SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2020, 09:00 AM   #1
EchoMirage
EchoMirage has a spectacular aura aboutEchoMirage has a spectacular aura about

1995 SL2
Default Manual window regulator compatability

I can't find ANY window regulators for my 95 SL2, manual drivers side. Rock and amazon have nothing. I'm reduced to junkyards, but now gen 1 is so old, they're hard to find. Are gen 2s compatible? If so, how hard is it to remove an entire regulator assembly at a junkyard......drill out rivets I assume?

95 SL2 bought in 8/14 with 23K original miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EchoMirage's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EchoMirage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EchoMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2020, 11:13 AM   #2
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Manual window regulator compatability

No idea on compatibility, but I wonder if you could take two regulators apart and build one good one? That's what I did on the Gen3 power window switches. They're only available used. The local yard had one S-series and it was a Gen 3, but the switch was obviously broken.... I paid $5 or $10 for it after looking at guy sideways on his initial price. I pulled both it and my existing unit apart, and built one good one.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:48 PM   #3
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoMirage View Post
I can't find ANY window regulators for my 95 SL2, manual drivers side. Rock and amazon have nothing. I'm reduced to junkyards, but now gen 1 is so old, they're hard to find. Are gen 2s compatible? If so, how hard is it to remove an entire regulator assembly at a junkyard......drill out rivets I assume?
Have you done a search through this website?
https://www.partshotlines.com/parts/

Saturn 1998 - SL2 automatic
Singer 1952 - 301A knee driven

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:05 PM   #4
laser3kw
laser3kw will become famous soon enough

2000 SC1

I just checked Car-Parts .com and the listed many yards with manual left side regulators for both 2 door and 4 door '95 S series (you didn't say which you are looking for).
The price ranges from $20 on up to $100. Granted, the yards may not be near you, but I am sure the will ship.
Car-Part.co link

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to laser3kw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help laser3kw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
laser3kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:29 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The regulators are door specific. For a '95 4dr that means either SL or SW in the '91-'95 year range and for the specific door required. SC doors & windows are longer, the regulators won't swap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:38 PM   #6
EchoMirage

1995 SL2

I sent an email to one of those sites, it's actually in VA. We'll see if I get a response.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help EchoMirage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-14-2020, 02:49 PM   #7
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser3kw View Post
I just checked Car-Parts .com and the listed many yards with manual left side regulators for both 2 door and 4 door '95 S series (you didn't say which you are looking for).
The price ranges from $20 on up to $100. Granted, the yards may not be near you, but I am sure the will ship.
Car-Part.co link
I found that site to be a dead end. After calling each place that said they had a regulator some wouldn't sell it without the door, some didn't actually have it, and some wouldn't ship at all. I was 0/12.

-robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:36 PM   #8
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

No. They are not interchangeable - although the door is.. I found that out when my SO's 96 SC2 driver's side regulator died. Ordered a new part - didn't fit. Did that twice.....

So i took apart the door of a 94 - and found that one fit.

The guy who worked on her car before we got together had replaced the door - off a Gen1..........

Talk about pulling your hair out...

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:01 AM   #9
EchoMirage

1995 SL2

I emailed two people off car-part, and still no response. I don't think anyone cares to check that site.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-28-2020, 05:05 PM   #10
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

In what manner is the old one broken? Perhaps it is repairable. Pictures... I love pictures!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:12 PM   #11
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoMirage View Post
I emailed two people off car-part, and still no response. I don't think anyone cares to check that site.
From what I've found the people running junkyards are just smart enough to run the cash register, but asking them to run a computer let alone email on a computer is just asking far too much.

I'd also be surprised if any junkyards are officially open, email would leave a 'paper trail' if someone wanted to complain.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:15 PM   #12
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
From what I've found the people running junkyards are just smart enough to run the cash register, but asking them to run a computer let alone email on a computer is just asking far too much.

I'd also be surprised if any junkyards are officially open, email would leave a 'paper trail' if someone wanted to complain.
Not true! Two years ago, I ventured deep into Hoosier territory to Amboy Ray’s for Buick parts. I set my navigator to direct route thru the back roads. Ray’s was a great computer-literate yard, except the Saturn S-Series were picked to the bare bone...I thought I even saw chew marks on the interior trim

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:27 AM   #13
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser3kw View Post
Car-Part.co link
I just went through this. When you call they’ll tell you they don’t have any.
I got lucky and found 1 at a local pick n pull

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:56 AM   #14
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

So word of warning... '95 uses a different regulator than 91-94. Normally.

Reason I say normally is I own a '95 but it was a very early built '95. When mine failed I bought a replacement for a '95 but it didn't fit correctly. Did that twice. Then tried a '94 regulator and it fit perfectly.

Highmile
'95 SL1 705k and counting

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:02 PM   #15
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmile View Post
So word of warning... '95 uses a different regulator than 91-94. Normally.

Reason I say normally is I own a '95 but it was a very early built '95. When mine failed I bought a replacement for a '95 but it didn't fit correctly. Did that twice. Then tried a '94 regulator and it fit perfectly.

Highmile
'95 SL1 705k and counting

If you bought used - it may or may not be the original door....
BTDT

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:10 PM   #16
PrestonIII
PrestonIII has a spectacular aura aboutPrestonIII has a spectacular aura aboutPrestonIII has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1994 SL2

Here's an idea if you're feeling quirky.

In years past, I needed a driver's door manual regulator
for my '93 SL2.

BUT, while I had to disassemble my door, AND disassemble
a door in the wrecking yard, why not replace the manual
regulator with a power one! LOL

I DID! I grabbed a power regulator from a junk yard car,
and the window switch and wire pigtale from the rear door
of that same junk yard car. I just needed to run one
power wire to the switch which installed in the power
door lock switch hole in the door panel.

TA DA! I had a power driver's window, and 3 other
manual windows. LOL, quirky and adventurous, and
it made it my own!

It IS another possible solution if you can't find the
manual regulator.

Preston

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PrestonIII's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PrestonIII reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PrestonIII is offline   Reply With Quote