SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #1
3500srw
3500srw is on a distinguished road

1999 SL
Default Coolant temp sensor?

Expanded from the previous post titled "P0304 has me confused?"

I unplugged my ECTS connector to check for a resin tip and the tip of the sensor is a greenish/brown color. I thought mine was all brass, it is not. The replacements I found have plastic tips (electrical end) the rest is brass. Are these the correct replacements? I was told all brass on this forum, these are not.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=290&PTSet=A

http://www.autozone.com/R,APP222411/...ductDetail.htm

1999 Saturn SL SOHC, 5 speed, 238000 miles....

Last edited by 3500srw; 06-24-2008 at 01:14 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 3500srw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 3500srw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
3500srw is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Coolant temp sensor?

Yes, the part that gets wet must be all brass. The connector end is plastic. Also, before going nuts when it does not work look at the connector. It should NOT be green or gooey, if it is you have to replace it also. A junk yard connector off of the IAT sensor in the air box will fit and will be clean.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
tarsun
Advanced Member
tarsun is on a distinguished road

wait P0304 is a cyl 4 misfire…. Ya you should replace to sensor but id check the plugs and wires too

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tarsun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tarsun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
Melissa_M
Advanced Member
Melissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

If you look at the photo with the 3 sensors, (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37884 ) the part that goes in the engine should be brass. The other end that receives the wire connector may not be brass. That's OK.

If you look carefully at the photo for a while, you will notice the difference btw the resin/brass tip unit. Jut below the hex they are different shape, and that way you can look at what's on your car without taking the ECTS out. Of course, if your wire connector is corroded...

Melissa_M

1999 SL2 MANUAL ~78K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Melissa_M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Melissa_M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Melissa_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:47 PM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

The TIP (the part that senses) must be brass. The connector end is still plastic. You can't see the tip from outside; it's busy inside, sensing the temperature. But there is an external "hint". Look at BarnOwl's photo of the two sensors: http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...46177/size/big . Just to the left of the hex head, you'll see the brass-tipped sensor has a rounded "shoulder", and the plastic-tipped sensor doesn't. That part of the sensor is visible from outside. If you can peer down there, or use an inspection mirror, you can tell from that little section which kind of sensor is in place.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
3500srw

1999 SL

I was looking at the pics in the how to library. Both links I posted are the correct brass tipped ECTS. There doesn't seem to be a way to know if it has the resin tip unless you actually remove it from the engine. At less than $10, I will be replacing mine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 3500srw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #7
3500srw

1999 SL

I need to type faster

Thanks for pointing out the difference in the shoulder of the sensors. I had to look again. I have the old resin tip style. I will be getting a new sensor.

Thanks to all

Last edited by 3500srw; 06-24-2008 at 01:56 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #8
3500srw

1999 SL

I got my new "copper" tip ECTS installed. The old one has 2 slight cracks on the resin tip and just started to weep into the electrical portion. I caught it just in time, thanks to everyone here. I used some electrical contact cleaner to clean the connector plug really well. I put a small dab of anti-corrosion electrical grease on the plug for good measure!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-26-2008, 11:45 PM   #9
tarsun
Advanced Member
tarsun is on a distinguished road

did it solve the problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tarsun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tarsun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote