SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
lroyse
lroyse is on a distinguished road

Default Service Engine Soon light on, no codes

I'm new to Saturns, but not new to car repair so this one has me a little stumped. I am out of town with friends in their 2003 Vue, 4 cylinder stick. The check engine light came on this morning, and since we're out of town, and I don't have my code reader with me, we stopped by the parts store to have them check it. "Passed - No Codes". I thought they must have had a bad reader, so we went to a second parts store. "Passed - No Codes". What causes this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lroyse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lroyse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lroyse is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
dlighthill
dlighthill is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Service Engine Soon light on, no codes

I had this happen to me last year. It went off after a few days and then the next week my battery died.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dlighthill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dlighthill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dlighthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
bandit77
bandit77 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

my 05 did this a year or so ago while travelling through indiana. i filled up just over the border from ohio, and i think that the higher ethanol content of the gas sold in indiana threw the ecm for a loop. after running that gas through and refilling in missouri the light went out. i had it scanned at the local saturn dealer i work at when i got home and no codes were stored...weird, but it hasn't happened since.

Freakin' Awesome!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bandit77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bandit77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bandit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
lroyse

Thanks folks, I appreciate any help I can get.
The light came on about halfway through a tank of gas, so I guess that could be it. A little too late for it to be a gas cap thing. But even the gas cap sets a code in the ecm/pcm. I was really under the impression that when the SES or CE light came on, the computer had turned it on for a reason, and there was a code stored. This thing has no codes, and the light is on solid. The codes have not been cleared, because there were none. I guess I'll try disconnecting the battery to see if that will reset it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lroyse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-26-2007, 07:29 PM   #5
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Don't clear the code until you know what it is. If it's not an OBDII generic code, many scanners will not pick it up. Did the scanners they used have vehicle and manufacturer specific setups or did they just go with generic? If you're going to diagnose the problem, you don't want the code to clear. Also, clearing the code erases your freeze frame data, which can also be very helpful in diagnosing a fault.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:06 PM   #6
lroyse

It was a generic OBDII key-on-engine-off test scanner. I'm not sure if Saturns have a key-on-engine-running type test like some other vehichles, but there scanners wouldn't do that type of test on any vehichle.
There seems to be no degredation in performance, no rough idle, no symptoms at all except this light is on. Even fuel economy appears to be the same. It just baffles me. It is about a thousand mile over due for an oil change, (4000 on this oil and filter) is it possible that's the cause? If so, would it show on a KOEO test? Car has 72k miles on it, and has been fairly well maintained.
Might I suggest a scratching-head icon? LOL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-26-2007, 11:05 PM   #7
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lroyse View Post
Thanks folks, I appreciate any help I can get.
The light came on about halfway through a tank of gas, so I guess that could be it. A little too late for it to be a gas cap thing. But even the gas cap sets a code in the ecm/pcm.
Evap system may not run tests until the fuel level is low enough so it may just be a loose/improperly sealed gas cap. Usually the tests don't run until the fuel level is under 85%.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:59 AM   #8
lroyse

Well, the light has decided to go out. I haven't done anything. Not even refilling it with gas. So, as long as the light doesn't come back (which I assume it will) I'll never know what caused it to come on to begin with.
Thanks again for all your help. If I do figure it out, I'll be sure and post the answer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-28-2007, 09:08 AM   #9
kodak_jack
Advanced Member
kodak_jack is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

It should probably be checked just the same. Depending on what state you live in, it won't pass inspection if there's a code of any kind stored in its little pea brain.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kodak_jack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kodak_jack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kodak_jack is offline   Reply With Quote