SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2019, 02:16 AM   #1
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default How far to press the front hubs in?

All,
I have bearings installed in my knuckles, and the hubs are next.

How far do the hubs get pressed in?
1) until they stop moving
2) until the hub is flush with the inner race inside edge
3) until the hub is some distance from the knuckle

I've been searching the forum and haven't found much.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2019, 10:19 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: How far to press the front hubs in?

Bearing goes until it's stopped by the snap ring, knuckle goes until it's flush with the bearing.

148ft/lbs on the axle nut should be plenty to fix it if it's off. I don't remember if it's best to torque the nut with the weight of the car off the wheel or on the ground, I believe with the car's weight on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 11:55 AM   #3
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Bearing goes until it's stopped by the snap ring, knuckle goes until it's flush with the bearing.
Do you mean hub?

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-27-2019, 01:45 PM   #4
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

Bearing goes into the knuckle until it stops, at which point the snap-ring groove in the knuckle will be exposed enough that the snap-ring can be installed.

Simply put, if you can't install the snap-ring, the bearing isn't in enough; and the bearing can't be pressed in too far.

PS: the sharper edge of the snap-ring goes away from the bearing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 01:53 PM   #5
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Bearing goes into the knuckle until it stops, at which point the snap-ring groove in the knuckle will be exposed enough that the snap-ring can be installed.

Simply put, if you can't install the snap-ring, the bearing isn't in enough; and the bearing can't be pressed in too far.

PS: the sharper edge of the snap-ring goes away from the bearing.
Yep, I am good with the bearing into the knuckle. I am on the shoulder and clear of the snap ring groove. How far do I press the hub on? The spinny part that the wheel and tire bolt onto?

From some YouTube videos it seems there is a feature on the hub that stops it from pressing in too far. Can anybody confirm from experience?

Thanks all.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-27-2019, 01:55 PM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I meant the hub, not the knuckle. FSM doesn't specify how far to press the hub into the bearing but I've never seen it anything other than flush with the bearing races unless the bearing was toast.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 01:56 PM   #7
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
I meant the hub, not the knuckle. FSM doesn't specify how far to press the hub into the bearing but I've never seen it anything other than flush with the bearing races unless the bearing was toast.
From the videos I've seen it sort of looks like it does not go quite flush.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-27-2019, 02:06 PM   #8
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Make sure you support the inner race when pressing the hub back in, if you don't it could damage the new bearing. What I used to do was keep pumping the jack handle on the press until you feel a more than normal amount of resistance then stop. You will see that when pumping the handle the hub should go in with little resistance, when you feel just a little added resistance that's when to quit pumping the handle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 02:09 PM   #9
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

That 148 ft-lbs on the axle nut is all the "pressing" necessary. The hub will be tight on the inner side of the bearing and the wheel flange will be tight on the outside.

Again, can't go too far, you would have to crush the bearing inner-races that are also tight against each other. What sets the bearing pre-load is the dimensions of those bearing races, the axle/hub is just a big bolt to hold them tight together.

Do not press the hub in! That may damage the balls/races as mentioned above. Pull the hub in with the axle nut. Sure, you could press using the wheel flange (or similar) under the far bearing inner-race for support, but why bother? You already have that big pull "bolt" ready-to-go and have to tighten it anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-27-2019, 02:38 PM   #10
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

We made a tool to support the inner race for pressing the hub in.

You can see the shoulder that picks up the inner race here.

SKF has a YouTube video which recommends pressing the hub on. Not a Saturn but pretty similar.
https://youtu.be/vfrRavCAVIg

I can't see how this is worse than using the axle and bolt to pull it in. How would you get it in far enough for the threads to engage anyway?

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-27-2019, 03:23 PM   #11
billr
Master Member

"I can't see how this is worse than using the axle and bolt to pull it in. How would you get it in far enough for the threads to engage anyway?"

Not worse, if the bearing is supported properly, but not better; and redundant since the nut has to be tightened anyway.

It has been too long since I did one, I don't remember exactly how I got that hub in far enough to get the nut on. It must have been a "no brainer", though, or I would remember. Who knows, I may have pressed it since I have a press and tooling readily available?

Point is, this isn't tricky. You can't put it in too far, and the nut will draw it tight if you haven't gone quite far enough. Can we all agree to that?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-27-2019, 03:24 PM   #12
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I think I've answered my own question. When we pressed the hub out, the outboard half of the inner race was stuck on the hub.

Initially we tried to use a gear puller to get it off. That failed. Along the way we did use the gear puller to remove the remainder of the seal in the above picture. I could see a faint split line between the race and hub. Then I dremeled a slot in the race, and used a chisel against the slot to spin the race and move it away from the hub a little bit. Then we were able to easily pry it off with a pair of screwdrivers.

So the hub fits flush against the inner race. I'll press it on and stop as soon as it bottoms, as the 148 ft-lbs will finish the job if required.

Thanks all for the discussion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stuck inner race.jpg (52.6 KB, 57 views)

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-27-2019, 03:34 PM   #13
billr
Master Member

As I recall, that "split-line" due to the chamfer on the bearing and hub ODs is just enough to get a Bearing-Separator in there. Not everybody has those available, though, so a chisel or grinding can work if you are careful.

Sorry if I confused things by referring to both a "hub" and "wheel flange", they are the same thing in this case. Like I said, it has been a long time...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-27-2019, 09:40 PM   #14
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Here is the setup in mid-press. I can confirm you press them until they stop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg almost pressed on.jpg (61.8 KB, 52 views)

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-12-2020, 04:26 PM   #15
me.theuser
me.theuser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
2001 SL2
Wrench Re: How far to press the front hubs in?

I've done wheel bearings 4x now (across 4 cars)
I always buy the bearing / hub kit from MOOG
I've yet to see one fail yet
heating the knuckle with propane torch seems to help a bit
doesn't need a lot but it seems to help break it loose

The knuckle should be lightly wire wheeled after the old bearing is pressed out
pay close attention to the bottom of the bore
scrape the snap ring groove with a small flat head

I put a dab of grease and spread it over the bore press in the new bearing
put in new snap ring tap it around a bit to make sure it seats
support the inner race and press the new hub in till it bottoms out

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to me.theuser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help me.theuser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
me.theuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:36 PM   #16
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

I always shrink fit my bearings and axle flanges. Heat the knuckle to 300 degrees with a propane torch then retrieve the bearing from the deep freezer and drop in. Cool the knuckle with wet towels. Once bearing is hot to the touch repeat with the axle flange. It will normally go thru the outer bearing race but stick on the inner. Install in the car and pull it in the rest of the way with the nut.

on edit... do not use an impact gun to pull the axle nut up.

Highmile
'95 SL1 699k and counting

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote