SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2020, 04:51 AM   #1
Mister_Cee
Mister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2
Default I known the SATURN acronym...

S orry
A bout
T hat
U gly
R attling
N oise

But, I've had my 1996 SW2 since it came off the showroom floor and there's now a rattle that I can't localize and mute (and, believe me, I've become pretty good at suppressing rattles in the car)

It seems to be coming from the lift gate but the latch isn't loose, and trim pieces that were loose have been shimmed so they aren't causing the rattle.

There are the two license plate light "fixtures" that seat okay but aren't tight. But I don't see how that small rattle could be causing the louder one I'm hearing.

Anyone have any experience with this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mister_Cee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mister_Cee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mister_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2020, 07:56 AM   #2
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: I known the SATURN acronym...

I thought U was for unbearable.

My '98 has been poorly cared for by the PO and everything rattles.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:51 AM   #3
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

My sun roof shutter rattles.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:53 AM   #4
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

I thought U was for Undesirable...

Highmile
'95 SL1 700k and counting

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:05 AM   #5
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
I thought U was for unbearable.

My '98 has been poorly cared for by the PO and everything rattles.
I thought it was for "unknown" which kind of fits in this case.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:41 AM   #6
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

My Saturn doesn’t actually rattle that much.I’ve gotten to be pretty good at locating the places that do though. It’s not a perfect method, but I usually just press on different trim pieces until it stops. There’s not always a lot I can do to fix it, but after a while you get used to where they’re coming from and how annoying they’re gonna be.

97 SL2, auto, 118K miles
Powered by Plastic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:05 PM   #7
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

First, the "gasket" that GM used to seal the license plate to the fiberglass liftgate is a cheezy foam thing that disintegrated 15 years ago on my SW2.

It was a water leak when parking on downhill grades that prompted me to fix it.
I used a roll of warmed up duct seal around the edges of the opening and no noises or leaks since. You'll need to remove the interior tailgate trim to do a proper job of it.

One other thought is to play some music loudly from the rear speakers only and with a range of frequencies to see if that reveals anything.

Another possible source of rattling is the very poorly-designed 2nd seat latch on 2nd Gen/3rd Gen models. Lots of buzzes and rattles with that POS.

Let us know how you get on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:30 PM   #8
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Other alternatives - a career in rock and roll or Army Artillery....

In twenty years or so you won't hear those pesky rattles anymore.....

Or much of anything....

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:45 PM   #9
Mister_Cee
Mister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2

Other alternatives - a career in rock and roll or Army Artillery....

In twenty years or so you won't hear those pesky rattles anymore.....

Or much of anything....

LOL

I was a musician, by trade, and stood in front of amplifiers for years. I think that's about the same level of noise saturation. I DO have loud tinnitus though, so I've got that going for me lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Mister_Cee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2020, 10:46 PM   #10
Mister_Cee

1996 SW2

Ugly, unbearable, undesirable, unknown ...yup they are seem to fit this circumstance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-30-2020, 10:48 PM   #11
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholbein View Post
Another possible source of rattling is the very poorly-designed 2nd seat latch on 2nd Gen/3rd Gen models. Lots of buzzes and rattles with that POS.
That one is by far the worst. I always have to shove something between it and the seat.

97 SL2, auto, 118K miles
Powered by Plastic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:58 PM   #12
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

That is why I have a full aftermarket sound system in both my 98 SL2 and my 04 Blazer. With the windows rolled down, the sunroof roller back, and the stereo cranked to 11, you don't hear any rattling

Well, not really the case in the Blazer... 1200 watts pushing a pair of 12"s, everything rattles...

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:59 AM   #13
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

I got used to all the rattles and buzzes. I’m married.

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:16 PM   #14
blueknigh7
blueknigh7 has a spectacular aura aboutblueknigh7 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2

True story, I had a German co-worker that I gave a lift once.

He was impressed by the mileage and longevity of the car, but when he got out and closed the door he turned around and stared. With a small chuckle that evolved into a laugh, he then took out his phone and took a video of the door opening and closing.

I asked him what he was doing, and he said that he couldn't believe that a car would rattle that much when simply closing the door, and he had to send it to all his German friends. I guess I'd gotten used to the plastic door sound by that point.

Good luck with the sound check. Have you checked below the trunk/spare cover and make sure everything's secure underneath? Maybe the screw for the spare or the jack's come loose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blueknigh7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blueknigh7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blueknigh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:39 PM   #15
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

The S-Series might be based on an Audi 5000, but the S-Series doors do not sound remotely like a door closing on an Audi 5000

I recently put wheel covers on my winter steel wheels for the first time since 1998, and I am impressed at the POS rattle, but not in a good way. I might go back to looking gangsta or, just turn up the pop music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknigh7 View Post
True story, I had a German co-worker that I gave a lift once.

He was impressed by the mileage and longevity of the car, but when he got out and closed the door he turned around and stared. With a small chuckle that evolved into a laugh, he then took out his phone and took a video of the door opening and closing.

I asked him what he was doing, and he said that he couldn't believe that a car would rattle that much when simply closing the door, and he had to send it to all his German friends. I guess I'd gotten used to the plastic door sound by that point.

Good luck with the sound check. Have you checked below the trunk/spare cover and make sure everything's secure underneath? Maybe the screw for the spare or the jack's come loose.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:59 PM   #16
Zeebins
Advanced Member

1997 SL2

I recently pulled the plastic panel off the trunk lid and I was surprised how much more satisfying it was to close with it off. That thing rattles so much closing the trunk it feels like something is going to break. Without it there’s actually a decent thud. (It’s also missing a screw for some reason so maybe that is part of the problem)

97 SL2, auto, 118K miles