SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
Michigan_Guy
Michigan_Guy is on a distinguished road

Default Choosing A 2005-2007 Vue. Input Needed.

Hello all,

I am newly registered but I have been lurking and reading for quite some time and I have to say I am impressed with the knowledge on the forum.

I have decided to take the plunge into a Vue because I really like what I see all around, but I am having a difficult time deciding if I want the 4 cylinder or the 6 cylinder.

Although I do know quite a bit about engines what I am looking for is input on both sides, from 4 cylinder owners and 6 cylinder owners.

My situation allows me that I will not have to worry about towing anything with it, but I am still worried about the 4 cylinder and being under powered.

What is the true gas mileage for both? And I really do like the Honda 6 in the Vues.

Is the AWD worth it? Or 2W front enough.

Thanks,

MG

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Michigan_Guy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Michigan_Guy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Michigan_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Choosing A 2005-2007 Vue. Input Needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan_Guy View Post
Hello all,

I am newly registered but I have been lurking and reading for quite some time and I have to say I am impressed with the knowledge on the forum.

I have decided to take the plunge into a Vue because I really like what I see all around, but I am having a difficult time deciding if I want the 4 cylinder or the 6 cylinder.

Although I do know quite a bit about engines what I am looking for is input on both sides, from 4 cylinder owners and 6 cylinder owners.

My situation allows me that I will not have to worry about towing anything with it, but I am still worried about the 4 cylinder and being under powered.

What is the true gas mileage for both? And I really do like the Honda 6 in the Vues.

Is the AWD worth it? Or 2W front enough.

Thanks,

MG
The only real reason to get the I4 is if you want a 5 speed manual transmission. I found it to be painfully slow and you've got to really thrash the engine to motivate the nearly 2 ton VUE. I'd stick with the front wheel drive V6. The AWD system is not worth the extra money, doesn't work very well, and reduces your gas mileage.

Best,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
kodak_jack
Advanced Member
kodak_jack is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Welcome! You know what they say about opinions, but here's mine. I too live where the snow flies for 6 months or more of the year and mine comes from Lakes Erie AND Ontario. I'm 5 miles from Ontario and lake effect is real nasty stuff. Despite that, I do not feel the need for All Wheel Drive. Front wheel is very effective. I wanted the polymer panels because I HATE fighting rust. I also wanted the Honda V-6 because GM can shove their's. Three intake manifold gasket problems on three consecutive GM vehicles has cured me. I have an 05 and am thankful that I didn't buy one older than that because there were a couple too many problems back then. Now that most bugs are out of the vehicle, they're going to an Opel design, made in Mexico with yet another dreadful GM V-6. I like the style of the 06/07 front end. The Dueller tires are garbage and, if you end up with the 17's instead of the 16's, the choices from other makers are fewer and are more expensive. The heater in the Winter is nothing any too great either. The heated seats, if you can get them, help with that problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kodak_jack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kodak_jack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kodak_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

You will hear lots and lots from both sides with this query. Hope you're prepared.

I agree with the others--go with FWD and a decent set of tires if you live with a lot of white stuff. AWD isn't necessary and a common source of problems down the road.

As for the engine, my advice would be to drive both. Both engines are fantastic, so you can't choose wrong. The V6 costs more up front but has lots of power, uses a bit more gas, and has a few extra maintenance items associated with it. The ecotec is cheap, reliable, decent on gas, and perfectly adequate in the VUE. If you'd like a manual, the choice is already made for you.

Drive both types, take the comments from rabid supporters/deniers of each with a grain of salt, and make your decision. You can't go wrong either way. Wouldn't it be great if all decisions were this easy?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
bronzestarvue
bronzestarvue is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY

I'd get an '07 (last year with the polymer panels), in FWD, with the Honda V6 (last year for that drivetrain as well). I've been finding that if I drive it like I stole it, the mpg truly suffers. Lowest mpg I've gotten so far was just a tad under 18, and the best was around 23. But knowing all those ponies are there with that Honda V6, especially if the tranny is in "i" mode, is worth it. Insurance is probably cheaper for the FWD versus AWD as well.

