SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2009, 08:35 AM   #1
abinder
abinder is on a distinguished road

Default Necessary to use 1st and 3rd?

I have a 98 SL1. Since the shifter bushing went out on my saturn, I've been starting in 2nd gear and then shifting into 4th once up to speed. I was wondering, will it hurt my clutch/transmission/car doing this still when I get the replacement bushing and install it. I was just wondering if this would help with gas mileage as well or would it be more harm than good to my car.

I realize that it won't accelerate as well, but I really don't care about that when I don't have to accelerate fast.

Thanks for any info.

Allen

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to abinder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help abinder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
abinder is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: Necessary to use 1st and 3rd?

If you have half of the fore-aft travel (1-3-5 only or 2-4-R only), then the bushing on the shifter end of the fore-aft cable is NOT the problem. Check under the hood, for the clip that holds the HOUSING (the part of the cable that doesn't move) of the fore-aft cable onto its perch molded into the tranny case. I'll bet it's gone, and the housing end has migrated off that perch. When this happens, but both ends of the cable CORE (the part that moves) are still connected, you'll often get this half-travel effect.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:43 AM   #3
abinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
If you have half of the fore-aft travel (1-3-5 only or 2-4-R only), then the bushing on the shifter end of the fore-aft cable is NOT the problem. Check under the hood, for the clip that holds the HOUSING (the part of the cable that doesn't move) of the fore-aft cable onto its perch molded into the tranny case. I'll bet it's gone, and the housing end has migrated off that perch. When this happens, but both ends of the cable CORE (the part that moves) are still connected, you'll often get this half-travel effect.
Hmmmmm.......guess you mis-understood what I said. I didn't say anything about having half of the fore-aft travel. I was just starting out in 2nd and then shifting to 4th. It's rather hard to keep your hand under the shifter to hold the linkage on the shifter while shifting. Much easier to not shift as much.

The shifter bushing is definitely broken and I've ordered another one.

Thanks for taking time for the info though. It's greatly appreciated.

Allen

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help abinder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-26-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

So, what you didn't say in the first place is that you're driving with the console off, and are moving the fore-aft cable directly with your hand, or are holding it onto the shifter for each shift? And you're just looking to skip some shifts? That sounds even hinkier than what my brother did, decades ago, with his '73 Capri when the shifter broke clean off, and he used a vise-grip as a makeshift (ugh, bad pun) lever. What if you had to shift quickly to respond to an emergency?

Have you tried binding it into place with zip-ties? I know several folks here have gotten by for a short while with such a "fix", combined with gentle shifter action.

As to your original question, you can start in second, but it does add wear to the clutch. If you wind it out far enough, you can skip right to fourth, but again, driving conditions don't always favor it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

I thought this was a thread similar to that of "can I drive on just 3 cylinders".... at least this OP is in the process of fixing it.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinder View Post
II've been starting in 2nd gear and then shifting into 4th once up to speed. I was wondering, will it hurt my clutch/transmission/car doing this still when I get the replacement bushing and install it.
Puts more wear on the clutch disc starting out in 2nd, but how much is hard to say since technique plays a big part in it. And skip shifting hurts (or helps) nothing. Again, it's just a driving technique. Trans and car aren't affected either way.

Quote:
I was just wondering if this would help with gas mileage as well or would it be more harm than good to my car.
It would be hard to find a difference in fuel economy either way unless your driving route particularly favored 1st and 3rd gear for some reason.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:35 AM   #7
abinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
So, what you didn't say in the first place is that you're driving with the console off, and are moving the fore-aft cable directly with your hand, or are holding it onto the shifter for each shift? And you're just looking to skip some shifts? That sounds even hinkier than what my brother did, decades ago, with his '73 Capri when the shifter broke clean off, and he used a vise-grip as a makeshift (ugh, bad pun) lever. What if you had to shift quickly to respond to an emergency?

Have you tried binding it into place with zip-ties? I know several folks here have gotten by for a short while with such a "fix", combined with gentle shifter action.

As to your original question, you can start in second, but it does add wear to the clutch. If you wind it out far enough, you can skip right to fourth, but again, driving conditions don't always favor it.
I was originally just wondering whether or not starting in 2nd and then shifting to 4th would hurt the car or not. That's why I didn't say anything about having the console off and holding the shifter linkage up against the shifter level while shifting. I realize that isn't the best of way to do it but the zip tie 'fix' didn't work and it keeps slipping off. I'm only using my car when absolutely necessary to use it. When I don't have to I'm riding my Busa.

Again, thanks for the input.

Allen

REWARD EXCELLENCE!