SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
DukeCitySC2
DukeCitySC2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
1993 SC2
Default FINALLY cured my front wheel shake!

'93 SC2

I've been fighting a front wheel shake that mostly occured at higher speeds when I put on the brakes lightly. I first thought it was a tie rod end, replaced that to no avail. Couldn't find any play in the rack, the lower ball joint, or anything. The CV's are original and a little sloppy, but this shake occured whether the clutch was in or not, and there was no noise typical of a bad CV when turning or accelerating. I was convinced it must be the rack but when I got it out, it was tight and in good condition. Nothing really looked obviously worn or torn.

BUT... the rubber bushing on the lower control arm, where the tension strut attaches, was visibly loose in the hole. It didn't look worn, or split, but I bopped over to AutoZone to look at a new one (complete lower control arm). My rubber bushing was less than half the size of the new one! Also, the washer under the nut on the tension strut was a dished washer, with the dish facing out. The shape of the new bushing was convex (like the washer should have been the other way). Even tho I had tried to move the lower control arm fore-and-aft, I just couldn't put enough force on it to reveal that the bushing was not really tightly clamped by the nut/washer.

So I sprung for a set of new lower control arms and installed them. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! It rides like a Cadillac compared to before, small pavement cracks that used to irritate me aren't even noticeable, big bumps are much tamer and quieter, and overall a whole lot of chassis vibration and noise is GONE!

Lesson: rubber doesn't have to be split, or cracked and missing chunks to be worn out. Replacing the lower control arms gives you three major components at one shot -- the inner pivot bushing, the ball joint, and the tension rod bushing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DukeCitySC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DukeCitySC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DukeCitySC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2006, 07:53 AM   #2
stevestar99
stevestar99 will become famous soon enoughstevestar99 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: FINALLY cured my front wheel shake!

It almost sounds like someone else had been working on your front end and they had slapped it together with what ever they had laying around.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stevestar99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stevestar99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stevestar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:47 AM   #3
DukeCitySC2

2006 ION-2 Sedan
1993 SC2

Everything appeared to be factory, but the washers could have been flipped.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DukeCitySC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-27-2006, 06:00 PM   #4
3.8TransAM
3.8TransAM is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1

lol

Last time I checked, rubber shrinks and deteriorates with age.

This occurs on anything automotive related.

Mine do appear fine by eye as well, although I havent bothered to attempt replacement.

At a 150k and oil consumption its not worth it unless it worsens.

I'm certainly not dissassembling the front end to find out, bit I highly suspect it just wear and age. It isnt rims, tires, or bent parts I have verified that everything is good.

Maybe one day when I find another 91-95 to replace my current beater

The car that is to dumb to die: 92 SL1

Fill the oil check the gas

Favorite quote while merging with traffic in the SL1 "I'm gonna die!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 3.8TransAM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 3.8TransAM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:17 PM   #5
DukeCitySC2

2006 ION-2 Sedan
1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.8TransAM
lol

Last time I checked, rubber shrinks and deteriorates with age.

This occurs on anything automotive related.

Mine do appear fine by eye as well, although I havent bothered to attempt replacement.

At a 150k and oil consumption its not worth it unless it worsens.

I'm certainly not dissassembling the front end to find out, bit I highly suspect it just wear and age. It isnt rims, tires, or bent parts I have verified that everything is good.

Maybe one day when I find another 91-95 to replace my current beater
What's irritating is that the rubber for the tension strut couldn't cost more than $3 a side, but you can't buy it separately and it would be a real chore to install anyway (single piece, pressed thru arm). I was tempted to find a urethane bushing for a 4x4 truck that would work, a 2-piece bushing, and just cut the old ones out.

My car also has 157k miles, and uses 900-1100 miles/qt, but gets 30 mpg in daily grind, 38+ on the road. That's a keeper in my book! Especially the way it rides now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-27-2006, 10:33 PM   #6
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeCitySC2
Everything appeared to be factory, but the washers could have been flipped.

The washer for the sway bar that goes on the nut side is supposed to have the "flat" against the bushing not the cupped side. If I remember correctly they are even marked for which way they face.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:41 PM   #7
DukeCitySC2

2006 ION-2 Sedan
1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman
The washer for the sway bar that goes on the nut side is supposed to have the "flat" against the bushing not the cupped side. If I remember correctly they are even marked for which way they face.
Wasn't marked. The rubber bushing that is in my old control arm is totally flat. It seems like it should have a flat washer against it (which it does on the front side). The new bushing is cone-shaped on both sides, and fits the concave side of the washer perfectly. That's how I put them on and it seems to be working great.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-27-2006, 11:56 PM   #8
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

From the service manual.

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...ze/big/cat/650

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-28-2006, 12:02 AM   #9
DukeCitySC2

2006 ION-2 Sedan
1993 SC2

What year manual is that? My tension strut has a flat face ahead of the threads (forged in).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-04-2006, 08:10 PM   #10
bldegle2
bldegle2 is on a distinguished road

even though you have turned the washer around, the factory way is concave out, not in.

however, turned around shouldn't be bad, it will 'tighten' the ride a bit as it will compress and contain the rubber bushing from splaying on compression, causing a tightening effect on the rubber bushing which transfers to how the sway bar reacts....

baldy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bldegle2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bldegle2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bldegle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:45 PM   #11
Bluesideup
Bluesideup is on a distinguished road

The tension strut bushings in the control arms are available seperately! I purchased mine from NAPA Auto Parts but I think they list them as a sway bar bushing. The kit includes four washers and four bushings (the two rubber bushings are replaced by the split style bushings).

I still haven't cured my front wheel shake.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bluesideup's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bluesideup reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bluesideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:55 PM   #12
ssicarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldegle2
even though you have turned the washer around, the factory way is concave out, not in.

however, turned around shouldn't be bad, it will 'tighten' the ride a bit as it will compress and contain the rubber bushing from splaying on compression, causing a tightening effect on the rubber bushing which transfers to how the sway bar reacts....

baldy
Potentially the washer can come into contact with the control arm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-04-2006, 11:59 PM   #13
DukeCitySC2

2006 ION-2 Sedan
1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman
Potentially the washer can come into contact with the control arm.
On the stock LCA, yes. On the replacement LCA's, no, the bushings are much thicker and the washer clears the arm by about 1/4".

That really pisses me off about the NAPA bushings! I'll bet they don't cost $70 apiece!! Are they a good fit?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-05-2006, 12:03 AM   #14
Bluesideup
Bluesideup is on a distinguished road

Yes they are a perfect fit. The old bushings just get pushed out and then you install the new bushings.

I think they are ten bucks or so.

But if it makes you feel better I can say they were a bad fit

Well in reality you have totally new control arms so you can feel good about that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bluesideup's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bluesideup reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bluesideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:26 AM   #15
DukeCitySC2

2006 ION-2 Sedan
1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesideup
Yes they are a perfect fit. The old bushings just get pushed out and then you install the new bushings.

I think they are ten bucks or so.

Live and learn... Yea, you're right, I "might" have also needed the ball joints or the inner pivot bushings...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!