Robert (Norfolk, VA)
97 SC2, Fiamm horns, STB, Uni filter, Springtech springs, drilled rotors
07 Sky, Fiamms, muffler, drilled rotors, Fujita intake, reBar, tunnel brace, front chassis brace

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bronzestarvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bronzestarvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bronzestarvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
Michigan_Guy
Michigan_Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
The only real reason to get the I4 is if you want a 5 speed manual transmission. I found it to be painfully slow and you've got to really thrash the engine to motivate the nearly 2 ton VUE. I'd stick with the front wheel drive V6. The AWD system is not worth the extra money, doesn't work very well, and reduces your gas mileage.

Best,
Thank you all for the input. I am really swaying to the V6 2006 or 07.

Ritz I know your right about that litte 4 pushing that 2 ton sled around, it has got to be hell on that little eninge.

And the other post are making my think WTF! is GM doing when they just got this Vue on track, they change everything for the new models.... That's GM for you.

So are they getting away from the polymer panels? I know I was looking into an Outlook and they said that it was sheet metal, if they were made of polymer I would have definitely bought it.

Again thank you all for the input.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Michigan_Guy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Michigan_Guy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Michigan_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:53 PM   #7
Ritz
Master Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Thank you all for the input. I am really swaying to the V6 2006 or 07.

Ritz I know your right about that litte 4 pushing that 2 ton sled around, it has got to be hell on that little eninge.

And the other post are making my think WTF! is GM doing when they just got this Vue on track, they change everything for the new models.... That's GM for you.

So are they getting away from the polymer panels? I know I was looking into an Outlook and they said that it was sheet metal, if they were made of polymer I would have definitely bought it.

Again thank you all for the input.
2007 is the last year for polymer on any Saturn. As of 2008, they're ALL sheet metal.

Best,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-30-2007, 05:34 PM   #8
SaturnVUE04
SaturnVUE04 is on a distinguished road

I have a 2004 VUE 5-speed with about 35,000 miles on it. I'll say this, if you do more city (or suburban driving), or rural driving, go for the 4 cylinder. If you do a lot of highway, go for the 6. The 4-cyl is a little thrashier, but even at 3800RPMS (for the manual at ~80mph) it still delieverd 26mpg. If you drive the speed limit, I have few doubts that you would eet lower than 28 on the highway.
FWD will be fine. Here in Rochester, NY I survived the winter (somehow with the *****ty duellers)
I'd reccomend a 2007.
good luck!
-Joe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnVUE04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnVUE04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnVUE04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:55 PM   #9
IMkenNY
IMkenNY is on a distinguished road

Stick with the FWD.

The manual / 4 cyl is a great value and cheaper to maintain.

If you need an automatic, I would recommend the Honda V6!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IMkenNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IMkenNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IMkenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:54 PM   #10
SLAPSHOT
Advanced Member
SLAPSHOT is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
I am still worried about the 4 cylinder and being under powered.

Thanks,

MG
Then why even consider the 4 cylinder?? This crap gets old. Someone comes to the forum with doubts about the I4 motor and how much they like Honda, and then turns around and asks for advice about which one to buy.

//SLAPSHOT//
05 VUE 2.2L 5 Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLAPSHOT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLAPSHOT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLAPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:58 PM   #11
JamesAWD
JamesAWD is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I proberly the only oddball out the bunch, i have an 4cyl Vue AWD with the CVT which by the way failed on me at 51,000 miles. But was repaired/replace under GM factory warrenty. (knock on wood) I travel about 45 miles per day to and from work at roughly 60 to 70 mph down the Jersey Parkway. 20 dollars at NJ current gas price of $2.85 i had traveled roughly 154miles which gave me about 3 1/2 days of fuel consumption.

As for the AWD i wouldn't pass it up. I had owned FF and FR drive cars and the east coast winter though not long is unpredictable. Besides i have a slight heavy foot in the snow and believe me my Vue AWD has save my beacon often. Just this past winter because of the location of my job in the rural farm area the roads are not plowed right away and they are mountainess, I drove right past a duelly 3/4 pickup truck that was sliding down backwards because of the snow and ice on a 70 to a 85 degree incline. So i am kind of stoke about AWDs.

I purchased my Vue used i had test drove a fully equiped with heated leather 2004 V6 AWD which to me had too much front end plow the steering feedback was low, and it being not a Redline the suspension was too soft. But that my have been because it had 51,000 thousand miles on it. I like the 4cyl because feels much lighter in the front end, very little front end plow during braking and because of the electric power steering feedback for me is better. Not precise but i like it. So that's my input.

Peace.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JamesAWD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JamesAWD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JamesAWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:06 PM   #12
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT View Post
Then why even consider the 4 cylinder?? This crap gets old. Someone comes to the forum with doubts about the I4 motor and how much they like Honda, and then turns around and asks for advice about which one to buy.
It's the only thing that causes a stink on this board....I kinda like the challenge to my Ecotec/Hydra-Matic ego....very big.....LOL
The I4 rules in every regard except the drag-strip...If you don't give rats a** about gas mileae get the Honda (I kneel now) v6. Mind you, it is my learned position that the v6 is too much motor for the VUE frame, suspension and whatnot. Expect to have higher v6 maintenance costs. Good luck.

If you drive like your trying to save the planet and a buck, get the Ecotec/Hydra-Matic or Getrag otherwise get the v6 for lotsa thrills.....mind you, I seem to get much fun with my I4, but I am easy to please...

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mellissam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #13
Counterfit
Counterfit is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

I have owned both, an 4cyl with the VTI and My Precious the Honda v6. I LOVED the 4 cyl but ended up trading it away due to the problems with the transmission and no real fix for the problem other than to shove the same crappy part back in, I liked the styling of the original vue the best and if I could I would find a deal on an 05 redline that was driven by a little old lady on sundays. Having said all this I would suggest you to get an 06-07 vue unless you are really enamered with the look of the early vues, the fit and finish is alot nicer. As for which powerplant? I didnt feel that the 4 was underpowed but if you feel that your an agressive driver at all you should get the v6 because as hard as you'll be pushing the 4cyl the gas savings/cheaper maintenance will be very close to nil, plus the satisfaction of leaving most fart-can ricers at the light is totally worth it to me.

I'm with CoCo !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Counterfit's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Counterfit reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Counterfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:18 PM   #14
nakman
nakman is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

I've owned both I4 and V6 too. I enjoyed the I4 with a 5 spd and the only quibble was the short gearing for highway speeds. Constant 70 mph with the tach above 3000 rpm becomes a bit tiresome. The difference in mileage isn't enough for me to endorse the I4 as a fuel savings benefit.

Mel has been raving about the 4 spd auto with her ecotech and she's in the mountains so, I would suggest taking both out for a drive. The auto has a taller final drive so, my issue with the 5 spd manual would be taken care of.

Weigh your driving impressions against the cost of model/options. You get to skip the fake wood by going with the I4. When I was shopping I found the dealer kept quite a few V6 models well equiped and the I4 were "Basic" so, when you wanted upgraded wheels/stereo etc, you almost end up paying the same as a V6.

I haven't seen any posts from I4 owners voicing any regrets over not getting a V6.

IMO, I would go with FWD V6. Get the latest model possible of an 07 and have fun and enjoy the polymere while you can.

After 4 years with the 4 banger, the V6 was a nice "upgrade" and we do enjoy having the extra power to pass at will on the highway. Instead of planning ahead and waiting for enough time.

Oh, and we have dedicated snow tires for the winter which fits the bill just nicely.

2007 VUE FWD 3.5L, Storm Grey
2008 Honda Accord, 2.4l, auto, Black
(Pic is the 03 VUE, 4 banger, 5 spd, gone but not forgotten)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nakman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nakman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:42 PM   #15
kodak_jack
Advanced Member
kodak_jack is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

BTW, I try to drive conservatively and get an honest 25/26 in combined driving with the V-6 and automatic. The automatic tries to maintain 1500RPM and shifts accordingly. I see a big difference in warm and cold weather driving. I'll go down to about 20 in the cold weather.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kodak_jack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kodak_jack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kodak_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:11 PM   #16
Ritz
Master Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
BTW, I try to drive conservatively and get an honest 25/26 in combined driving with the V-6 and automatic. The automatic tries to maintain 1500RPM and shifts accordingly. I see a big difference in warm and cold weather driving. I'll go down to about 20 in the cold weather.
We get an average of about 23mpg "around town" in our AWD V6. On the highway, we get a bit over 25mpg. As kodak_jack mentions, it gets a bit worse (for all engines) in the winter with reforumulated winter fuel. The gas mileage difference between the I4 and V6 is miniscule in the real world.

Let's assume that you drive 15,000 miles/year. Let's also assume that gas is $3.50/gallon. According to Edmunds, the I4 5-speed gets 29mpg on the highway. The I4 automatic gets 27mpg on the highway. The FWD V6 gets 28mpg on the highway and the V6 AWD gets 25mpg. The FWD V6 is rated more fuel efficient on the highway than the I4 automatic. So using the numbers above, the difference in fuel cost on an annual basis between the I4 5speed and the "piggy" AWD V6 is $290. The V6 auto would use $69 LESS fuel than the I4 auto. As you decrease the number of miles driven or decrease the price of gas, the fuel cost deltas shrink even more.

In summary, the annual gas bill would be (assuming highway miles):

I4 manual: $1810.34
I4 auto: $1944.44
V6 FWD: $1875
V6 AWD: $2100

So if you're choosing betwen those 4 vehicles, the fuel usage difference is almost statistical noise. I'd base the decision on features and cost and ignore the EPA mileage estimates.

Best,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Old 05-31-2007, 01:47 PM   #17
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
... According to Edmunds, the I4 5-speed gets 29mpg on the highway. The I4 automatic gets 27mpg on the highway. The FWD V6 gets 28mpg on the highway and the V6 AWD gets 25mpg. The FWD V6 is rated more fuel efficient on the highway than the I4 automatic. .....
I like that whitewashing...why not use a standardized testing authority like
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/
They use the same testing method for each car.....
They rate the I4's better than the v6 in all respects (except a tie for auto I4 vs v6 auto on hwy).
However, I agree that gas mileage cost differences are really quite small. In the end, I suppose the cost of car is the main consideration. However, if you own your beast for many years, the gas savings will add up.

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-31-2007, 02:06 PM   #18
Ritz
Master Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellissam View Post
I like that whitewashing...why not use a standardized testing authority like
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

Spare me the denial. I got all the numbers from a disinterested source (edmunds.com) where a lot of us seem to look for info on auto specs and pricing.

Best,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Old 05-31-2007, 02:42 PM   #19
mellissam

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Spare me the denial. I got all the numbers from a disinterested source (edmunds.com) where a lot of us seem to look for info on auto specs and pricing.

Best,
Haha. They use EPA numbers...the OLD ones, not the revised EPA numbers....LOL
I guess those folks who use Edmunds like to live in the past when all was good for the v6......giggle...
Denial? I agree the v6 is a rocket for a SUV, but my lowly I4 auto outperforms (mpg) the v6 and I don't know how they figured the I4 manual was better on the hwy when it is revving 800+rpms more at 65 mph....
Plus, my Silven will outlast your drivetrain....
:>

'Silven'

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-31-2007, 03:03 PM   #20
homerec130
homerec130 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L

I have an 04 4 cyl with the VTi and an 06 V6 FWD. With my typical driving (30% city, 70% highway) I am averaging around 24-25 mpg as long as I keep my foot out of it. The 4 cyl (almost all city) is around 21-22 mpg. On the highway I can get it up to around 25 mpg. I had an 03 4cyl with the 5-speed and was averaging around 26-27 mpg. I like the added power of the V6 and really notice the difference between the 4 and the 6. The 04 is being replaced by an 08 Vue XR in the extremely near future (it was in the que for shipping on May 23).

My advice is to go with the V6. Besides the added power, you also get several other items that are options on the 4 cyl but standard on the V6.

Homer

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray
06 Vue 3.5L, FWD, Storm Grey (Wife's Ride)

08 Vue 3.6L, FWD, Sunburst Orange - RIP 6T70

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to homerec130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help homerec130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
homerec130 is offline   Reply With Quote