but I suspect that it was a fuel saving algorithm that was set up at the factory. The new update make the VUE so much more fun to drive. Just amazing.
Have you noticed if it affects mileage any? The increase in power should knock the 2.4L average down a mpg or two.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bunshaw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bunshaw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bunshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:56 AM   #8
saturnd00d
saturnd00d will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 2.4L

Maybe not though, Bunshaw. If the Vue has more usable powerband, wouldn't it cause the transmission to shift less on uphill climbs? In theory, I think it would be a bit better for mileage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnd00d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnd00d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnd00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:21 PM   #9
Bunshaw
Bunshaw is on a distinguished road

As with most things regarding mileage I'm sure it depends on terrain, driver, etc. My thinking was that the increase in power also brought with it more eagerness to downshift and therefore overall higher rpm's. The Vue may have been gear-hunting on some inclines but that reluctance to downshift and trying to hold the highest gear possible typically increases mileage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bunshaw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bunshaw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bunshaw is offline   Reply With Quote