SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

Default Another positive review

From today's Globe and Mail:

With Saturn Aura, GM has finally created a player in the sedan market
JEREMY CATO

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

If General Motors had been building cars like the Saturn Aura in the mid-1980s, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai and other imports would have had a much, much tougher time winning over so many of Detroit's customers.

But let's not beat up on the old General too much. Apparently Detroit's car makers are not unlike children it takes a couple of decades for them to find themselves.

The Aura is evidence of what we might call GM's self-realization. GM seems finally to have embraced the idea that it actually should make cars real working people want to buy, rather than aiming for success with rental car fleets.

The point is, if you are shopping for a mid-size sedan, the Aura, especially the up-market XR ($31,080) is more than a reasonable alternative to a Honda Accord, a Toyota Camry, a Hyundai Sonata and a Ford Fusion, to name four.

http://www.globeauto.com/servlet/sto...cialGlobeAuto/

The author really liked the XR and all it had to offer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2007, 02:17 PM   #2
kaviation
kaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Another positive review

I still have mixed feelings about the Aura. I saw it for the first time at this years car show, and guess i kinda like it but I'm not sure If I can see spending around 30k for a Saturn. It did get alot of attention, as alot of people were walking all around it and sitting inside. I do have to say that I love the interior and the layout.

2003 Ion QC- Sold August of 2015
2016 Toyota RAV4 LE AWD
2004 Ion Redline
Meth Injection, WOT Box, Stage 2, Fidanza aluminum Flywheel, Spec clutch Stage 2+

I ENJOY WHAT I DO- I DO WHAT I ENJOY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaviation's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaviation reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-24-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
Seasoned
Seasoned is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

As much as I love my XR, I would take with a pinch of salt anything Jeremy Cato says, he's on the take with the car companies and will say whatever they want him to for the right price, just check out 'Car Business' on Saturday afternoons and you will see what I mean.

Having said that, If his comments make more people look at the Aura, thats a good thing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Seasoned's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Seasoned reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-24-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
Tvar'
Tvar' is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviation View Post
I still have mixed feelings about the Aura. I saw it for the first time at this years car show, and guess i kinda like it but I'm not sure If I can see spending around 30k for a Saturn. It did get alot of attention, as alot of people were walking all around it and sitting inside. I do have to say that I love the interior and the layout.
The Aura isn't $30k - the XE is $21000, and the XR is $25000. Those are very competitive prices (for example, the Accord V6 starts at $23350 (SE) and goes up to $27400 (EX-L)). Don't forget the linked article was quoting prices in Canadian dollars, which are (still) worth somewhat less than the dollars they use in PA...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tvar''s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tvar' reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-24-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
mr weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasoned View Post
As much as I love my XR, I would take with a pinch of salt anything Jeremy Cato says, he's on the take with the car companies and will say whatever they want him to for the right price, just check out 'Car Business' on Saturday afternoons and you will see what I mean.
Heh, good point. Are they any car reviewers who are truly unbiased?

I guess Phil Edmonston is but then he hates everything anyway!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-24-2007, 05:26 PM   #6
ronjohn
ronjohn is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
2008 VUE 2.4L

Quote:

$30K? I paid $23K for my loaded XE (leather and all options inc. 17 in alloy wheels). This is not a $30K car...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ronjohn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ronjohn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-24-2007, 05:41 PM   #7
habsr1
habsr1 is on a distinguished road

2004 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A question for my fellow Canadian posters, does anyone know if Car Help Canada (Mohamed Bouchama) or the APA have said anything about the Aura? I emailed Car Help to ask them if they would do a review or talk about it on the Lemon Aid Show. Have not heard anything yet except I hink one caller did try to ask Mohamed's opinion of the Aura but I think he confused it with the Aurora. Needless to say, the Aurora got a bad recommendation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to habsr1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help habsr1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-24-2007, 05:44 PM   #8
kaviation
kaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

The one I saw at the car show (can't remember which trim) stickered for 26,500 AMERICAN DOLLARS. Sorry, but I round that up to close to 30k. And unless you get 0% fin. it will be more closer if not at 30k.

2016 Toyota RAV4 LE AWD
2004 Ion Redline
Meth Injection, WOT Box, Stage 2, Fidanza aluminum Flywheel, Spec clutch Stage 2+

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kaviation reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-24-2007, 07:02 PM   #9
kaviation

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Inappropriate comment deleted by administrator.

2016 Toyota RAV4 LE AWD
2004 Ion Redline

Last edited by Charlie; 05-25-2007 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: Rude Post

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-24-2007, 09:42 PM   #10
Chevy_Rules
Chevy_Rules is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Guys, it's $31K Canadian dollars.

BTW: You're really doing Saturn a misdeed if you say how much your Aura cost and you rounded $27K to $30K making it seem more expensive then it really is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chevy_Rules's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chevy_Rules reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-24-2007, 11:52 PM   #11
mr weather

A base XR with no options is $32,330 CDN (including freight). My XR that I just picked up this evening (Yay!) was $34,910 because of the added Ebony leather and sunroof.

You can get a base XE for $26,240 CDN. There aren't any options but it's certainly well-equipped for what it is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-25-2007, 12:11 AM   #12
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
No you ignorant schmuck. Are you familiar with the term rounding up? I am simply stating that If a vehicle (any one) is let's just say 27k, I hope you are not stupid enough to believe that that is the price you will pay, I guess you never heard of tax, title, plate, and financing, and god knows whatever an ignorant prick like you would add from the dealer.

If you paid 27K for a car, and somebody asked you how much I would venture 70% would say around 30K for arguments sake. But I'm sure you wouldn't. I round up because it keeps things in perspective, for me paying 27k is just like paying 30k, I wouldn't do it, but that's just how I rationalize it.

Simple Math Wolf

= 3,000

Not much difference is there?????
That's just me, but by all means tell us what you think all knowing.
I don't think it's really necessary to call another member both an "ignorant schmuck" and an "ignorant prick", in the same post no less. Being that disrespectful only makes others lose respect for you and your opinions, and on an internet forum, that's all you really have (the respect of your peers on the forum). I'm sure you're familiar with the expression "winning an argument on an internet forum is like winning a race in the Special Olympics...."

Personally, I don't look at a car that stickers for $26.5k as a "$30,000 car". I figure that once I fully load it, it may wind up at close to that amount, sticker price anyway. But, anyone that pays full sticker for a car, even at a Saturn dealership isn't trying hard enough. Anyone that has ever bought a car knows that there are secondary expenses involved, such as TT&L, insurance, etc., but those are ALWAYS there, it's not like you will have to pay that much more or less on those "non-sticker" cost points on a Saturn than any other car. I haven't looked into how much insurance for an Aura is compared to a similarly equipped Toyota, Honda, Nissan, or even a Ford, Chevy, or *cringe* Chrysler, but I'd be pretty surprised if it were a considerable amount more.

People talk about the MSRP of cars and can use that as an easy comparison point for the cost of a car because it's a well-published, apples to apples (for the most part) metric for an initial comparison. Everyone realizes that yes, unless you get 0% financing or pay cash, you will wind up paying more than sticker in the long run. I got 0% on my Vue, so I do know exactly how much I will have paid for it after 60 months of payments. Even if I'd paid $3k in interest, I still wouldn't call it a "$30k car" if I financed $27k.

When people talk about a "$30k car", they expect it to have an MSRP of that much or more... not "gee, how much will it actually cost me to get out the door with this car after I add all my extras and TT&L and extra insurance on my new car vs. how much I was paying for my old car". You really don't need to blast another member for pointing out that "rounding up" by more than 13% is a bit extreme when we're talking about amounts of money equal to or greater than a lot of people's salaries! If I was talking about a lunch bill of $8.83, I'd round it up to $9, not $10, but that's what you did, and then proceeded to insult someone for pointing out that most people don't go that far, especially with 5-figure amounts. You really gotta relax man.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2007, 08:43 AM   #13
yankeeguybd
yankeeguybd is on a distinguished road

I paid exactly $21,000 + tax and title for my XE. I got 1.9% financing and I'm pleased with this beautiful car. I put $3500 down and am paying $379/month for 48 months.

I hadn't bought a GM vehicle since 1986 because I was a die hard Ford buyer. But the amazing people at my local Saturn dealership walked me away from my imminent purchase of a 2007 Ford Fusion.

I explained that the Ford dealership I'd been going to for years quoted me similar figures (with $3500 down @ $375/mo), and if Saturn could match it, I would buy the Aura (I liked the Aura much better anyway). I couldn't be more pleased with my purchase of this striking car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yankeeguybd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yankeeguybd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2007, 08:59 AM   #14
TexJer78
TexJer78 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
I don't think it's really necessary to call another member both an "ignorant schmuck" and an "ignorant prick", in the same post no less. Being that disrespectful only makes others lose respect for you and your opinions, and on an internet forum, that's all you really have (the respect of your peers on the forum). I'm sure you're familiar with the expression "winning an argument on an internet forum is like winning a race in the Special Olympics...."

Personally, I don't look at a car that stickers for $26.5k as a "$30,000 car". I figure that once I fully load it, it may wind up at close to that amount, sticker price anyway. But, anyone that pays full sticker for a car, even at a Saturn dealership isn't trying hard enough. Anyone that has ever bought a car knows that there are secondary expenses involved, such as TT&L, insurance, etc., but those are ALWAYS there, it's not like you will have to pay that much more or less on those "non-sticker" cost points on a Saturn than any other car. I haven't looked into how much insurance for an Aura is compared to a similarly equipped Toyota, Honda, Nissan, or even a Ford, Chevy, or *cringe* Chrysler, but I'd be pretty surprised if it were a considerable amount more.

People talk about the MSRP of cars and can use that as an easy comparison point for the cost of a car because it's a well-published, apples to apples (for the most part) metric for an initial comparison. Everyone realizes that yes, unless you get 0% financing or pay cash, you will wind up paying more than sticker in the long run. I got 0% on my Vue, so I do know exactly how much I will have paid for it after 60 months of payments. Even if I'd paid $3k in interest, I still wouldn't call it a "$30k car" if I financed $27k.

When people talk about a "$30k car", they expect it to have an MSRP of that much or more... not "gee, how much will it actually cost me to get out the door with this car after I add all my extras and TT&L and extra insurance on my new car vs. how much I was paying for my old car". You really don't need to blast another member for pointing out that "rounding up" by more than 13% is a bit extreme when we're talking about amounts of money equal to or greater than a lot of people's salaries! If I was talking about a lunch bill of $8.83, I'd round it up to $9, not $10, but that's what you did, and then proceeded to insult someone for pointing out that most people don't go that far, especially with 5-figure amounts. You really gotta relax man.
Well said!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TexJer78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TexJer78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2007, 02:06 PM   #15
sherwool
sherwool is on a distinguished road

Here's yet another postive review:

http://washingtontimes.com/autoweeke...4946-6720r.htm

This will shock some 'fans, but the Times particularly liked the XR. But the reviewer didn't much care for the trunk lid! The review did not address the GL.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sherwool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sherwool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2007, 03:27 PM   #16
SaturnPlanet
SaturnPlanet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
Agreed. There seems to a lot of undue hostility there kaviation. cool your jets.

We know more about what is less than ourselves, and less about what is more than ourselves.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnPlanet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnPlanet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread