SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2008, 04:09 PM   #1
Road Warrrior
Road Warrrior is on a distinguished road

Default 99 SC1 auto trans. - no 1st gear

Hey all, first time here, so I'm looking for some help.
I just bought a 99 SC1 for my son, he'll be 16 in May. This car has 128k miles on it but is in decent shape for the most part.

The biggest problem is the transmission doesn't seem to have first gear. Taking off from a dead stop, the car has no power and will only rev to 2500 rpm. Then it feels like it goes straight into 3rd, power feels good, and if I floor it, it will downshift and max out the rpm's before shifting back into 3rd again.

I've been doing some reading in the All Data manual about the transmission, and I think it's an electrical problem preventing the tranny from using 1st gear. The service engine soon light is on, but I haven't been able to get the codes scanned yet.

I did change the trans. oil and filter yesterday. The oil wasn't burnt smelling so I don't think there's anything major wrong inside. ALSO, when I took off the old filter, there was a large magnet stuck to the filter, mostly blocking the flow of oil through the filter in my opinion. Is that magnet supposed to be there, or is this something that someone else has done. I know most autos have a magnet inside the pan, but I've never seen one on a filter before. I left it out but put it on the outside end of the filter, refilled with oil and drove the car but still with the same symptoms.

Any ideas from you experts out there?? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Road Warrrior's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Road Warrrior reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Road Warrrior is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
rickystarshine
rickystarshine has a spectacular aura aboutrickystarshine has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 99 SC1 auto trans. - no 1st gear

It could be you need a new valve body for the tranny.
it could also be you need your charging system repaired. these trannies are computer controled, so bad voltage will cause an infinte number of problems.
Use the search function in these forums, this problem has been covered a gazillion times, you will find a vast library of information, if you search these forums.

Good Luck!

Rick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rickystarshine's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rickystarshine reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rickystarshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
banditkaine
banditkaine is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

my transmission filter had a magnet in it too.. dunno what thats about but when i replaced it the new one didnt have it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to banditkaine's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help banditkaine reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
banditkaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #4
rickystarshine
rickystarshine has a spectacular aura aboutrickystarshine has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-2 Sedan

I had this EXACT same problem, I changed out the valve body & it took care of the problem.
Still I would check to make sure the fluid level is correct, check to make sure the car's charging system is working properly & search these forums. it could be something else/

the magnet should be on the outside of the spin on filter, if it is to be used at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rickystarshine's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rickystarshine reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rickystarshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
AmericanImport
AmericanImport is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
1995 SL1

Light could be from the coolant temp sensor...It's a major input sensor for shift points and are known to have problems on these cars. Anyone will tell you the first thing to do when buying a s-series is go to the dealer and get the brass tipped coolant sensor instead of the resin one thats probably been chewed through.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AmericanImport's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AmericanImport reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AmericanImport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the Board.

Step one.
Get the codes read. Let us know what it/they are.
Once we have them there is a direction to go.

The magnet is factory. Chances are the fliter has not been off of the trans from the factory.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:05 PM   #7
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
Welcome to the Board.

Step one.
Get the codes read. Let us know what it/they are.
Once we have them there is a direction to go.

The magnet is factory. Chances are the fliter has not been off of the trans from the factory.
^^^+1

Which is not a good thing. Saturn trannys will last many miles if taken care of properly (filter/fluid change every 30k).

Get the code as stated above.

Also while your out, get a brass Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. This sensor is vital to many systems of the car including shift points and TC lock up points. Yours is resin and can crack sending false data to the PCM.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC0U53w_Htk
Video provided by richpin

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote