SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
Bluesideup
Bluesideup is on a distinguished road

Default Any experience with eBay headlights?

I need a new set of headlights for our 2000 SL1. The originals were cracked up in a crash.

The local dealer wants $245 per headlight!

Saturnparts.com wants $145 per headlight

The local pull it for you junkyard wants $100 per headlight

The local u-pull it doesn't have any 2000 or later SLs.

So I went to eBay to find some lights and found these....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...DME:B:EF:US:11

At $75 they seem like a good deal for new headlights. I know they are not OEM Saturn parts so there may be some difference in quality. I replaced our driver's side mirror with an ebay knock off and it shakes more than the OEM mirror did. Has anyone purchased these lights before?

Obviously our Saturn isn't going to be at the Concours D' Elegance in Pebble Beach but I don't want to spend money on crappy parts or waste money.

Thanks for the help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bluesideup's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bluesideup reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bluesideup is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2006, 01:51 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: Any experience with eBay headlights?

I've been mostly underwhelmed by aftermarket exterior parts. I bought a brand new aftermarket driver's door mirror for my deer crash repair. Glass was nice and clear, no scratches on the housing, but the glass shook so much in the housing it was giving me fits. I got a pretty worn-looking used OEM via eBay; fit better and WAY more stable. I was also told by a body man that those aftermarket fenders you see on eBay don't fit worth a cr@p; you're better off going with used.

So I'd be willing to bet you could have similar experiences with these headlights.

Try http://www.car-part.com . It's a national database of salvage yard parts. It even "knows" what's interchangeable, so if you put in 2000 for the model year, it knows to look for the '00-'02 light. I did a quick search, and found a couple of pages of listings in the $75 or less range.

Are the whole lights busted, or just the lenses? I see some listings for just the lenses; perhaps you could reconstruct from them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:18 PM   #3
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

Buy used from the junk yard.
Ever see those fords and dodges that have hazy yellow head lights.
That is what will happen to those E-bay specials after a couple of years.
(from what I have been told, no personal experience)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:39 PM   #4
Bluesideup

It's actually the headlight frames that are busted. The lenses made it out virtually unscathed.

I wish there were some decent junkyards around here but there is really nothing in Orange County. I think most people around this area just pay for the new parts. This week I am going on a trip to Tulsa, OK and Charleston, SC but I don't know where the junkyards are in the area.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bluesideup reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-29-2006, 04:42 PM   #5
SonnyD
Advanced Member
SonnyD is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1

Well, it's 150.00 per pair, or 145.00 for 1 from saturnparts.com....chances are your OEM replacements will either leak or start getting hazy in a few years anyway. I'd give them a try, they'll probably at least be good for several years, by then you may be getting rid of your car, or sustain damage again anyway. Unless you are absolutely not going to be selling your car in the next 2 or 3 years, I'd go the cheap way out.
Regards Sonny

I LOVE MY SATURN!!!!
99 SC1 "Marvin"
2007 Harley FLHX "Street Glide"
Fender 50's Strat...The Guitar That Put the "Rock" in Rock&Roll

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SonnyD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SonnyD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SonnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:42 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesideup
It's actually the headlight frames that are busted. The lenses made it out virtually unscathed.
Of course they did. It's legendary. There's an old story that says that if someone actually breaks the lenses on both headlights of an S-car, it will mean the end of time, space and existence as we know it. (Seriously - look at some REALLY bad crash pics, and there are the headlights, intact.)

Anyway, I noticed that a lot of the listings on car-part.com say "backer only". I'm thinking that refers to the part of the assembly you need. I think I saw one or two of those for, like, $25-ish. (Bummer is, you gotta do separate searches for left and right.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:14 PM   #7
srl1104
srl1104 is on a distinguished road

Ive gotten new headlights off of ebay a few times and I have always been very pleased. All of the ones I have gotten have been name brand lights and were always excellent quality and I saved a ton of money buying them from there. Just be sure to look around for the best deal and whatch what they are charging for shipping.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to srl1104's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help srl1104 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
srl1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:31 PM   #8
Bluesideup

Thank you guys for all the advice. The car has 115K on it right now, I think I'll go ahead and buy the lights off of ebay. If they show up and are crappy I'll send them back.

Oh and they should make the entire car out of the same plastic as those lenses!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!