SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
core2009
core2009 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
Happy Headlights.. Very Unique

Finally Had some extra time on my hands and colored the front of my headlights black ..turning signal is in blue chrome and added 9 LEDS to the outside corner on each light ... Tweaks and opinions appreciated.

You may say driving fast is dangerous, but so is walking down the street ...
Saturn Ion 1....Manual Tran.
Weapon-R SRI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to core2009's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help core2009 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
core2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2008, 07:48 AM   #2
KevinMoire
KevinMoire is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line
Default Re: Headlights.. Very Unique

AWESOME.

Instructions

www.enjoiyourself.com
2004 Custom Ion-2 74k Original Owner (totalled)
2007 InfernoRed Dodge Charger SXT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KevinMoire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KevinMoire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KevinMoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

What's that white stuff all over the ground?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
RoadIon
Advanced Member
RoadIon will become famous soon enough

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

not to upset you, but i just don't like that mod.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RoadIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RoadIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RoadIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #5
ottmwz_finest
Advanced Member
ottmwz_finest is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Hm.
Black headlight housings on a burgandy car FTL
Boo to the yellow OE headlamps
Oooooh to the neat blue LEDs

So there's only one thing about this that interests me. How did you get that upper grille chrome? Did you have it dipped, vacuum metalized, or did you just pull out all the stops and paint the thing?

hundred miles an hour switching lanes like WHOA

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ottmwz_finest's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ottmwz_finest reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ottmwz_finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Looks cool! Not for me, but it looks good, I like the LEDs and I would like those in orange, it might look pretty boss..

.. but, the cops around here really hate anything but orange for headlights, we would get massacred.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:26 AM   #7
firestomper25
firestomper25 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

I deffinitely light the black headlights ...i want to paint them myself but aint got the balls ... too afraid to screw up and aint got money for screw ups.... but why did you paint the inside of the housing where the orange balb is... but i do like the leds but i agree with him need orange dont want tickets ... so how did you do the led's . but you really really need brighter headlights looking a lil yellow...... esp. with the black.. but you did do a good job and looks interesting.... its the time and patience that goes into some you like to do that matters not oppinions

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to firestomper25's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help firestomper25 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
firestomper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:47 PM   #8
hotubnguy
hotubnguy is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Like this Mod, I am going to try & do my headlights black, in the spring when the weather is better, so how did you get the side marker clear, on my sedan it is yellow..

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hotubnguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hotubnguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hotubnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:20 AM   #9
jjgigs90
jjgigs90 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

the blue looks out of place ...but overall .....its very original.

2003 Ion Sedan
Manual Transmission

Lapeer,Michigan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jjgigs90's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jjgigs90 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jjgigs90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:06 PM   #10
core2009

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Thanx for the input ...first the instructions for this mod http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105080

I do agree the actual bulbs need to be replaced but am on my third set and am tired of messin with them so thats how they stay for now (the clear corner lights can be gotten almost anywhere) the orange piece that was clipped in the corner of the housing I painted Chrome..... the LEDS are glued in ...use w/e u want just make sure its clear ..and they look a lot better in the real ...but oh well..

Coloring the inside of the corner light housing was a random idea I had to try to get a blue reflective surface ..it works so so ...

As for the chrome upper grille trim its painted.....how long it will stay as nice as it is now I can't say ..but I don't think it will peal or any such ugliness ...time will tell .......

Cops have never bothered me about colored lights ....I have had Extremely tacky blue corner lights ( 2 months , 5 cops, no stops) then I had purple corner lights( 2 days,2 cops, no stops) both looked terrible so I don't recommend it .......

Weapon-R SRI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help core2009 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2008, 11:30 PM   #11
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Headlights.. Very Unique, and ugly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:43 PM   #12
KevinMoire

2004 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinMoire View Post
AWESOME.

Instructions
Im more or less interested in the LED info.

www.enjoiyourself.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help KevinMoire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #13
core2009

2003 ION-1 Sedan
Post Re: Headlights.. Very Unique

To get the headlights apart put them in the oven for about 2 mins at 175....sounds a lot scarier than it is ....after you get them out use something flat to slide into the slot at the top of the headlight ( table knife) start at the oustside corner unsnapping the clips as you go ....it does take some prying and is easier with 2 ppl.

For the LEDs I recommend a series of 8 or 9 in a silicone strip ...got mine off ebay and comes in about 5 colors..... there is a small sticker on the back of the headlight in the outside corner ...pull this off to expose a small hole through which you can put the wires to the LEDs......make sure that you know where you are going to place the LEDs.. put a shot of super glue on both ends hold in place for 30 seconds ...once this has bonded run a small amount the whole length of the strip and press firmly into place ...thats it...for installing them .....just put the Headlights back together (they don't clip in without heating)
then put into the oven for two minutes and press the lens the rest of the way on ....one note the heat has a negetive effect on the LED wire coating ..should probably be re wrapped after cooling off ....
I ran a seperate wire and switch to the LEDs ...but they can be pinched into the headlight socket.....my friend did that on his halos so w/e......hope i didn't miss anything .....good luck

Weapon-R SRI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-19-2008, 11:28 AM   #14
QCs_R4_Girls
QCs_R4_Girls is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1998 SL2

Your first mod shouldn't have been your headlights. You live in PA. You don't need a front license plate bracket, so take that horribly rusty-looking plastic monstrosity off the front please.

I'm also guessing that you don't live in a highly populated area because otherwise you would've gotten cited quite quickly for having any sort of blue light emitted from your car. It's illegal, just like driving around with your underglow on, especially red or blue because those colors = police. I'm sure you would be able to keep the blue light in your headlights without a problem, assuming you don't ever plan on leaving your town. Do you drive on the highway with that car and those lights? They kinda demand your attention, just like driving around with a super-loud exhaust.

The white thing on the side of the headlight looks weird. What is it? (I don't have a sedan, so excuse my ignorance...)

However, the painted headlights look great!

"Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph."

3 - 2006 Ion Quad Coupe 2.2L, Manual, Black
2 - 2002 SC2, Manual, Silver
1 - 1998 SL2, Manual, Blue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to QCs_R4_Girls's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help QCs_R4_Girls reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
QCs_R4_Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:44 PM   #15
core2009

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Ah yes that ugly piece on the front ..I was just telling my friend how gay it was and that I need to take it off ......

The white thing is the once orange reflector that was in the headlight ...I just chromed it...

About that being the first mod it is basically the first cosmetic mod ....not really sure what to do to make it better ...other than lower it and put bigger rims on it
.....so broke ....that has to wait

Weapon-R SRI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2008, 11:57 AM   #16
KevinMoire

2004 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by core2009 View Post
....not really sure what to do to make it better ...other than lower it and put bigger rims on it
If you're looking for performance under 500 bucks, wait on the rims and lower kit.

Get an AEM short ram intake, muffler, remove your resinator, and replace the stock exhaust pipe with 2.25"-2.5"

There's a significant increase in power right there.

Just my 2 cents.

kev

www.enjoiyourself.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!