SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2019, 02:41 PM   #1
Shive
Shive has a spectacular aura aboutShive has a spectacular aura aboutShive has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2003 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Default 2002 LW200 Power Steering Quit

2002 LW200 Power Steering Quit

Power steering was working fine. I parked the car and when I restarted it the power steering did not work. There appears to be a small leak under the reservoir. I cleaned it up and pumped out the reservoir two times and replaced the fluid. Power steering still does not work at all.
What should I check next ?
Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Shive's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Shive reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Shive is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2019, 06:15 PM   #2
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: 2002 LW200 Power Steering Quit

It might be a long shot, but take the power steering pump off the intake camshaft and see if the end has broken off. I have seen that just once but it may be worth a look to see. The pump is driven by the intake camshaft.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:18 PM   #3
Shive
Shive has a spectacular aura aboutShive has a spectacular aura aboutShive has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2003 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

That could be it because I don't think it pumping at all.
I'll check that.
Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Shive reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2019, 06:11 AM   #4
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really nice

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Take the return line off the pump and put it in a mason jar or something like that, Start engine for a second or two and see if fluid is being pumped into it. Keep it higher then the pump so you know gravity is not at play. Get A helper to turn key so you can watch flow, it should pump pretty fast.

https://www.infowars.com/ The answer to 1984 is 1776.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:03 PM   #5
Shive

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2003 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Thumbs Up Re: 2002 LW200 Power Steering Quit

Replaced the power steering pump. Problem fixed.
Thanks to everyone who helped me out.
Shive

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-26-2019, 12:13 PM   #6
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Was the end broken or did it have an internal problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:08 PM   #7
Bellyacre
Bellyacre is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I have LW200 with 310k miles. What fluid did you use?
I would prefer to put ATF fluid in mine. But, owners manual shows differently.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bellyacre's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bellyacre reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bellyacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:43 PM   #8
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

With 300+k miles atf will work fine. It is less expensive but may leak more. Lucas makes a power steering stop leak.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:48 PM   #9
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellyacre View Post
Hi,
I have LW200 with 310k miles. What fluid did you use?
I would prefer to put ATF fluid in mine. But, owners manual shows differently.
I'm a fan using the recommended fluid for the power steering system. Power steering fluid is specified for that unit because the hydraulic pressure is much greater there than in the transmission. When transmission fluid is under the pressure brought to bare by a power steering system it causes the fluid to bubble and thus weakens the system. Now, you're probably not going to use much fluid if you just want to add, but why use the wrong fluid? Power steering fluid is more expensive than ATF, but not extremely so.

Generic brands one could find at any auto parts store or WalMart will do just fine. Some brand examples: Johnsens's, Valvoline, Prestone, Castrol, AutoZone, O'Reillys, NAPA...lots of options (of course there's always AC Delco). Just make sure that they meet the equivalent part number shown in your Owner's Handbook. Some brands may state on the container that they are suitable for a particular brand only in specified model years.

FWIW, I use Johnsen's and have for many years.

329,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 02:38 PM   #10
Bellyacre
Bellyacre is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Pierrot.
I used a clear hose attached to the low pressure hose. I had lots of dextron III on hand. I jacked, and turned from lock to lock. Until the old black fluid disappeared, and the hose was now filling with red. After a couple of days. I realized it could be better. So, I flushed it this time with Valvoline power steering fluid. I could tell as soon as I turned it on the jacks. (engine off) Much smoother than the ATF. Thanks for the responses.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bellyacre's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bellyacre reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bellyacre is offline   Reply With Quote