SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2006, 05:08 PM   #21
rectifryer
rectifryer is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
1998 SL2
Happy Re: Will my car vibrate at freeway speeds if the wheel bearings are going???

I had the same problem and was just a loose axle nut...
yey!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rectifryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rectifryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rectifryer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2006, 06:46 PM   #22
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Will my car vibrate at freeway speeds if the wheel bearings are going???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifryer
I had the same problem and was just a loose axle nut...
My previous car had the same type of problem, I finnaly figured out that all 4 freaking lug nuts had worked thier way loose. I figured that out after thinking broken belts in the tire (they were old steel belted ones) so I was going to switch them front to rear (to see if the problem followed the tire) and I started with the suspect tire and was able to spin all 4 with my fingers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:13 AM   #23
angelnut
angelnut is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
Default Re: Will my car vibrate at freeway speeds if the wheel bearings are going???

I am also having this same problem on my 94 SC2. In strong wind, I feel like I am going to end up in the ditch. The front end just seems to float across the road in wind. And the other thing that bugs the crap out of me is when I change lanes and go over the 'seam' in the road...it jumps in the direction I am going, not really bad, but you can definitely feel it.
The vibration in the steering wheel ranges from 55 to 65 when it starts making the steering wheel shake. It seems to depend on the road I am on at the time.
The outer tie rod ends and lower control arms are brand new (lifetime warranty), all engine and trans mounts are brand new (from Saturn) and front driver's side wheel bearing has been replaced.

Next is new struts and strut bushings, if that doesn't help...then I am going to have a new rack put in and after that...swaybar/stabilzer bushings last. I have no idea what to do after that...other than give it a swift kick in the trunk.

94 SC2
208,000 miles

Lori
Evans, Colorado
Red 94 SC2
225,??? miles as of Dec. 3, 2006

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to angelnut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help angelnut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
angelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:38 PM   #24
Bluesideup
Bluesideup is on a distinguished road

I have this same problem with our 2000 SL1. It has new tires, new struts, new outer tie rod ends, new motor mounts, and new front sway bar bushings.

Basically I have a vibration from 65 to 80mph. With my hand on the steering wheel my watch vibrates badly enough that I can't read it. I've swapped the wheels front to back with no change.

The ball joints in the lower control arms look fine and the alignment was done at the same time as the rest of the work (about 2K ago). The car has 107K on it now.

How many miles are you all getting out of your wheel bearings? Mine haven't become noisy as far as I can tell. Do they go bad without making much noise?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bluesideup's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bluesideup reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bluesideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:23 PM   #25
angelnut
angelnut is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

I have had one side get very noisy, enough that you couldn't help but hear it...but when the other side went bad, it just clunked at low speeds, no grinding at all. So they do seem to act differently from one side or another.

This issue is driving me nuts, but I have to wait until next weekend to get the new struts and strut mounts on the front and then have it all realigned. I hope like heck that this works...because I don't even take the freeway anymore...all country roads for me. It would be nice to get this thing fixed.

Lori
94 SC2
208,000 miles

Lori
Evans, Colorado
Red 94 SC2
225,??? miles as of Dec. 3, 2006

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to angelnut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help angelnut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
angelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:30 PM   #26
froggy81500
froggy81500 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Wheel bearings will do this. So will out of balance tires. And many of the other items that could be loose in the suspension and steering. One thing I haven't seen mentioned are directional tires. Once a directional has been run on one side of the car, it can't be rotated to the other. I experienced something just like the original poster is having. It was on a '98 Sebring that we got rid of to get our Ion. It needed both front bearings and after they were done, I noticed the garage flip flopped the front tires. And they were directional tires. I didn't really think it would matter and we went on a trip about an hour away to see a football game. Once up to highway speed, the steering wheel would shake for about 10 seconds stop for a few then shake then stop, etc... And if I went faster, the pause in between got less and less. When we got home, I swapped the tires back to the sides they were supposed to be on and got the car up to 80 and it was smooth as can be. I wouldn't have believed it without experiencing it first hand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to froggy81500's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help froggy81500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
froggy81500 is offline   Reply With Quote