SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2006, 08:19 PM   #1
Steven62387
Steven62387 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
Dizzy Spongy Brakes

Ok so i was goin down the interstate and had to slam on brakes like everyone in front of me to avoid some plastic paysets in the middle of the road. the tires skipped and then finally screeched. Well after this the brakes were no longer working correctly.

I decided to buy new calipers, pad, shoes, wheel cylinders and rotors. After all was replaced the brakes were spongy, so i bled and rebled again. The back drums were adjusted so tight they were dragging, so those were adjusted tonight. Along with stripping a stud and 2 lugnuts yippee. And to top it all off the brakes are STILL spongy, i dont know what it could be. If ANYONE has any advice...please let me know...this is getting very irratating. It could be the brake booster or master cylinder. i just dont know

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Steven62387's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Steven62387 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Steven62387 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2
Default Re: Spongy Brakes

The only think I can think is that you had some air in the ABS system, and when the ABS activated, it let it into the rest of the system. You should probably have the brakes bleed by someone with the proper scan tool to reset the ABS (or something). You can't properly bleed the Saturn ABS brakes without a special tool.
If you don't have ABS, then this is irrelevant and I have no clue.
If you hold the pedal firmly, will it sink to the floor-if so, you have a leak somewhere, which could have been caused by a panic stop.
good luck

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:33 PM   #3
Steven62387

1998 SC2

nope, I dont have ABS on my car, and i dont think i have a leak anywhere, but there might be something caught in the lines. Is it a good idea to flush or bleed the entire system and put all new brake fluid?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Steven62387 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-25-2006, 08:39 PM   #4
andy_95sl2
Master Member
andy_95sl2 is on a distinguished road

yes, put new fluid in there. Use a turkey baster to extract fluid from the reservoir. Then, refill with new fluid. Pump the brakes and have somebody crack open each bleeder until new fluid comes out. If you have to, vaccuum bleed them.

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon -> daily & toy =)
2009 BMW 128i -> sold
2003 VW GTI 1.8T -> wrecked
1998 Saturn SL2 -> parted out
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andy_95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andy_95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andy_95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:08 PM   #5
Steven62387

1998 SC2

ok, but how do you vacumm bleed them? cant i just crack open the bleeders and just continuesly pump the brakes to get it all out?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-26-2006, 06:35 AM   #6
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

First off, you haven't bled the brakes properly yet. Here's what you don't appear to understand, so far. When you open the bleed screws, the flow can go two ways. Meaning you can suck air into the system as well as take air and fluid out. The proper way to bleed brakes w/o special tools is to have an assistant pump the brakes a few times to pressurize the system then hold the brake down. While they continue holding the brake, you loosen and tighten the bleeder screw quickly. You have to tighten the screw before all the pressure is relieved otherwise you pull air back into the system.

A vacumn bleeder can be found at any auto parts store. However, I think you'd be better off with some speed bleeders. They are available here. Many parts stores carry them as well. They are bleeder screws that only allow one way flow. So, then you can just pump them the way you envision.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:19 PM   #7
Bluesideup
Bluesideup is on a distinguished road

I've used my Motive Power Bleeder on our Saturn. It is the easiest way to bleed brakes for sure. I still have problems with a spongy pedal, I'm not sure if it is caused by ballooning brake lines or not.

Have any of you replaced your brake lines with new rubber or stainless braided lines? I've heard that as the lines get old they expand and cause a spongy pedal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bluesideup's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bluesideup reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bluesideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:49 PM   #8
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesideup
I've used my Motive Power Bleeder on our Saturn. It is the easiest way to bleed brakes for sure. I still have problems with a spongy pedal, I'm not sure if it is caused by ballooning brake lines or not.
Yes a pressure bleeder is another way to do it. You probably have ABS. If so, I'm afraid you'll have to put it in the shop to get the brake bled or replace the master cylinder.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
andy_95sl2
Master Member
andy_95sl2 is on a distinguished road

there is a very big difference between a spongy pedal and a pedal with long traveling distance, but effective. My car has a long pedal travel, but still stops well. Not nearly as good as my mom's car, but still good.

Over time, the rubber lines can balloon, but they are built with threads inside the rubber so that does not happen. Stainless Steel braided brake lines will increase your brake pedal feel, and thats one thing on my x-mas list

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon -> daily & toy =)
2009 BMW 128i -> sold
2003 VW GTI 1.8T -> wrecked
1998 Saturn SL2 -> parted out
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andy_95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andy_95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andy_95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:08 PM   #10
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

How to Bleed Brakes - The Right Way
http://www.teamscr.com/brakes.html

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:30 PM   #11
softspot
softspot is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

My daughter was driving my 94 sl1 had panick stop brake did same thing , found out that master cylinder was leaking , take mounting bolts off master cylinder at booster pull cylinlider away from booster if you see or have any brake fluid there you have blowan seal in master cylinder , i did and replaced master cylinder, re -bleed hole system my problem solve ,hpe this mite help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to softspot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help softspot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
softspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:13 AM   #12
Bluesideup
Bluesideup is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tip, I'll try to check that out soon. Our car is a very basic SL1 without ABS. The brakes just don't seem to be very effective at stopping, just like when I boiled the brake fluid on a different car at the track.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bluesideup's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bluesideup reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bluesideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:23 AM   #13
alcimedes
alcimedes is on a distinguished road

Just a quick reminder. Wear gloves when you're working with brake fluid. That stuff is particularly nasty and is absorbed through bare skin.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alcimedes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alcimedes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote